0-60 times

Started by Anonymous, July 21, 2003, 15:32

Anonymous

what is the 0-60 time of the '2
i know that toyota quotes 7.9 sec but i've heard reviews syaing that its a bit faster, one quoting the high 6's.

how will ths '2 compair with the civic typr r (as my friend picking one up the same time)

BTW picking mine up this wed, so i'll have my '2 in time 4 JAE   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "duongs"what is the 0-60 time of the '2
i know that toyota quotes 7.9 sec but i've heard reviews syaing that its a bit faster, one quoting the high 6's.

how will ths '2 compair with the civic typr r (as my friend picking one up the same time)

BTW picking mine up this wed, so i'll have my '2 in time 4 JAE   s8) 8) s8)

IF you learn how to launch properly then you'll beat a Type R off the line.  The light weight and mid engine rear wheel drive give you a huge bonus.

But at the end of the day they have more power so will pull away from you later on.

PS - If your friend gives you any trouble tell him to come race me    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Take your mate round the corners...see he wins then...you will kill him.

I had my mates in a golf gti and a honda thing, giving me shite about my "hairdressers car".  until I thrashed them on the country back roads...the golf turned up at our destination 4mins late as he lost us down a lane and took the wrong turn..LOL!

Anonymous

TBH I'd expect a CTR to be quicker to 60 than a '2.  It's power to weight is quite a bit higher and it's quoted 0-60 time is a second quicker that the quoted time for the '2.

Fair enough they have trouble getting the power down, but no more so in a straight line that a '2 would really.  It's the twisty stuff where you'd walk all over him though.

--H--

Anonymous

Yeah, the 0-60 in a '2 will outpace most cars, but will be slightly pipped by any proper performance motors:  http://www.car-videos.com/performance/speed.asp?Speed1=0&Speed2=60 gives 0-60 and if you want 30-70 stats.  You'll find the '2 listed as an MR2 Spyder.

As the guys say though, when it comes to corners you'll leave most things trailing way behind.  The '2 will corner better than a McLaren F1 Supercar (based on slalom and lateral G tests), so most of those hot hatches don't stand a chance.

Anonymous

Phil nice one!!!!!

Wait till I tell my mates that I can out blat an F1.  They wont feel as bad at being wipped by me the other week.

Anonymous

Guys those 0-60 times are useless really unless you want a guide line.  Honda always use there best, Toyota always go with the average (keeps insurance down), Ford make it up as they go along.

I love pissing off the Audi/VW 1.8T guys   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Wait till I tell my mates that I can out blat an F1.  They wont feel as bad at being wipped by me the other week.

lol well thats just on paper, I woudnt want to try it  s:) :) s:)

IF you wanna impress them wait till you both have to stop.  The '2 has better stopping power than the McF1 also.

Anonymous

My best mate shat himself in the 2 at the weekend (DarrenJuggings saw him on a roundabout holding on for dear life).

I then proceeded to slam the breaks hard.  His little face lit up when he knew that although I could floor the car at breakneck speeds, I could stop it in a fraction of the time of a normal car.

I read somewhere that the 2 can do 0-62 and back to 0 again in under 10 seconds...not bad!

Anonymous

ok so cornnering on the '2 is good ]
but i heard ppl say that if u take your foot of the gas while taking corners y'll lose the back end????
is this true and is it as bad as it sounds
as i have never driven a RWD

Anonymous

The '2 is MONSTER in the corners!!!!!

Power-Off Oversteer... this is possible... ive had it in the wet but I was gooning it a bit and a prat pulled out infront of me... got the back end though, was nothing major...

My first RWD car too...

Anonymous

Nah, it ain't that bad. Although I did get a shock the first time I did it on the M25 slip on to the M40 east-bound. It's the LSD tucking the nose in, as well as a little power off oversteer.

However, I've NEVER lost the car, not even in the wet. It's such a great car because it gives you all the warning signs, tells you what it's doing, and it's almost instantly recoverable. You have to be a bit of a muppet to spin it into the barriers   s:) :) s:)  

It's a bit more scary in the rain, when it's a little less predicatable, but then it's a sports car, it deserves respect. It's by no means as dangerous as a MK1 Elise or Tamora!

Anonymous

I've lost the backend three times.  Twice when backing off the gas.  Both of those times I was hammering it round a rounabout as fast as I dared (which was pretty damn fast), and just lifted off the gas.  The braking force of the engine popped the backend out.  It wasn't much and I caught it easily (opposite lock and a bit more gas).

The other times was just when going round a corner a bit too quickly, a bit of opposite lock, a bit more gas and I fishtailed away.

It's my first RWD car too, and every time I've lost the back it's scared the crap out of me, but then I've really really been pushing the car to the limits, so it's what you'd expect.

As Kris will tell you, take it easy in the wet, don't do anything suddenly and be aware that if you're on the limit, you might well pass it.

Jap GT300

I will bring my '03 Gtech to JAE so we can have a little car park test!  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Two things.....

WoodenDummy, WHERE did you get those stats about the F1 and the '2 from? I would love to see a full run down of the stuff you have been talking about. Can you let me know?

Secondly, the rear wheel drive thing. This is now my 4th rear wheel drive car and presonally, I think it is how you actually drive the car as much as the characteristics of the car itself. My old Mk1's used to behave in a very similar way to the Mk3 when it comes to fast cornering, lift off oversteer, power oversteer etc. Both are very controllable, but the Mk1 being a heavier car used to break away that little bit quicker without the warning the Mk3 gives you. That much is true. But I found that both the Mk1 and the Mk's characteristics were very much down to the fact that engine is in the middle. Not that it was so much rear wheel drive. The pendulum effect is very much exaggerated in a '2, so if you lift off in a high speed corner, the back end will automatically want to come round, regardless of the amount of power you put down. Hence the 360 spin in my Mk1, in the rain at 25mph that wrote the car off!!! Nothing to do with me hooning it, nothing to do with me flooring the trottle in repsonse to the step out. Just the pendulum effect of the weight at the back deciding it want to come and meet me.

Just be careful. Mid engine cars are a different beast to "normal" front engine, rear drive cars. The pedulum effect is MUCH less pronounced in a normal layout and therefor, some people would say is the proper set up for a car cos the car is much more contollable on the thottle. Yeah, with enough power down, you can bring the back end out with both set ups, just remember where the majority fo the weight it......

Steady throttle progression throught the corner is the answer.........Set up the car properly first, balance the car and then accelerate out. Done correctly, it is a LOT more satisfying than actually stepping the rear out, although, I will admit that this if fun also!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

In the wet, the argument is VERY different..........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"WoodenDummy, WHERE did you get those stats about the F1 and the '2 from?

I get mine from http://www.car-videos.com/performance/ which gives 0-x times,

OR http://www.fast-autos.net/makes.html which carrys stats on lateral G's, braking, slalom as well as acceleration.

Both sites have both the McLaren and the MR2, so can be compared.

Anonymous

Cor, nice one! Cheers Phil!!!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

i still dont think mine is that quick

maybe it just feels slow???

mph

Quote from: "phil4"http://www.fast-autos.net/makes.html which carrys stats on lateral G's, braking, slalom as well as acceleration.
Dunno what daft thing they were doing on the skidpan, but a Roadster can pull 1g (lateral) round a corner.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

This is my first RWD car and I was a little suprised yesterday.  I've only had it this car for a few weeks so I'm respecting the RWD and trying to eek a little more out of the car at every opportunity.  

In the dry I've had the back misbehaving by lifting off the gas mid-corner and applying a little opposite lock to correct the oversteer

Yesterday I was out in the rain approaching a smallish roundabout, I dropped into 2nd gear, floored it round the roundabout and the front wheels lost grip and the car slid in a straight line.   Only when I lifted off could I retain control.  Immediately after I approched another identical roundabout and the same happened.  I'm no expert but Sureley on a RWD car the back is supposed to go first? especially in the wet.

I've just driven round the same roundabout today (in the dry) and did the same, as I lifted off the gas all the wheels seemed to slide a little, the back nor front outsliding the other.

Is this a case of crappy tyres and wrong tyre pressure? As I got the car from the dealer they stuck Bridgestone Potenza's on the rear and unbranded crap on the front.  

Like I said, I'm no expert or driven any other RWD cars but should I expect the front to slide in the wet? Is there are way I can go round the same roundabout when it's raining next time and encourage the back to slide before the front does?

Mike.

Anonymous

Yorkie, I am guessing that the "unbranded" tyres at the front might have a big say in this. Probably nowhere NEAR as good as the Bridgies, so might be worth looking into that and then trying your experiment again! If the fronts are not as sticky as the rears (which I doubt they are) then the front WILL go straight ahead. At least it is something to go on......  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I think you are supposed to get a bit of understeer just to say "oi, watch it mate" and then the back end will come out... thats what ive heard before anyway.

Anonymous

The MR2 is about as balanced as a sports car can get, if you don't have decent tires up front your going to get some understeer.

The '2 tends to understeer anyway because of the light front end, you do have the spare in right?  That can really add to the understeer if its not.

Tem

Quote from: "mph"Dunno what daft thing they were doing on the skidpan, but a Roadster can pull 1g (lateral) round a corner.

That depends a LOT from the tyres and surface. Even if they had the stock tyres, a wrong pressure can make them useless. And even if all the tests are done on a same spot, the temps can make a huge difference.

Anyway, to be honest, the lateral g and brake tests are more of a test of the stock tyres than the car itself. If you swap the tyres from Yaris and MR2, Yaris will brake a lot better...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I guess the thing to remember is that if you go into a sharp corner too fast, you'll always get big oversteer until the weight transfer takes effect. I find a faster way round corners is to brake hard going in, and then get on the power fast coming out. Early power round a corner is a great way to get progressive power on oversteer. Lift oversteer is best avoided in my (limited) experience  :-) :-) :-)

And it sounds like they stiffed you on the fronts mate! Sorry. Tires make a big difference to the balance of the '2. Give time, and you' learn to love it.

Tags: