My car has died - (my first post)

Started by so.simple, September 27, 2004, 13:38

Anonymous

!

I reckon he swapped you pre-cats with some new ones whilst you wern't looking.

so.simple

Quote from: "odub"!

That would be a good thing! Right? But I dont't think they would need to go that way after accepting to pay for all or some of the costs.

My opinion is: Toyota is certainly aware that something is wrong with some of the 1ZZFE engines (incorrect bore dimensions, dubious quality pre-cats, anything) and that explains why they accept to swap so many engines with little or no hassle at all.

Imagine you run a company with a great reputation, and suddenly become aware that a percentage of units of one of your products is defective.. What do you do? Do you go public saying "Hey, we messed up!" Or do you shut up about it and simply accept replacing all of those that have the defect without taking an official position about the issue?

But this is just a theory. Bottom line is: my "Precious" is coming home!
Carlos

heathstimpson

Really good news mate  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "so.simple"
Quote from: "odub"!

That would be a good thing! Right? But I dont't think they would need to go that way after accepting to pay for all or some of the costs.

My opinion is: Toyota is certainly aware that something is wrong with some of the 1ZZFE engines (incorrect bore dimensions, dubious quality pre-cats, anything) and that explains why they accept to swap so many engines with little or no hassle at all.

Imagine you run a company with a great reputation, and suddenly become aware that a percentage of units of one of your products is defective.. What do you do? Do you go public saying "Hey, we messed up!" Or do you shut up about it and simply accept replacing all of those that have the defect without taking an official position about the issue?

But this is just a theory. Bottom line is: my "Precious" is coming home!

it all depends on your Toyota importer and how willing they are to talk with you. If the issue is something that you have not affected, Toyota is usually willing to fix it up, partially at least... We had one LC100 at 30,000km after the warranty and car never got properly serviced yet Toyota agreed to cover 50% of the cost. I know that around here (eastern europe) Toyota has by far the best warranty coverage and are by far the easiest to deal for warranties...

so.simple

s:D :D s:D  I have my car back!  s:) :) s:)

Went to pick it up this tuesday night, and it looked ok!  s:D :D s:D  But had to get back to the dealer yesterday's morning to present a few minor complaints and ask them why was the diaper filled with engine oil!!!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  They immediatly verified that an "oil retentor" wasn't correctly tightned   s:?: :?: s:?:   and corrected it, cleaned the diaper (very baby like  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   ) and refilled with oil. Just have to get back there after completing 1000Km to have the engine inspected and to have some scratches in the engine bay repaired.

I'm happy with the results. The car seems more powerfull now and the exhaust note has much more grunt.   s:o :o s:o   (Sorry for the bad english). Also don't forget that I did not pay a single cent.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Carlos

Anonymous

well done Toyota, i hope they're as kind and generous when/if my goes...  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Glad to hear that you have her back safe and sound; enjoy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

so.simple

Thanks to all of you for investing loads of your precious time sharing information with others. If it wasn't for this group and all of its most valuable articles, I would have never had enough arguments to get my car repaired at no cost.

Since my tecnhical expertise is so low   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , I guess the only way I can pay you back is by inviting you to send me a PM whenever you may come to Portugal   s8) 8) s8)  . Pints of beer and barbecue will be provided!   s:D :D s:D
Carlos

darrenjuggins

Hi Mate,

Just read your Thread - Great news on the "New" engine and not having to pay.

Mines in with Oil Loss problems at the moment... the engine is on a bench in bits at the moment.

Think Toyota UK and extended warranty are gonna argue who's paying, all I know is that I'll just about have a new engine in a week.

(Plus Pre-cats done, last month!)

Cheers

Darren

Keep up informed how you are getting on with your now new born toyota, nappy and all   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Darren A. Juggins

so.simple

Funny how they keep saying they never heard about this problem!   s:? :? s:?  Hope yours gets solved with as little hassle as mine!   s:) :) s:)  

Tomorrow, I'll try to do the exact same trip I was doing when the engine blew   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  . It's the perfect road to bring out engine problems, I suppose: 300 Km of curvy highway   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   with an ever increasing altitude when travelling up north. Portugal would resemble a wedge if we could view it from the side   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'll tell you how it went afterwards
Carlos

so.simple

My comments:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

My face still hurts because of the stupid smile  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   that I always have when the MR2 meets curvy roads.
Carlos

Tags: