greasing battery terminals

Started by wotugonado, December 14, 2014, 17:15

wotugonado

Does anybody know if its true that to help stop the battery discharging in cold weather you can put vaseline or copper grease on the terminals ?
As mines not a daily drive any pointers would be gratefully recieved.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Peter Wright

Quote from: "wotugonado"Does anybody know if its true that to help stop the battery discharging in cold weather you can put vaseline or copper grease on the terminals ?
Vaseline is basically petroleum jelly I wouldn't put it anywhere near electricals
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

Markb

I use a FINE coating of vaseline but to stop corrosion build up not discharging,never had a problem using it.

Good description here....

The problem with leaving the terminals of the batteries and other items in the engine bay bare is a little annoying thing called ELECTROLYSIS. Moisture in the air causes a catalytic reaction between the dissimilar metals (which have different electrical properties) and this can have a serious impact on the life of the battery and not do the terminals a lot of good.

Most people have seen this as the white build up on the terminals, this is actually lead, Nickel and copper salts being produced by the reaction with the Hydrogen and Oxygen making up water.

Using Copper grease is ill-advised as it conducts electricity and be highly unlikely to prevent the reactions. The best course of action is to ensure all the connections are as tight as is practical, then put a thin film of Petroleum Jelly or similar water proof material over the terminal to prevent moisture and the terminals from undergoing the said reactions......

wotugonado

Differing opinions there, but thanks for the comments. So it may not be an old wives tale after all.
Especially good bit of info there Mark, and you say you've never had a problem ?

Markb

As I said i just put a light coating on,have done with all my cars for the past 25+ years ,never had an issue,whether its needed these days with more modern batteries is another thing but certainly hasn't caused any problems.......never had this happen anyway  s:D :D s:D  

m http://www.luvyourdrive.com/wp-content/ ... before.jpg m

locobuilder brian

Vaseline on battery terminals. Its what industry uses.

ChrisGB

Yep, another vote for Vaseline on the battery terminals. I have never had corrosion issues with terminals treated with a light coating.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

wotugonado

Great ill give it a go. Thanks.

StuC

Quote from: "wotugonado"Great ill give it a go. Thanks.
Go get your lube Dan!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"Go get your lube Dan!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
did you ever send it back after your big night out with your grinder app?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

nimrod

Only apply Vaseline when battery terminals have been secured.

cyclehead

I've read that corrosion on the terminals is mostly due to sulfuric acid leaking out of the battery casing around the terminal posts.  Those add-on felt washers help keep the fumes from reaching your terminals, as will a thin coat of grease.   An AGM battery won't have any of those problems.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

Mike G

A lot of manufacturers use the that white lithium based grease...... but like others I've used vaseline for years until I discovered KY , much more comfortable
2004 Facelift in Crystal Silver (sub 30k)  with genuine bodykit,Precats out,Red Leather,Remus Dual Exhaust,Carbon Thresholds,vvti Badging on wings,TTE chrome fuel flap surround,Bridgestone Potenza REO40's ,Aerial override mode,RED Mohair roof, Bonnet and engine cover gas struts and a few other small internal tweaks :-)
And now... Mikes (my own) anti dash creak mod !

Markb

Quote from: "Mike G"A lot of manufacturers use the that white lithium based grease...... but like others I've used vaseline for years until I discovered KY , much more comfortable

Are we still talking batteries here   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

no1trancefan

i cleaned my terminals up with a dremel and wire brush attachment and still look the same 7 months later didnt put grease or anything on them

2 of the left

Quote from: "Markb"
Quote from: "Mike G"A lot of manufacturers use the that white lithium based grease...... but like others I've used vaseline for years until I discovered KY , much more comfortable

Are we still talking batteries here   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ooooooh Matron""""
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Jay67

Used Vaseline on battery terminals for years, last time I replaced the battery Stu let me have some from his weekend supply!

Cheers Stu!   s:D :D s:D  
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

wotugonado

Oh my !!!!! He seems to have worked his way through that bucket of vaseline, im not sure how.
But by the way he was walking i presumed he'd just been horse riding or something   s:P :P s:P

StuC

LMAO thanks guys.

FYI, I have a equal size container of talcum powder for that Dan.

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"LMSAO. Thanks guys (for the great weekend)
Everything has just become clear  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

*s=sore

Joesson

There is a Corvette that runs on Vaseline!

StuC

For reference that's what your mum said Dan.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

wotugonado

Quote from: "StuC"For reference that's what your mum said Dan.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Dad Is that you ?

colin123bell

Quote from: "wotugonado"Does anybody know if its true that to help stop the battery discharging in cold weather you can put vaseline or copper grease on the terminals ?
I use high temp grease on mine as it soaks in and stays in.it soaks into the metal copper crystals of metals inc copper so stops the cables drying out which changes resistance so keeps car healthy.and stops corroded end flare up fires,as lugs burn up at the ends.if too dry,..

Tags: