Exhaust manifold

Started by Webrondek, July 22, 2014, 09:34

Webrondek

Hi All
I'am thinking of replacing my exhaust manifold with the one off ebay which is £89.99 plus £30 p&p.
I would like to know does manifold fit OK and do the heat shields fit onto manifold OK.
Thanks
Derek

Mr X

Quote from: "Webrondek"Hi All
I'am thinking of replacing my exhaust manifold with the one off ebay which is £89.99 plus £30 p&p.
I would like to know does manifold fit OK and do the heat shields fit onto manifold OK.
Thanks
Derek

Hi Derek, welcome to the club!

A link to know what you're looking at would be nice  s;) ;) s;)  but I have one of the ebay stainless manifolds on mine (£90ish). The cheap ones, like mine, don't have bolt holes for the normal manifold supports OR for the heat shields.

You will need to add something to support it at the bottom end where it connects to the main CAT. Removing the heat shields isn't much of an issue.
 I've had it installed now for something like 5 years without it cracking. I welded an L shape piece of metal to the bottom it so I could bolt it at the bottom to the block. Without doing this or something similar to support it, I don't think any manifold would last very long.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Webrondek

Hi
It's the one from jdmhondaparts in USA it appears to have the right brackets for heat shields and support to
the block .
Thanks for reply
Derek

godspeed

You could just post the link, dude  s:) :) s:)

I am also after one  s;) ;) s;)

Webrondek

Hi
I fitted new exhaust manifold ebay item 111413951200 heat shield brackets did not fit so cut them off and used exhaust wrap. The brackets to the block were OK just needed to smooth out a couple internal welds so time will tell how good it is
atleast I don't have to worry about precats .An added bonus new manifold is 5kg lighter

gaffer1986

Correct me if I'm wrong but Isn't the heat shield there to reduce corrosion in the engine bay. I thought, less heat, less water vapour and longer crossmember life  :-) :-) :-)

Joesson

The following gives a view on this:
Wikipedia: Exhaust heat management

gaffer1986

That makes sense I suppose, so definitely worth keeping it then but if wrap can destroy a manifold in a couple of years I will probably stick to stripping the pre-cats and use the original heat shield.

mrzwei

Quote from: "gaffer1986"Correct me if I'm wrong but Isn't the heat shield there to reduce corrosion in the engine bay. I thought, less heat, less water vapour and longer crossmember life  :-) :-) :-)

No. The most efficient engines will have the coldest air coming in and the warmest air going out and will be the most fuel efficient so it's all about emissions.
The heat shields are designed to do both.
The exhaust wrap will have a similar effect and you will struggle to find anyone who has had a manifold fail because of wrapping (in my experience, but there's bound to be one   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

AndyM

+1

I'm sure there are examples of manifold failure when wrapped but it's a pretty common practice (in Motorsport too) and the majority seem to have no issues.

Also, wrap looks good which is worth at least 1 extra bhp  s;) ;) s;)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: