No power, doesnt rev much. help

Started by GT4thomas, July 19, 2014, 16:20

Davegtst

Seriously mate your engine has had it.  Take it back now, do not use it for anything else and stop wasting more money on it.  The dealer had sold you a lemon.  If you can't afford the petrol how are you going to afford an engine rebuild because that is what it needs.

GT4thomas

Ill take it back as soon as funds allow. (next week should be)

Wabbitkilla

You only have a limited amount of time to take it back, worth contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau, at least that is free.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

s12vea

Quote from: "GT4thomas"Ill take it back as soon as funds allow.

Mate you need to get that car back to the dealership ASAP!
Don't give the dealer any way of wriggling out of repairing / refunding
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Davegtst

Oh and don't tell them you have been trying to fix it.  The dealer will most likely say you have killed it.

GT4thomas

Its 150 mile round trip witch at the moment i cant afford to drive that far. Will give them a ring on monday. Only had the car a week, im sure they will do something about it.

They gave me a courtesy car while the mot was being done.

GT4thomas

Quote from: "Davegtst"Oh and don't tell them you have been trying to fix it.  The dealer will most likely say you have killed it.

Ok i wont.

moorx

Hope you manage to get it sorted.  Gutted for you   s:( :( s:(

GT4thomas

Could a clogged fuel filter cause any of my above issues ?. Car had been sat for a very long time.

I read that the filter is in the tank and is a bit of a pig to replace ?. Possibly never been replaced?.

Wabbitkilla

You are using large amounts of oil, the plugs are soaked.
It's more than likely the precats are soiled, breaking down, or broken down blocking the main catalyst.
My car has 126000 miles on the original fuel filter and, touch wood, no problem with it.
I know of one car way beyond that on original filter.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

GT4thomas

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"You are using large amounts of oil, the plugs are soaked.
It's more than likely the precats are soiled, breaking down, or broken down blocking the main catalyst.
My car has 126000 miles on the original fuel filter and, touch wood, no problem with it.
I know of one car way beyond that on original filter.

It has used some since ive had it.
I have an O2 sensor socket here, so i can check the precats. Well look through the o2 sensor hole at least and check condition there.

Fin

Parts of your problem do sound like the trouble I had with a blocked cat.
Tested OK, but a partial failure/blockage meant I couldn't get over 3000 revs or up hills easily. May be worth mentioning as a possibility when you take it back.
BUT the oil burning is a killer!
The Sun is out, the sky is blue,
The roof is down on my MR2,
And I\'m grinning, grinning ear to ear!

GT4thomas

Well here's what i found when i took out the O2 sensors   s:( :( s:(  

As you can see left side has completely collapsed, and right side is well on its way   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

So i guess its all fallen to the bottom and blocking up the main cat thus restricting exhaust flow and power massively.

Can i save the engine buy gutting cat and fitting new main cat ?, or does this mean new engine ?.

Treboeth

I think it means take it back for a refund sorry.

loadswine

Really sorry to see your woes here. Yes, return the car just as soon as you can. It does look a bit terminal I'm afraid. It would need a new engine and probably a new cat as well, I would think.
If the supplier was a bona fide trader, you should be okay for getting a refund.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Yep pre cat failure is due to the oil consumption that will get worse. So in this cars case the engine will need to be replaced and very likely new cat as that will most likely why the power is down.

also please take note reguarding that this is a big repair to fix properly ie the engine as well as the cat to sort and will cost £1000+. Also just changing the cat will give you more power as the restriction will be gone but that engine is still dying.

GT4thomas

Ugh stuck between a rock and a hard place. This has messed my life/work right up   s:( :( s:(  

Should of just kept that bloody GT4   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

loadswine

I bet the disruption will just be temporary, rotten thing to happen, but if you can just get through this, you'll be enjoying stress free, top down fun very soon. We are right behind you.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

As nige said you will get through it. If it wasn't for this club my 2 would of been a tin can years ago. Ive had the same issue you were in with an oil burner, then went for tuned Na at a big cost that ran so bad due to its ecu i took it back off the road. Then spent the last three years building and working out a turbo kit hitting many obstacles on the way. But now in at the other side with a healthy 2 that i can drive top down actually enjoying life.

this is just a set back but stick with it and you will see light at the end of the tunnel if not in this one, then in another one that works and performs as it should do.

GT4thomas

Gonna see what i can do.

Eastsoutheast

Gutted for you but your actions now (and immediately) will minimise the cost and aggro to you. Call the dealer and advise him of the issues, advise him you wish to reject the car under the sale of goods act. Send him an email and written letter confirming the same and the reasons why.

I suggest you push for a refund and look for an alternative although you may want to give him the opportunity of fixing the car if its the one you want. Just remember he could bodge a repair to minimise his loss therefore maximising your loss in the long run.

Whatever you do don't delay and if needed contact trading standards/CAB on Monday to confirm your rights and next steps to protect yourself.

I am a very new owner of a MR2 and am also worried about this pre-cat problem which does seem to be a major flaw in the cars design but,,,,,,,

Its a great car and despite this flaw I am sure will prove to put more smiles on your face pound for pound than the majority of alternatives so stick in there.

Best of luck and hoping it goes well for you.

GT4thomas

Calling to dealer today for a refund. Im 90% sure they wont replace the engine, they would just bodge it.

Such a shame   s:( :( s:(

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "GT4thomas"Calling to dealer today for a refund. I'm 90% sure they wont replace the engine, they would just bodge it.

Yup, nice looking little car   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Commiserations, there are so many if's and possibles in the world but you're doing the right thing asking for a refund.

Good luck   s:) :) s:)

StuC

Quote from: "GT4thomas"Calling to dealer today for a refund. I'm 90% sure they wont replace the engine, they would just bodge it.

I am inclined to agree with you about the bodge. Let us know how you get on.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

AckersMR2

Sorry to read about your woes  s:( :( s:(

On the subject of returning the car for a refund, I think that is your best option but i'm not sure where you stand legally if the trader offers to repair the car for you and whether you can reject that in favour of a full refund?
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: