Brake discs

Started by winger, October 10, 2014, 11:03

winger

Hi All,
Just took my wheels off for refurb and noticed that the stud holes in the disc are larger than the studs giving a certain amount of movement of the studs before coming into contact with the disc when moved in either direction.Is this normal or maybe after market discs have been fitted with less than OEM tolerances?
Whilst on the subject of wheels does anyone know the MCGARD  serial number for a 2002 set of locking wheel nuts,I have searched a lot of sites and cannot get a definitive answer.Any help appreciated.
Regards   Neil

Wabbitkilla

Your disks are normal ... no worries.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

phaeton

That is quite normal, although there 'should' be a couple of cross-head screws holding the disc in place which normally round-off & thrown away. When it is all clamped up there is nowhere for the disc to go.

Alan...

Joesson

Are the wheels Toyota OE with 4 x 100 hole centres?
I don' t remember if there is a ( oversize ) counter bore / recess in the disc before the threaded section.
That is all I can suggest is what you are seeing.
The part number on my 2002 locking wheel nut box is: 00?90-03019-B
The ? Is a crease in the sticky label and is a unreadable but it most likely is either a - or any number 0 to 9.
So that narrows the whole number down to just 11 possibles.
Hope that helps.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "phaeton"That is quite normal, although there 'should' be a couple of cross-head screws holding the disc in place which normally round-off & thrown away. When it is all clamped up there is nowhere for the disc to go.

Alan...

Wrong, there are no location crossheads on the MR2 ... the disks are heal in place by the wheels tightened down on top of them.
The crosshead holes are a get out of jail free when removing disks.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

phaeton

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"
Quote from: "phaeton"That is quite normal, although there 'should' be a couple of cross-head screws holding the disc in place which normally round-off & thrown away. When it is all clamped up there is nowhere for the disc to go.

Alan...

Wrong, there are no location crossheads on the MR2 ... the disks are heal in place by the wheels tightened down on top of them.
The crosshead holes are a get out of jail free when removing disks.

I'll go sit in the corner with my pointy hat with a big D on it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Alan...

winger

Thanks for the replies everyone,good to know that the discs are ok and now I have a reference point for the locking wheel nuts.I need to get them sharpish as I have ditched the 4 different tyres it came with and got a new set of Toyos.
Phaeton,I assume from your location that you were on .org also,possibly where the reference to the disc screws came from.
Regards   Neil

Tags: