Roof lowering

Started by winger, November 20, 2014, 13:39

winger

Hi all,
Quite new to MR2 ownership and looking for any tips/tricks for lowering the soft top.I have two MGs that have soft tops but they have a different material and am well versed with their quirks.When I lowered it yesterday the material seemed quite tight to fold and took quite a bit of tugging and tucking to get it to sit anywhere like it should but it still was sitting high at the back.
I have lightly oiled the roof frame pivot points and I realise it was a little cold yesterday and I think it had a hard top on for most of its previous life.Don't particularly want to sit outside with the heater on to make the material supple before lowering.Is this a common problem with this roof material or am I missing something?
Regards  Neil

Alex Knight

Anonymous

Before I removed it, the roof on our Mr2 was really easy to put down; just uncatch it, and from the drivers seat just flick it back, latched it's self in and you were off!

Topdownman

For a tip I would say make sure you dont try to put it straight down, put it down a bit and then back up a time or two so the glass can drop and the strap across the top can start to move more freely. I find this helps mine go down but like lots of others, it gets stiffer in the cold.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

cyclehead

More tips:  Lowering the roof doesn't work well above 30mph, the wind pushes the glass out and won't let it come forward into the tray.   Raising the roof though works fine up to 70mph.   s:) :) s:)
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

winger

When I first got the car I had to clear the roof drains and found a ladies collapsible umbrella trapped above the passenger side drain.I was wondering if that had maybe strained something

Davred

Definitely need to warm the vinyl roof up in cooler weather.
Or get a mohair roof, but still have to stand outside and push top of glass down to get it to fold.
W. Red. Black leather. Facelift wheels.Toyo T1R. Pre-cats removed. Matts TTE style chassis brace. 2003 facelift front brace, FK lowering springs, Dev keyhole covers, tte rear grille. Tanabe G-Power Medalion exhaust, JSpec nose badge, mongo's, front strut brace. Matt perf engine rebuild May 2014.

Tags: