SuperArt

Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Joesson

SuperArt said: " I don't have a lot of tools, but I like to buy the right tools for each job I tackle and build up my tool-set that way."
That is one way of acquiring a suitable set of tools to meet your needs, however I suggest that this is not the most economic or practical solution.
If you check prices of individual open ended, ring and socket spanners and compare them with the price of set  you will see that the set is usually a much better buy.
If you buy spanners as you need them you will end up with  miss matched sets.
Sockets in particular, if you buy these on a needs must basis you will also find you have no means of storing them.
If you were to buy a socket set, I suggest a 3/8inch drive, as a starter with six sided sockets (not multipoint as they will round off the rusty nuts you will find on your 2)
and a set of double ended spanners, one open end one ring you will find that most situations will be catered for. Those you find along the way you buy a suitable tool for.
If you select mid price range tools you will generally find these will last you a life time of general maintenance and tinkering.  
Brands such as Snapon are very nice tools and will likely last a lifetime of professional everyday use but they are costly for the infrequent usage for your 2.
I hope this helps.

Joesson

PS.
Currently on eBay are 94 piece 1/4 and 1/2 inch drive socket sets for under £30. Don't know about quality but they claim a 5 year guarantee.

Anonymous

I've been using halfords professional tools at home for a few years now and it must be said that when on half price offers (quite often) they are hard to beat for value.

Jiff Lemon

Piston wind back tool would be a good thing!

Tags: