Toyo Proxes T1R & T1S

Started by Anonymous, October 11, 2004, 13:40

markiii

m http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.t1-s m

they are listed as available
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Mark, Why are the 45's the wrong size  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html m

rolling radius

on the front you've gone up from 185 to 195 so to compensate teh rolling radius upid ecreased profile from 55 to 50

in order to the same at the rear

stock is 215/45 since you can't get 215 you have to go 225, so in order to keep the rolling radius matching you need to decrease teh profile from 45 to 40.

Have a play with teh link above.

however teh simple answer is a 45 will decrease acceleration and increase top speed. Wil you notice? possibly not. If I couldn't get a 225/40 would I be happt with a 225/45 possibly. however if you can do things properly you may as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris

225/40 is 2.3% too fast, so you're going 1.2mph slower than indicated at 60mph, where as 225/40 is 1.5 too slow, so you're going 0.1mph faster than indicated.

The ones they have sent are actually a close match in terms of percentage and lead to a smaller difference in reading, but tellingly in this speed camera infested age, it's a difference on the 'wrong' side...  whether either you or a camera could detect a 0.9mph difference in spped is another matter, as I susepct that the speedos have a 1-2% margin orf error in them anyway!!

I've just found out that camskill sell motul 600 fluid as well, so i'll be getting 4 new tyres and 2 bottles of this from them shortly.

eanlow - How long did the order take to arrive?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

What is the weight of Toyo T1-R's ?

The T1-S's were nice and light (i.e. even slightly lighter than the stock Bridgestone 040's, which weighed 17 pounds-185/55/15-front and 21 pounds-215/45/16 rear):
195/95/15 - 16.1 pounds
225/50/15 - 20.3 pounds

This link doesn't provide tire weights.
http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.t1-s

I'm going to get 10.5 pound 7"x15" wheels (all around) ... and I don't care much about rolling radii - just performance.

Can anyone say, definitively, how the dry grip compares between T1-R, T1-S, S03 and BFG KD.  I know that the BFG KD has the best dry grip, short of an R compound track tire; I'm just wondering how far behind the KD are the S03, T1-R and T1-S.

thanks,

Chris

Tem posted a link somewhere with a link to a chart with all the weights...

edit: in another thread in performance titled Toyo Proxes T1-R
 m http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2 m
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Tem posted a link somewhere with a link to a chart with all the weights...

edit: in another thread in performance titled Toyo Proxes T1-R
 m http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2 m

I couldn't find anything on Toyo T1-R weight via SEARCH ... but the "Performance Comparison" link - at the following Toyo/Japan link provided much insight ... into differences between the T1-S and T1-R ...
http://www.toyojapan.com/new_tires/p_uhp.html

Basically, Toyo claims improved dry handling, longer tread life (due to more silica impregnated in the compound) and less road noise, when they wear down (a common complaint).

Chris

true, having looked again, that link only provides t1-s weights   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm gonna send Toyo an email to see if they have any opinion on which size would be best...
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"true, having looked again, that link only provides t1-s weights   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm gonna send Toyo an email to see if they have any opinion on which size would be best...

Thanks, Chris ... but, actually, my question(s) are not at all about size (I can figure that out for myself).

What I can't seem to find out is:
What do the tires weigh?  (must vary by size; so, they need to include it in their spec charts)

BF Goodrich is fond of not including tire weights, too (does that mean they weigh a ton?    s:) :) s:)   )

Of course, these weight questions are more than "Trivial Pursuit" for our (relatively) low-torque & power MR2's.  I've seen evidence to the effect that the lighter tire/wheel combinations lower "Poor Man's Dyno" (and 1/4 mile) times in the range of 0.4 - 0.5 seconds!

The old Toyo T1-S tires were some 3 - 4 pounds lighter than most competitors, except the stock Bridgestone 040's.  Apparently, spinning/accelerating that extra unsprung weight matters a whole lot more than taking 3 - 4 pounds out of the car, elsewhere.

It's too bad that there aren't tire comparison tests, like there used to be.  It's nearly impossible to get reliable answers to questions like:

How much better (in dry grip ... or other measurements) is a BFG KD vs Toyo T1-R, Bridgestone S03 etc. ?

Anonymous

think i'll just go on a diet  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Chris, order was placed Thursday and tyres arrived the following Tuesday.

If anyone wants to know the weight of the 225/45/16's I still have those here at work and can weigh them.

Anonymous

I've just ordered some T1R's and can reconfirm that Camskill will offer a discount if delivered to a business address/mr2roc members.

However that doesn't help me too much as I've ordered 'em just before I'm off work for a few days   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

They seem a good bunch, and even called me up to ask what car I drove, and did I know I could have a discount.  Proactive like that is cool in my books.

Chris

Quote from: "phil4"Camskill will offer a discount if delivered to a business address....

s8) 8) s8)    Must've missed that nugget before!  Mind you, has anyone tried getting 4 tyres plus 1 driver in?  I bet it's hard...  I could empty the front bit to see if one fits, and then just pile the others on the passenger seat..

Mike - I realise you wanted weights, and that link does has t1-s weights on there - our sizes are around 18-19lbs.  I would imagine that the R is not that muh different...
[size=100]
[/size]

Bongo

I got 4 + me in the cabin, it was quite a squeeze mind.

Subjectively the car seemed to accelerate much quicker when I changed from the stock Yoko's to the T1-R.

Chris

Well, it's done!  Service booked in for next thusday, with 2x185/55/15s & 2x205/45/16s going to the garage straight from Toyo with 2xMotul fluid coming to me, with the mr2 discount!

If the worst comes to the worst, then I can change to rears and keep the others for track days...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"that link does has t1-s weights on there - our sizes are around 18-19lbs.  I would imagine that the R is not that much different...

ok, thanks ... ` makes sense, if the T1-R is just an improved T1-S.

Two's Company

How much discount do Camskill give members?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"How much discount do Camskill give members?

See posts 7/8 Feb 05 on this thread.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Well, it's done!  Service booked in for next thusday, with 2x185/55/15s & 2x205/45/16s going to the garage straight from Toyo with 2xMotul fluid coming to me, with the mr2 discount!

If the worst comes to the worst, then I can change to rears and keep the others for track days...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

What grade / type of Motul oil do you recommend ?

Puggman

Chris

Using the info from previous threads, i'll be getting my brake fluid replaced with Motul 600 race spec stuff, as I intend to do a few track days this year...  Not touched the oil as yet, as thats a whole other ball game   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Has anyone mixed the T1-S & R's?  I have two T1-S's fitted to the front and will soon be replacing the rear RE040's and was going to stick with Toyo.  

Should i put the same T1-S on the rear to keep the tyres the same all round or would the improved T1-R be better ?

The car is a W plate 2000, so has the 15" wheels.

Tem

Quote from: "leon_judge"Has anyone mixed the T1-S & R's?  I have two T1-S's fitted to the front and will soon be replacing the rear RE040's and was going to stick with Toyo.  

Should i put the same T1-S on the rear to keep the tyres the same all round or would the improved T1-R be better ?

The car is a W plate 2000, so has the 15" wheels.

I'm sure T1-S+T1-R combo would be better than a T1-S+RE040 combo  s;) ;) s;)

In general you shouldn't mix, but if you've been happy with your current mixup, then you might be happy with a mixup of two tyres close to each others. I suppose you don't really push the car that much then?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Dont get me wrong, im not happy with the T1/RE040 combo, ive just been wearing the RE040's down a bit more before replacing them.  However, the car certainly handles better with the combo than it did with RE040's all round.

Think i will go with the T1-S on the rear when i replace them then, at least it keeps it consistent.

Thanks

Robbie

Well I am now the owner of standard size replacement alloys (replaced under warranty earlier this month)...plus a new set of Toyo Proxes T1R.

I have to say I am completely disllusioned with them...right from the moment I overshot the white line at a set of traffic lights on the drive home from the garage.  (I know this is probably my fault as I forgot about scrubbing in.)

They are now scrubbed in (500 miles) but to be honest, they don't match up to my Bridgestone RE040s. Since driving on the Toyos the car doesn't stop nearly as well; is more susceptible to cross-winds; the car veers to the left as I change up through the gears; it literally "bounces" slowly round corners and it generally wanders over the road when driving at motorway speeds. With the Bridgestones on my car exhibited none of these vices.  It always behaved impeccably; late-breaking was effortless and it felt as if it was on rails going round corners.

Admittedly, the Toyos are quieter and don't tramline nearly as much as the Bridgestones, but I'd happily swap them back if it gave me my sure-footed, fun car back.

I've experimented with different tyre pressures, and to be honest this is still ongoing, but I'm hopeful that someone will post some "magic pressure figs" for me to save me a lot of grief.

I really am despondent...it's like driving a different car.

Thanks in anticipation

Robbie
2002 MR2 Silver - Black Leather

markiii

add anything between 2 and 4psi over stock pressures.

Tags: