Sadlebags 2zzge conversion, small track write up page 4

Started by Sadlebag, January 5, 2015, 20:38

Sadlebag

Hi guys and girls

Well picked up my facelift MR2 on Sunday and got her home safe and sound ready to start the restoration. She is in a bit of a sorry state, engine isnt particularly healthy, fair bit of oil everywhere from something, not sure what yet, doesn't seem to be losing any though. The previous owner said he drive with no oil cap but I didn't believe everything he said. The key is in two bits still somehow starts the car though providing the fob bit is near the console, still have the master key though just in case (new fob and blank on its way). Two small holes in the roof but very very tiny holes. Cracked fog light lense, murky headlights, shoddy wheels and moisture inside the rear lights but at £1200 for an 03 with 78k on the clock it was worth going for.

So to start with then my plans.

1. Well i have a celica sat on my drive with a 2zzge rebuilt by se7en motorsport with stage 2 cams ready to swap out.
2. Change the wheels at some point, don't really want to go bigger than 16''
3. Fit some willwood 4pots calipers but keep standard discs, I know the standard brakes hold up pretty well but these calipers need replacing so figure may as well upgrade.
4. fit coilovers and fit adjustable rear camber arms.

Before the new engine goes in I will be fitting a morroso sump and possibly a lighten flywheel but i know the standard ones are pretty light as they are!
Thats about it for now, there will be more in the future but one step at a time. As i start researching more and more about what these chassis can do im sure my bank balance will get smaller!!!

Anonymous

Nice one, I'll be following closely  s:) :) s:)

Sadlebag

Looking forward to fitting these, just need some sprigot rings first!! Bargain at £135.

cabbydave

There is a guy in the UK that does the bridge mount for the 2zz conversion any questions just ask. I've done around 6 conversions and there are a few on here that have done their own conversions as well.

Sadlebag

Sorry bridge mounts? I'm not familiar?

cabbydave

Engine mounting bracket on the os of the engine you have to change.

cabbydave

Sadlebag

Ah got ya, Patrick has said to me that he has all the parts needed sat on his shelf in his work shop, he does a fair few of these conversions I believe. When my car goes to him in March, i'll get him to send a few pics of his work so i can show you perhaps get him to sign up here as well as IMOC (I found IMOC pretty useless for the mk3) I also know he does the v6 conversions to.

cabbydave

Patrick is a good guy. Theres a few others on here that will sing his praises as well. Its worth going down and seeing the mk1's hes working on at the moment and his widebodied mk2's. I know hes going to be working on a very important roadster in a bit ( A 2zz conversion for his wife)

andyroo104

Top bloke is Patrick and he is already a member of most of the forums mentioned but best known on two brutal.
Excellent mechanic,auto electrician and bodywork/paint too,you name he will do it. :-) :-) :-)
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

IO2

How much does he charge for a normal basic 2zz conversion guy? Or better if I can get his contact pleade

Sadlebag

£1000 but you need to supply the engine, box and exhaust manifold!

cabbydave

That's not bad at all does that include fitting the lsd?

IO2

Quote from: "Sadlebag"£1000 but you need to supply the engine, box and exhaust manifold!

Thanks for the info, where is he located?

Sadlebag

I believe so, I'm getting him to transfer the 6th gear from the mr2 box to the Celica box as a "cruising" gear. Otherwise it's 4000rpm at 80mph.

He is in Eastbourne!

Sadlebag

I've added a few more parts to the list, the morosso sump, and the MWR pulleys for the water pump and alternator. They are lighter and slightly oversized. They have been know to give you about 3-4bhp increase.

Kimitech

Sadlebag: If you purchase one with 0.815 ratio. These which has a 0.725 ratio will be cruising around 3700 rpm at 80 mph. Which in fact still is not cruising at all. The solution would be an Avensis diesel 6th gear with ratio 0.638 from EA60 box. This equates 3200 rpm at 80 mph, so thats more like it.

Sadlebag

Really... I find at 80mph, in the mr2 box I have now, is 8300 rpm, which was fine for me.

Kimitech

In a 6speed MR2 box? You mean probably 3300 rpm, yes that´s nice.
But to get these numbers out of the C60 box is a different story (suggestions are above).

Anonymous

Surely if the input rpm to the box is the same the output is the same as long as the gear ratio and final drive are the same.

Kimitech

rbuckingham: Mate this is not his case.

Sadlebag

Learnt some thing new, you can fit 4 wheels in an mr2!!

Anonymous

Nice! What you got?

Anonymous

Oh sorry... The team dynamics I guess  s:) :) s:)

Sadlebag

One in the boot....

And 3 on the passenger seat  s:) :) s:) .

Tags: