Under steer ?

Started by GT4thomas, August 1, 2014, 18:58

james_gt3rs

The MR2's weight distribution definitely isn't 50/50, remember it's almost a rear engined car! It's somewhere between 45/55 and 40/60. And given that it's also light this means that it will understeer if you don't trail brake. Once that clicks though it's got a super front end, and really adjustable!

lamcote

At the risk of starting another argument, a car with more of its weight at the back will naturally tend to oversteer not understeer. Obviously this basic natural balance will be affected by tyre sizes, wheel geometry settings and driver inputs but for any given tyre, more static vehicle weight equals less cornering capability. ie a car with a rearward weight balance will tend towards oversteer and one with a heavier nose will naturally understeer.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

maybeturbo

True, but like a lot of cars it's safer to make it have a tendency to understeer than oversteer and end up side on into a lamppost.

Alex Knight

Quote from: "maybeturbo"True, but like a lot of cars it's safer to make it have a tendency to understeer than oversteer and end up side on into a lamppost.

This may be true for mainstream econo-boxes that most people drive, however sports cars don't tend to have this characteristic engineered into them.

And you can still understeer into a lamppost...

maybeturbo

Oh, come on! It's hardly a dedicated sports car. Like most cars, it's handling is well on the safe side.  it's a usual toyota parts bin special, like most toyotas. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great car, but as always toyota were more concerned with the profit than the product. It's got yaris brakes hasn't it? And wheel bearings? And an avensis engine! Good diff though, they got that bit very right. It's not unusual, toyota have always made cars that way, they are the sneakiness manufacturer by far. I kind of like that about them, and it allows you to make Frankenstein engines and stuff, which is cool.

FGrob

Quote from: "maybeturbo"Oh, come on! It's hardly a dedicated sports car.
Hmmmm - so what do you call a dedicated sports car

Do you own a MR2 yet??? - If so why ??? - if it's not a dedicated sports car.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

MartinC

m http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... sports-car m

I think this definition sums up an MR2 quite well.
Martin

Readers ride :- Martin's 2001 Roadster

maybeturbo

I've owned 4 propper on the road mr2's, had a few sheds too. don't be so sensitive. I'm a big toyota fan. I'm looking for an mr2 now and will buy one and turbo it. I've owned a supra tt uk manual 6spd 440hp, a mk2 turbo, couple of mk1's, and some less inspiring models. I've still got an ae86 corolla, I'm a BIG toyota fan, but let's be honest, the mk3 is pretty compromised in standard form, it's a great start but needed to be lower, sleeker, about 50hp more than it had etc. just the fact that it had an engine with an 'fe' head shows they dropped the ball, do you know what that means? I'm a big fan, but a realist.   s:D :D s:D

Alex Knight

Engine aside, the chassis is fantastic.

If that doesn't make it a proper sports car, I don't know what does.

Wabbitkilla

Beats me why you're here if you have such a low opinion of the car, you always seem to be looking for something to slate it. There are many sportscars with "humble" engines. Many of them made by Lotus, in the past the Coventry Climax was staple for British sportscars and that came from the most humble origins.

The 1zz has great character, and can be improved in straightforward ways. There's not many engines you can strap a turbo onto and add 100bhp without needing to rebuild with uprated parts.

The roadster concept is typically a car that is sporty and easy to live with. The MR2 fulfills that superbly in standard form. You can easily shift its focus to more strongly sportscar by sacrificing on some of the compromises that make it easy to live with. It's personal preference which sacrifices you ate comfortable making. Be assured though it is a sportscar, the whole mid engine rwd setup with decent chassis proves it.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

maybeturbo

Wow! What has got you guys so worked up over what I've said? It's all true! I'm not knocking the car, just having a chat about what it could/should have been. Take the mk1 mr2, 4age engine, suited to the car etc and really built, I think they can handle about 9k standard, and they take boost better than a these motors, and there was an f.i version, 4agze, when toyota could really build engines, I think they can go 300hp plus on a standard block, ceramic, forged pistons standard. Then there's the mk2, yes the 3sge was ok, but the 3sgte was awesome, he'll of a combination. If toyota were doing it propperly like they used to the mk3 would have had the 2zz, and if they were really doing it propperly the 2zz wouldn't be getting switched out for honda equivalents! Hondas a great example, when they built the s2000 they didn't adapt the civics engine, they started from scratch and made a masterpiece with serious race stuff in it and amazingly reliable.
Let the abuse of me commence!!!! Lol.
Sorry if I've offended anyone but it's an open forum and right or wrong these are my opinions and I'll stick with 'em, thanks.

Chassis is fantastic, as is the diff and a great job on the stock suspension, great round bends and on bumps, not an easy task.
Biggest let downs are flimsy trim and lack of power.

tomaky

By any chance is your car a pre fl? The FL does have better trim generally and alot can be put on your pre (if you have a pre).
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

FGrob

Quote from: "tomaky"By any chance is your car a pre fl? The FL does have better trim generally and alot can be put on your pre (if you have a pre).
I think you will find he's only got a manifold - unless he's brought one over the weekend to replace his AE86 or Yaris - I'm not sure which.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Alex Knight

Quote from: "maybeturbo"Chassis is fantastic, as is the diff and a great job on the stock suspension, great round bends and on bumps, not an easy task.
Biggest let downs are flimsy trim and lack of power.

Exactly why I fitted a 2ZZ. Completes the car for me.

tomaky

I think you may be right with the 2zz i think 90% the mr2 1zz na population including myself would atleast like to try a 2zz that being said through the corners sometimes more power might not be so good, when going really pushing it through twisties i often think i dont need anymore power.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

loadswine

You are probably right Tom. I have had various turbos over the years, but on twisty roads that extra power doesn't make a vast difference to progress made. That is all in the chassis and balance. I actually like a fairly standard car and the v6 conversions most, as they allow you to enjoy more of the car more of the time. Turbos are fun too, but often mean quite high speeds to feel their benefit. Of course its a sports car! Moreso than its previous incarnation. Imho.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

If you'll notice, my username is now backwards, used to be 'maybeturbo' but it would seem that my membership level was changed to not allow me to post or read messages etc, please don't tell me that somebody was that pathetic after sharing my opinions?
And 'fgrob' why would I lie about what vehicles I've had or have? Like I've said a few times I'm a big Toyota fan, I've only owned two other cars, both s-body Nissan.  If you want to pop round and check them out feel free mate.
I'm really surprised at how petty some people have been on here.
Back to the topic, yeah, the mk2 did get away from the spirit of the mr2 a bit but the turbo was a beast. The NA was a bit 'meh'
I'm sure the V6 are great and that 3.5 they have in the states is a bit of a monster motor! But I like the idea of keeping fuel economy too with a turbo.

Can an admin please reinstate my original account 'maybeturbo' I would like to access a private message I received.

Anonymous

Seems a bit harsh that the account has been locked. I would have thought you are at least owed an explanation.

Anonymous

Tell me about it. Toys and prams etc........

AndyM

[MOD]maybeturbo, your account hasn't been locked/banned. We're having a bit of technical issue with the user groups at the moment which is causing some access issues for newer users, apologies for the hassle. The admin's are looking into it and will resolve it as soon as they can at which point this duplicate account will be removed and your original account will be fine to use.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

tomaky

All is well afterall  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Anonymous

Ok.  Many thanks.

FGrob

Quote from: "Obrutebyam"And 'fgrob' why would I lie about what vehicles I've had or have? Like I've said a few times I'm a big Toyota fan, I've only owned two other cars, both s-body Nissan.
No one stated you were telling lies just you had not purchased an MR2 yet, which then raises the issue of why make negative comments if you have not owned one yet.

I assume the above means most of your cars owned were Toyota with only two others being Nissan's.???

tomaky

Hence the term "Dont knock until you have tried it"
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Anonymous

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "tomaky"By any chance is your car a pre fl? The FL does have better trim generally and alot can be put on your pre (if you have a pre).
I think you will find he's only got a manifold - unless he's brought one over the weekend to replace his AE86 or Yaris - I'm not sure which.

That's a dig mate, no way round it.

Tags: