1ZZ from Celica to MR2?

Started by Matasb, October 14, 2014, 14:00

Matasb

Hello fellows MR2 enthusiasts.
This is my very first post here. Recently I sold my AE86 project but I don't want to leave the world of Toyota  s:) :) s:)
I googled a lot about MR2 Roadsters (Spyders). Came up with an idea that is quite a good car. Tested one and totally loved it. But here in Lithuania we don't have a proper choice. There are only few models for sale. Some of them are abused, some - ridiculously expensive and its really difficult to find a decent example.
There is one car that bothers me but the seller said "there was something wrong with 4th cylinder - maybe a spark plug..." Yeah, right. Then change it, I said. But he won't do it. And it's probably more than a spark plug - not an easy fix at all.
I was looking for the information about 1ZZ engines compatibility. Found couple of posts and I did read it carefully. But I didn't quite get the real answer I was looking for. Can I just take 1ZZ engine from seventh generation Celica, take all the bits off, put all the bits from MR2 1ZZ on it and put it into MR2 body? Is it a direct bolt-on swap, o some fiddling with wiring loom (or anything else) has to be done?
I am not really interested in 2ZZ at this particular time. Now I need MR2 running in its standard form.
Cheers.

Ardent

First things first. Hello and welcome.
Second. Make yourself a drink, pull up a chair and read the very good stickies. The answers will be in there.
Or use the search.
more informed members will no doubt have the answer and will be along shortly.

cabbydave

Same engine though wiring loom is different and so is the inlet manifold and fuel rail oh and dipsick tube

Matasb

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Then I have one more question to ask. Is MR-S engine a bolt-on swap to MR-2 Roadster? I've searched the forums and found this:
"The ECU is one and gearboxes on the MR-S came in 5 speed with the LSD as an optional extra, the MR-S doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor.
Indicator and wiper stalks are on the wrong sides of the wheel on the MR-S
" Link to the thread.
I only need the engine. So this means, I can take MR-S engine, remove all the ancillaries off, put MR-2 Roadster ancillaries on and put the whole thing right in the chassis, is that correct?
I am sorry for the confusion, but I have trouble with understanding the "ECU is one...". It means one (and the same) for both engines? Again, excuses for imperfect English  s:) :) s:)

cabbydave

Yes a MR-S will go straight in as well

Tags: