MOT Fail

Started by aldy13, August 21, 2014, 18:59

aldy13

Hi
One of things my car failed the MOT on was osr brake binding and osr parking brake recording little or no effort. I have had the wheel off and the arm that operates the handrake on the caliper was stuck forward so after a liberal dose of WD40 the lever is now moving freely, the actual caliper is sliding freely on the pins and the cable looks like it moving ok. When the handbrake is on you can just about with a lot of effort move the osr wheel but the nsr wheel is solid, I have read the how to adjust your handbrake thread on this forum which is done at the handbrake end so surely this adjust both sides equally? Any ides on what I may have done wrong?

Cheers
Andy

Jiff Lemon

I'd strip both sides. Handbrake cables off, wind the calipers back in a start from zero.

There's a good guide here

Admins: if we're not allowed to cross reference forums, let me know and i'll do a copy&paste with the original authors permission.

nads1978

Quote from: "Jiff Lemon"wind the calipers back in a start from zero.
This fixed mine, it's a real pain in the Rs

bluesmoke

I've been doing my handbrake. I bled all the brakes, left the cables off and then once done attached the handbrake cables, took up the slack with the lever etc.

Seems to work but the car will move if I give it some throttle. I've had cars in the past that are really hard to do that. Is it normal for the roadster to be able to move it, albeit with quite a bit of difficulty?

aldy13

Handbrake all sorted and readjusted, Mot now passed after removing broken spring and fitting new Eibach Pro Kit -30mm springs all round. Wheels off today for a refurb in Metallic Gunmetal Grey and new Toyo Proxes T1-R tyres to go on when I get back from holiday

Old broken spring

New Eibach spring

Tags: