Windscreen replacement

Started by StuC, August 1, 2014, 16:12

StuC

I have had my windscreen changed today (after the Peugeot POS from last Friday). I spent quite a long time talking to the fella fitting it. I am happy with the job he has done with the equipment he was provided. However I am not best pleased with the fit of the screen next to the old components. There is a much larger visible gap between the top of the screen and the body. At the bottom of the screen, the wiper cover has a few gapping issues. The fitter noted that he wasn't happy with the fit of the screen and he believes it is a quality issue with the glass, as he assures me he had tried to fettle it a number of times (which I believe). His personal opinion of the manufacturer was that they were below par. So I am going to complain and ask for an OE screen rather than this copy I have. I'll throw up some pics of mine when I get home.

I just wondered how others have gotten on with their replacements.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

wotugonado

Im sure theres a recent post from someone else with regards to this issue.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

StuC

This one?

I actually didn't have any issues with the right type of screen PFL/FL. Just the tolerance geometry of the screen itself.

wotugonado

Theres one where tomaky says his screen has a gap on it and it was filled with sealant. I cant paste the link on my phone.

l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49364&p=569517&hilit=windscreen#p569517 l
Hope thats worked now.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Joesson

The first screen I had replaced was on a Hillman Imp around 1970. The old screen leaked in the bottom right corner.
I won't go into how it broke but it was replaced during a long hot summer. When it finally rained it leaked in the bottom right corner!
The next screen was around 1973 in a Austin Maxi. This was a toughened glass screen and was replaced on a Motorway services. A new laminated screen was fitted, continuing my journey I hadn't got into fifth gear when a stone hit and chipped the new screen!
In my rear view mirror I noticed some smoke coming from the wiring connection to the heated rear window of a new Vauxhall Cavalier. I switched the window heater off. Some seconds later I was shot in the back (that's what it sounded like) when the rear screen broke into thousands of pieces.
Another toughened glass front screen went on my way to an important Client meeting. With around 120 miles to go early morning, in winter time, no mobile phone I knocked the screen out and drove to my office prior to going onto the nearby meeting to be told the Client had postponed. I can confirm that it is very noisy and cold when driving at M way speeds with no front screen. I wear specs and that helped keeping detritus out of my eyes.
I have had repairs on laminated screens, the most recent this year when a repair on a stone chip was attempted on my four seater. This did not work and the screen cracked making a replacement necessary. Listen to what the Autoglass guy says before he"attempts" to repair it!
This meant another two days and £75 excess for a new (copy) screen instead of the £20 excess for a repair.
With all the replacements and repairs I have had the only one I could complain about was the one in 1970 because that leaked afterwards as it did before. But back then that really wasn't so uncommon. The screens were not bonded in but relied on a grooved rubber seal between the bodywork and the screen. Halfords sold tubes of windscreen sealant for that purpose.
So with a new bonded screen the correct profile of the glass is paramount to obtain a stress free seal and provide the required aesthetics.
I guess that your complaint would be with your insurer as the glass supplier/ installer was acting as their agent.
Whosoever is at fault I wish you success with getting a well fitting replacement/ replacement screen.

StuC

Yeah, that worked. Thanks Dan.

I have 2 issues one like Tom's where the OE surround wasn't used and sits in a different place to the old one. Thankfully mine hasn't been plastered in visible sealant.
My second issue is the shape of the glass itself.

StuC

Some interesting experiences there Tony. I bet the Cavalier one was a real shocker!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Joesson

It certainly was Stu. The Vauxhall dealer said that it must have been a stone from another car and said it could not have been a problem with the heated screen. It was an empty road, I saw no other cars but did see the smoke signal.But then we all know new cars have no faults or problems do they!

normanh

Your lucky, had the fitters from a big national chain booked for today to replace the screen on my works car after waiting 9 days only to have it cancelled two hours before the fitting was due today. Next vacant slot I was told was the 20th of bloody August would you believe. Godd knows what would have happened years back with toughened glass screens. My company gave them a roasting as they are prefered fitters for our insurance.

Norman

Joesson

The 1973 replacement I referred to was done at a motorway services while was i n transit. The Maxi was a new car at the time. The mobile screen fitting service had a replacement screen on the van albeit a laminated one to replace the OE toughened screen.
I guess your Company vehicle is a new vehicle so  why no replacement available?Maybe it is because of the laminated screens.
When only toughened screens were available any damage required an immediate replacement. With the laminated screen minor damage can (generally) be repaired. If the chip becomes a crack you can still see through it . So The requirement for immediate replacement is not there .
This, together with the higher value of a laminated screens, even more so with the size of modern screens and complexity of  tints and heating elements I suggest means that stock holdings are very much minimised.
I know that special glass production is not the speediest of processes and so if no screen is available the result is around three weeks delay as you have found.

normanh

Its not the screen thats the issue the company I have to use is just booked, originally it was going to take 30 days - already waited 9 plus another 21 days for next fitting slot. I asked if I could go tp the depot thats about a mile from my home no good depot booked and mobile fitters booked. So much for getting chips repaired before it cracks - total bloody waste of time and space this company. Lucky I dont need an MOT yet as its a fail just moving into the drivers vision area.

Norman

Tags: