No power, doesnt rev much. help

Started by GT4thomas, July 19, 2014, 16:20

Wabbitkilla

It is really a fine looking car though, do everything you can to keep it going while not spending too much and save anything you can for an engine replacement.
I know it's tough and you've really been unlucky.

Engines don't heal themselves but can limp along with care.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

GT4thomas

Its a pretty serious problem Toyota have created. I would of thought there would of been mass recalls.
Probably been discussed on here already.

Not im less to pick up the pieces    s:| :| s:|

mrzwei

I feel for you but the reality is that Toyota did recognise the oil control ring problem on the 1ZZ engine across its range and it did replace short engines where oil consumption was found to reach a certain level. They did this for cars up to seven years old. They also modified the design of the parts involved.

The problem now is that a lot of the cars are older and you can safely argue that it is reasonable to expect that say ten year old cars will use oil, not just Toyotas.

As said, it's a question of managing the oil consumption if you want to keep the car, otherwise, just sell it or trade it in.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Bernie

I bought my first 2 before I joined the club from a Toyota main dealer secondhand an 8 year old 2001 SMT with 35K on the clock and I also took out a Toyota used car warranty.
8 months down the line the oil consumption increased quickly so at a service I mentioned it now knowing what the problem was.
Sure enough they rang me to say needs a new short block engine and depending on ancillaries min £2,500 up to £3,250. I said I have a warranty they then checked and said it's not covered as it's a known fault.  After getting info from trading standards they agreed to take it back less an allowance for the 8 months use
I also know that for this issue they extended the warranty to 7 years for cars with a full Toyota service history. They never did a recall because a lot depends on how a car is looked after and serviced, because a lot are 2nd fun cars and don't do a lot of mileage some owners didn't keep to the service intervals
You need to get in touch with trading standards because you do have fit for purpose rights under the sale of goods act but the longer you leave it and the more you try do do yourself may reduce your chances
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Rick foster

Quote from: "GT4thomas"
Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Probably best to cut your losses at this stage and start saving one of Matts reconditioned units and the cost of getting it and fitting it.
We live an learn and I appreciate this is your only car.

I'd have to agree with this advice to be honest. It's all very well people saying return the car, insist on a replacement engine, insist on your money back, start legal proceedings etc but its not that simple and its not their money, time off work or hassle. In reality this is how it would have gone:

Had you taken the car back it obviously wouldn't rev properly, you have to by law give them the opportunity to repair the car for you so you couldn't just demand your money back. They would have gutted the rest of the precat and tested, it would still have been running bad so they would have taken out the main cat to inspect it, faced with the possibility of having to fork out for a new cat they would have probably either gutted it and not told you only for you to find out for yourself in 12 mths time when it fails the MOT (did it come with a new mot?) or they would have shaken out the worse of it and blown it through with an airline or flushed it out with a hose and put it back in, car runs fine now so they give it back. You then have the other issue with them of the excessive oil burning which is yet to be confirmed, I saw the picture earlier of the dipstick after approx 350 miles but you need to do a proper monitor, are you sure it was full when you got it? (Number of times I had a heart attack looking at the dipstick half empty only to see it on full on the other side, stupid dipstick best mod ever drilling marker holes into the thing!)
So if it is burning oil then you have to get an independent review of this, probably with a Toyota garage to back you up with some clout, this involves them topping it up and sealing/marking the cap to show its not been tampered with then you driving it around for 500 miles and then them inspecting it and writing an independent report to show to the dealer you bought it from, they aren't going to do this for free either. Toyota's report will probably say "in their opinion" which basically means nothing and does not make it legally binding that the trader should replace the engine so he will do the bare minimum cheapest option to get it by for the next 3 months which will basically entail flushing the engine out with a Forte engine flush which will probably clear out a lot of the crap and gunk in there caused by poor/no servicing which has blocked the oil ways and causes the problem. This is in no way a permanent remedy but it will probably get you by in the short term and thats all he cares about.

It doesn't make it right or fair but thats how it is, seen it all before  s:( :( s:(

My suggestion to you now is do the dipstick mod, top your car up with oil and monitor its level every time you get in the car, if its stable then every 100 miles so you can get an idea of how much oil its using and if it is actually an oil burner.
If it is then flush the engine out with and engine flush like Forte's and monitor again. I know some don't agree with engine flush products but if yours is a burner what have you got to lose?
And in the meantime save up the money in case you do need to exchange/rebuild the engine or to buy another car.

If I can offer you any ray of hope then I saw only last night, the very same person who had a similar problem to you a couple years ago, still driving around in their two and i'm pretty sure they haven't replaced the engine because the car certainly isn't worth that much. It was dark and they had the top down too so respect to that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It does have an mot, really dont know how it passed let alone got to the mot station.   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Ill try and do most of this. so just drill some small holes in the dipstick end?.

I dont really know where I'm gonna get £1400 for matt to fit an engine.

Could try the engine flush your wright about having nothing to lose, already lost it all.

My mr2 was a private sale, but totally shagged engine. It came with a full mot too.

The £1400 was because I told Matt with in reason to do everything that needed doing.

This consisted of

Fully rebuilt engine

New tte lowering springs all around as one of mine was broken

New discs on the back

Caliper rebuild

New pads all around

4 wheel geometry

New wheelnuts due to incorrect ones being fitted.

GT4thomas

Quote from: "Rick foster"
Quote from: "AckersMR2"I'd have to agree with this advice to be honest. It's all very well people saying return the car, insist on a replacement engine, insist on your money back, start legal proceedings etc but its not that simple and its not their money, time off work or hassle. In reality this is how it would have gone:

Had you taken the car back it obviously wouldn't rev properly, you have to by law give them the opportunity to repair the car for you so you couldn't just demand your money back. They would have gutted the rest of the precat and tested, it would still have been running bad so they would have taken out the main cat to inspect it, faced with the possibility of having to fork out for a new cat they would have probably either gutted it and not told you only for you to find out for yourself in 12 mths time when it fails the MOT (did it come with a new mot?) or they would have shaken out the worse of it and blown it through with an airline or flushed it out with a hose and put it back in, car runs fine now so they give it back. You then have the other issue with them of the excessive oil burning which is yet to be confirmed, I saw the picture earlier of the dipstick after approx 350 miles but you need to do a proper monitor, are you sure it was full when you got it? (Number of times I had a heart attack looking at the dipstick half empty only to see it on full on the other side, stupid dipstick best mod ever drilling marker holes into the thing!)
So if it is burning oil then you have to get an independent review of this, probably with a Toyota garage to back you up with some clout, this involves them topping it up and sealing/marking the cap to show its not been tampered with then you driving it around for 500 miles and then them inspecting it and writing an independent report to show to the dealer you bought it from, they aren't going to do this for free either. Toyota's report will probably say "in their opinion" which basically means nothing and does not make it legally binding that the trader should replace the engine so he will do the bare minimum cheapest option to get it by for the next 3 months which will basically entail flushing the engine out with a Forte engine flush which will probably clear out a lot of the crap and gunk in there caused by poor/no servicing which has blocked the oil ways and causes the problem. This is in no way a permanent remedy but it will probably get you by in the short term and thats all he cares about.

It doesn't make it right or fair but thats how it is, seen it all before  s:( :( s:(

My suggestion to you now is do the dipstick mod, top your car up with oil and monitor its level every time you get in the car, if its stable then every 100 miles so you can get an idea of how much oil its using and if it is actually an oil burner.
If it is then flush the engine out with and engine flush like Forte's and monitor again. I know some don't agree with engine flush products but if yours is a burner what have you got to lose?
And in the meantime save up the money in case you do need to exchange/rebuild the engine or to buy another car.

If I can offer you any ray of hope then I saw only last night, the very same person who had a similar problem to you a couple years ago, still driving around in their two and i'm pretty sure they haven't replaced the engine because the car certainly isn't worth that much. It was dark and they had the top down too so respect to that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It does have an mot, really dont know how it passed let alone got to the mot station.   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Ill try and do most of this. so just drill some small holes in the dipstick end?.

I dont really know where I'm gonna get £1400 for matt to fit an engine.

Could try the engine flush your wright about having nothing to lose, already lost it all.

My mr2 was a private sale, but totally shagged engine. It came with a full mot too.

The £1400 was because I told Matt with in reason to do everything that needed doing.

This consisted of

Fully rebuilt engine

New tte lowering springs all around as one of mine was broken

New discs on the back

Caliper rebuild

New pads all around

4 wheel geometry

New wheelnuts due to incorrect ones being fitted.

Price seems very reasonable.

Rick foster

Very.

GT4thomas

Not really getting anywhere with the dealer, been on the phone and this is the latest email.

me:

"Hi again Tom here, bought the MR2 from you few weeks ago.

Its STILL burning an obscene amount of oil, about 1 litre every 50-60 miles. Costing alot of money to keep putting oil in.

Ive had a few quote's from garages for engine rebuilds all in the region of £1000-£1500 inc labour.

What do you want to do next ?, i either need you to repair the engine or i return the car for a full refund.

Regards Thomas ."

Dealer reply:

"you did buy the car trade without any warranty at your request. also if you have carried on driving the car after you knew there was a fault you could have done more damage to the vehicle. as we said before you were offered a warranty but refused it as you wanted to buy the car for a lot less cheaper price,stating you were good with cars and could do any work needed so you would take the car trade with no warranty, am i correct in saying that is what you said?"

Couple things I never "refused" his warranty, i didn't want to pay the extra £100 for his warranty. I thought all cars have one from a dealer for a few months ?.

Also the car was up for £2995 i offered £2600 and he took it. I thought that's called haggling ?, not this trade thing witch i didn't understand and he didn't explain to me.

Any advise is appreciated. Or options.

Davegtst

It's nothing to do with warrantee, it's not fit for purpose.  You need to read up about the sale of goods act.

mrzwei

Totally screwed up this post, sorry.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

wotugonado

You may have refused an extended or improved warranty but that doesnt mean that he can absolve himself of any responsibility as a car dealer, and ignore your rights as a customer.
Did you pay him cash for the car,and get a full receipt ? as he may not have declared this in company receipts which could explain why he is reluctant to have the car back.
But may help you as im sure the inland revenue would be very interested in him not declaring income   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As for continuing to drive the car whilst knowing there was fault, weren't you at his previous request establishing there was a genuine fault. By monitoring the oil
you can now confirm that there is definitely a problem with the oil consumption and it is woefully short of toyotas recommended tolerances. He now has acknowledged there is a fault in his response and now you need to speak to TRADING STANDARDS so you can quote verbatim, what they tell you your consumer rights are.

The longer you delay the more your playing into this ar$es hands.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

AckersMR2

Unfortunately the best advice for you were given was at the beginning if all this, the trader acknowledged there was a problem when he offered to replace the precat, having not taken him up on this he is now washing his hands of any further issues saying that by driving the car with the known faults you are accepting it as it is and he is placing any further damage directly in your lap.  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

GT4thomas

Quote from: "wotugonado"You may have refused an extended or improved warranty but that doesnt mean that he can absolve himself of any responsibility as a car dealer, and ignore your rights as a customer.
Did you pay him cash for the car,and get a full receipt ? as he may not have declared this in company receipts which could explain why he is reluctant to have the car back.
But may help you as I'm sure the inland revenue would be very interested in him not declaring income   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As for continuing to drive the car whilst knowing there was fault, weren't you at his previous request establishing there was a genuine fault. By monitoring the oil
you can now confirm that there is definitely a problem with the oil consumption and it is woefully short of toyotas recommended tolerances. He now has acknowledged there is a fault in his response and now you need to speak to TRADING STANDARDS so you can quote verbatim, what they tell you your consumer rights are.

Yeh paid cash and have a full receipt.

Seams strange just by writing the words 'trade' in biro on the receipt that that gets him a get out of jail free card.

Quote from: "AckersMR2"Unfortunately the best advice for you were given was at the beginning if all this, the trader acknowledged there was a problem when he offered to replace the precat, having not taken him up on this he is now washing his hands of any further issues saying that by driving the car with the known faults you are accepting it as it is and he is placing any further damage directly in your lap.  s:( :( s:(

He didnt offer he just said theres one on ebay for £40, witch had been gutted. No mention of him paying for it. I have the email showing it.

bluesmoke

Quote from: "wotugonado"You may have refused an extended or improved warranty but that doesnt mean that he can absolve himself of any responsibility as a car dealer, and ignore your rights as a customer.
But may help you as I'm sure the inland revenue would be very interested in him not declaring income   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Yeh paid cash and have a full receipt.

Seams strange just by writing the words 'trade' in biro on the receipt that that gets him a get out of jail free card.

It doesn't, so please don't let him fob you off with it. The sale of goods act states that a fault like this must be PROVEN to have not been present at point of sale, otherwise the dealer has to suck it up and sort it out. Honestly, don't take this laying down.

carolineasb

You NEED to go to Trading Standards!!!  They may already have complaints about this garage!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Bernie

Sorry for your issues I can't emphasise enough give him the ultimatum now it's not fit for purpose unless he either takes it back or repairs you ate going to Trading Standards the warranty is irrelevant and you are not a dealer so it's not a trade sale end of
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Anonymous

Been following this post from the start and have to say I'm surprised that people are still responding after all this time, the OP hasn't really taken anything on board and is still hoping for some sort of miracle that will cure an obvious knackered engine, the chance to use a get out of jail free card expired loooooooong ago and I'm sorry to say that all the "Fit for purpose" option would be eliminated......Especially if the seller gets a copy of this thread.

GT4thomas

Quote from: "Les"Been following this post from the start and have to say I'm surprised that people are still responding after all this time, the OP hasn't really taken anything on board and is still hoping for some sort of miracle that will cure an obvious knackered engine, the chance to use a get out of jail free card expired loooooooong ago and I'm sorry to say that all the "Fit for purpose" option would be eliminated......Especially if the seller gets a copy of this thread.

He sold me car witch he knew was broken, and is now not willing to repair of refund me. Why does it matter if he sees this thread?.

He is the one in the wrong not playing by the rules.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Les"Been following this post from the start and have to say I'm surprised that people are still responding after all this time, the OP hasn't really taken anything on board and is still hoping for some sort of miracle that will cure an obvious knackered engine, the chance to use a get out of jail free card expired loooooooong ago and I'm sorry to say that all the "Fit for purpose" option would be eliminated......Especially if the seller gets a copy of this thread.

He sold me car witch he knew was broken, and is now not willing to repair of refund me. Why does it matter if he sees this thread?.

He is the one in the wrong not playing by the rules.

Then stop emailing him and go back and see him, as you are just going round in circles and if you do it now then he will win. Your concerned about your job and getting to work, can I then ask what are you going to do when the engine does let go which I guess will be sooner than later at your oil usage. How will you get to work then?

Anonymous

I had something similar a couple of years ago. Here's how I sorted it out.

I was Trying to buy my first home, so I sold my 2yr old shiny BMW 123d and bought an old 2004 vectra Sri from a "reputable" garage. Quite quickly things went wrong and I was faced with a £1200 repair bill. Under their instruction, I took it to their garage who said there was nothin wrong, so the dealer ran with that and said no case to answer.

So I took a day off work, drove it back to the dealer. Walked in, very politely asked them to either pay to have the car fixed, give me a full refund, replace it with another car, OR I would park it across the entrance to their four court for the day and tell anyone trying to visit just what they are like.

I didn't want to go vigilantly with them, but I had to.

The next day my vectra was in another garage having it's repairs carried out.

Go back there, get your facts straight, know what you want as an outcome before you go in, BE POLITE BUT FIRM. Don't leave until you are happy.

OR close this thread and save up for an engine rebuild

GT4thomas

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

This thread can be closed now.

Wabbitkilla

[mod] Thread locked at ops request, good luck with the car whatever your decision [/mod]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: