White smoke & oil

Started by Fediuld, August 30, 2014, 23:12

Fediuld

Hi,

Bit more than two years ago I bought my 2 from Matt. Precats were removed and the engine is rebuild.

No issue what so ever with the engine for over 40K miles now. But, I was away most of the summer and my gf was using the car.

Came back last Wednesday, and decided to check it today after a good wash... The oil was on the low end 1/6 of the dipstick. Had it's full service 4 months ago.
Took all the 5lt 5W30 Semi (emergency from Halfords, usually I put Super-FE) and decided to take for a spin to Cleethorpes.

As I was overtaking someone on A15, changing gear up, a white smoke came from the back. Changed to 5th gear more white smoke. (the car was properly warm).
No engine light errors, nothing. So drove all way to Grimsby. On the A180 every time started on the roundabouts & lights white smoke came from the bank, during the gear change and acceleration (not more than 2500 rpm)

Came back tonight, while dreading that it will leave me on the motorway, nothing. As had it parked outside the house I could hear a tap tap tap tap rattle but the OBDII reader shows no issues. Then the radiator fan raise speed for a small amount of time, and heard a bubbling noise like something was boiling. Turned everything off. Checked again everything with Torque, no issue, nor temperature issues either. Is pitch black outside, so I will check the oil and coolant tomorrow.

Any thoughts, or should I be looking for a new car? (yes I put the oil cap back again, and tighten it).

mrzwei

Classic head gasket failure symptoms. Check the coolant level. Could also be a failed water pump but you probably wouldn't get the smoke but it may have caused the problem.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Fediuld

Hi,

I had a check around. The coolant level below the low mark  s:( :( s:(  

Checked oil cap, no "goo" there, and the oil level seems ok.

I do not have coolant to fill put some to drive the car to the garage. Do I call Greenflag? Do I put water and ask them to flush the system?

AndyM

How far below 'low'? Can you still see coolant in the reservoir?

A common quirk with these cars is that the coolant level fluctuates wildly (mine fro example goes right down past low sometimes and then over the max line on others). I'm not saying it means there isn't so,etching amiss there, just something to bear in mind.

I'm trying to think back and I'm sure Flipside on here had a similar sounding problem to you earlier in the year. Maybe have a search back and see if you can find the discussion?
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Fediuld

I will try to see if I can find the discussion, thank you  s:) :) s:)

Is well below low the level. Just above the level of where the pipe is that goes into the engine.
And the engine is off more than 12h now.

Wabbitkilla

Hang on, you still had oil in the engine and then put 5l in?

Oil capacity for the 1zz is only 3.9l (Toyota updated recommendation), sounds like you've blown a seal somewhere due to having too much oil in there.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Fediuld

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Hang on, you still had oil in the engine and then put 5l in?

Oil capacity for the 1zz is only 3.9l (Toyota updated recommendation), sounds like you've blown a seal somewhere due to having too much oil in there.

Lets hope that is the issue, but does it explain the coolant almost drained?

Wabbitkilla

If the coolant drained this it's possibly head gasket, but also possible radiator leak.
Then again if you run the engine without coolant it's likely you will do other damage by overheating and then lose oil.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Fediuld

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"If the coolant drained this it's possibly head gasket, but also possible radiator leak.
Then again if you run the engine without coolant it's likely you will do other damage by overheating and then lose oil.

Cheers.

And all these without any warnings or any errors registered!!!!

I wonder, do I put some water in it to mix with existing coolant, and drive it to the garage? Is only 5 miles down the road but.... yeah "Only".....   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Wabbitkilla

The code system doesn't cover every eventuality, there is no coolant level monitor or oil level monitor so it has nothing to report.
Monitoring both is the owners lookout, the electronics will tell you if you lose oil pressure (too late), misfires and sensor failures.

Fediuld

Yeah  s:) :) s:)

According to the garage, they do not see any obvious problems with the car other than more oil than should be. Is going to be flushed, replaced with new oil filter and then give it a proper run.

Lets hope for the best  s:) :) s:)

andyroo104

Hope you have not caused any damage as too much oil can be as bad as no oil.  s:-( :-( s:-(
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Fediuld

Quote from: "andyroo104"Hope you have not caused any damage as too much oil can be as bad as no oil.  s:-( :-( s:-(

Yeah.

According to the garage, the only issue was the oil that might have caused all the panic. Drained it. Changed oil filter put the correct amount on, and they run it for some time without issues.
No issue with water pump of head gasket according to them.

Of course couldn't get an explanation why the coolant was below the Low mark.

I will collect her tomorrow.

Thanks everyone your your assistance  s:D :D s:D

Tags: