2zz swap management light on, lacking power significantly!

Started by sc00bydoo, February 9, 2015, 21:05

sc00bydoo

Good evening folks,

I'm new to the forum so I'll start by saying hello to all and I hope to get to know you in time.

I've carried out a 2zz swap on my 2000 mr2 roadster, engine, gearbox and ecu all sourced from a donor celica 2005. The management light is on with the O2 sensor code on which makes sense as the primary sensor located near the cat was removed when the custom manifold went on.

The lift does kick in (at times) but is really weak and the power seems non existent before lift and is in surges, it feels much like the standard engine 1zz with the occasional weak lift. There is also a strong fuel smell...

Two questions;

A) could this alone explain why the car is behaving this way?

B) I've read about the ecu not being suitable due to the one wire vs 2 wire knock sensor issue, so if I source a 2000-2001 ecu will the car begin to perform at least as you'd expect from the standard block?

Your guidance is much appreciated,

KR

Scooby

cabbydave

Have you got a fuel leak on the fuel rail? When you did the conversion did you put another o2 sensor thread in the cat pipe? and lastly did your Celica have a 2 wire knock sensor? One more thing whereabouts are you?

sc00bydoo

Hi Dave,

There aren't any fuel leaks that I know of, the rail looks dry.

The cat pipe currently has no O2 sensor and no tread is in place yet to install a sensor.

The celica was a 2005 which I'm told are all 2 wire knock sensors, pre 2001 have the same one wire sensor setup as the mr2 does (or at least I'm told).

sc00bydoo

I'm in birmingham by the way,

Cheers

cabbydave

Did you not notice the amount of wires on the knock sensor when you did the conversion? Get the 1st o2 sensor welded in sockets are about £5 on ebay but you will need a big drill bit. Check how many wires are on the knock sensor as well. I'm going to Birmingham  tomorrow but won't have time to look at it but I'm down again on Saturday if you want me to have a quick look for you

Escy

Check the injector o-rings. Have you connected the charcoal cannister back up? When I did my conversion, I hadn't added the second lambda sensor at 1st. It would take a while for the ECU light to come on and the car went like a stabbed rat so I wouldn't have thought it'd have been that.

Pretty sure all the later 2zz engines had a 2 wire knock sensor. If the ECU is out of the same car it'll match up but you'll need to run the extra wire as it's not on the MR2 loom.

Tags: