£30 for a switch???

Started by dreambackup, September 19, 2004, 19:07

dreambackup

to your knowledge, is my dealer right when he answers "45€ plus tax" to my question "what's the price for the fog light switch on the dashboard?"...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

do you have any clue?

I wanted to use this one for the antenna mod but at that price... hum...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

aaronjb

[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

my aerial automatically goes down if i turn the cd player on. i found that the only thing that keeps the aerial up while listening to CD's is if i have TA (traffic announcement) turned on

Darth Paul

Just re-read the old thread. Now I'm a complete electrical muppet, so I was wondering if someone could post step by step instructions on how to do the aerial switch thing.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Mine seems to be up all the time (oooer missus!) I assumed it was broadcasting my CD listening habits to Toyota HQ for analysis. Am I doing somthing wrong? It would be nice to have the aerial down whilst listening to a CD. (2004 MR2 with stock head unit install.)

Anonymous

Paul,

On my Pioneer loom that comes with the stereo there is a blue and white wire that has bullet connectors on. For the aerial to work at all, these needed to be connected to complete the wiring circuit for the aerial. All I did with my switch was connect it to each part of the blue and white wire so that the circuit was broken/connected at the flick of a switch  s;) ;) s;)

If you a) have a third party stereo and b) have the installation manual, it should mention the aerial control wire, which is normally blue and white. You basically need to get the switch into that circuit somehow. I was fortunate in that the Pioneer loom already had the bullet connectors so that I could easily break that circuit.

Does that make sense?

Dave, I'm not sure if the stock Toyota loom matches the standard ISO colours, so it may be different for you. The good thing in my case was that I didn't need to touch the standard loom at all as the wire connects into the Pioneer loom.

Tom, I assume yours is the stock Sony headunit? I believe there was a way that you could get the effect you are seeing with your unit, but for the facelift and some aftermarket units, the aerial remains up at all times as soon as you put the stereo on. I believe that some Sony units could control the aerial but not all. I think the '03 and on facelifted units leave it up all the time. As I barely listen to the radio, mine is almost permanently down.

Darth Paul

Ahh. cheers. I've got the stock Sony so I'll have to do a recce.

GSB

Use the passenger window disable switch. No-one uses them, so it may well have a slightly better use.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Darth Paul

Quote from: "GSB"Use the passenger window disable switch. No-one uses them, so it may well have a slightly better use.

Ahh, good idea! Now if you could just explain EXACTLY   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  how to do this...

GSB

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "GSB"Use the passenger window disable switch. No-one uses them, so it may well have a slightly better use.

Ahh, good idea! Now if you could just explain EXACTLY   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  how to do this...

Subtle Paul, subtle...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'll have a look later, it should be a case disconecting the switch, shorting a few wires to ensure that the windows still work, and then diverting the Antenna wire from the headunit through the switch and back into the loom behind the radio. Fairly simple stuff.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

dreambackup

you're so right it hurts  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

GSB

Anonymous

Paul, if you have the stock head unit from the pre face lift you should be able to lower the aerial at any time (CD mode) by pressing the AF/TP  button until you switch AF & TP to the off position. Works in mine, but not so sure about yours as you have swopped it to the newer 2. Give it a try.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"

Paul, if you have the stock head unit from the pre face lift you should be able to lower the aerial at any time (CD mode) by pressing the AF/TP  button until you switch AF & TP to the off position. Works in mine, but not so sure about yours as you have swopped it to the newer 2. Give it a try.

Yep, I know about that one. It's when I'm using the iPod/iTrip, the damn aerial is up coz the iTrip broadcasts to an FM frequency.

Tags: