20k service?

Started by Anonymous, September 28, 2004, 13:29

Anonymous

hi what are the recommened service intervals for mr2, mines comin up to 20k now do i need to get one done?
and i got this paranoid feeling now about pre-cats after reading all the reports on here, would they check my pre-cats as an extra in the service if i asked them to? and if they check them in the service and a month later they muck up do i get any sort of warranty from the fact they should've checked them in the service?
thanks for ur help

Anonymous

It should all be detailed in the service book.  It needs a service every 10K miles, or every year (whichever comes soonest).  In theory every other service should be a minor oil & filter change.

Re: pre-cats, you can ask.  If they don't document the state of them in the service then you've no comeback later on (because you can't prove anything), and besides, if they say the pre-cats are fine and they then explode a month later, who's to say they weren't fine when they looked at them?

markiii

true but if they document that are screwed, then they fix,

if they document and tehn refuse to fix, you have comeback,

or they document that they are fine, and they break next month you have grounds to prove you are knowledeable enough to keep cjhecking your engine and it's harder to prove it's your fault for negligence.

either way I'd make them do it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

MY LOGIC WAS THAT IF I GET THEM TO CHECK THEM I CAN THEN ARGUE THAT THAT IF IM TOLD THERE FINE AT THE TIME OF SERVICE THEY CANT POSSIBLE HAVE GONE WRONG ALL OF A SUDDEN IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME, AND THEN ARGUE THEY WAS NEVER CHECKED PROPERLY IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUT I'D GET IT IN WRITING OFF THEM WATEVER THEY CONCLUDE FROM CHECKING THEM

SteveJ

Given that Toyota do not currently acknowledge a connection between the pre-cat failures and the simultaneous engine failures there is absolutely no point in getting them to check and/or document the condition.

The only benefit is for your own peace of mind that the engine isn't on it's way down the slippery slope to failure - I checked the left hand pre-cat on my car as that is usually the first one to show problems, and it is already looking very second hand (35k miles, less than 10 months old) but there is no point raising it with the dealer until the oil consumption starts.

Anonymous

Please excuss my ignorance, but what are pre-cats and why all the concern and discussion?  s:? :? s:?

Tags: