Straight line Cornering..... WHAT!?

Started by woodypk, February 26, 2015, 20:06

woodypk

Hey guys

does anyone have any troubles with their car's front end lightweightness?!

I can be slow speed cornering and turn the wheel and still have the car travel in a straight line! Even with minimal right foot action!

Granted, I do have cruddy front tyres at the moment. Just bought some T1R's from a forum member. Hoping this helps some with the front end grip!

Anyone encountered this and found a solution?

It doesn't seem to be as much as a problem with higher speeds although I've had to dig the nose in a couple of times round corners using the brakes just to get the damn thing to turn!

I don't want to resort to a bag of cement in the front to stick the front to the ground.

Oh,, and by the way. Does anyone know the MR2 mk3 front to rear weight ratio?

Cheers guys!

Tom
Black W reg standard - Gone
Sable 06 Reg turbo - staying forever

If I were to add up how much I'd spent on my car, I still wouldn't be able to afford a new Vauxhall Corsa - And I know which one I'd rather have...

mikews

What are your tyre pressures set to ?

mrzwei

As above, this subject is well covered on here.
Same make of tyres all 'round with the correct  size stagger and the correct pressure stagger plus make sure that you've got all three splitters under the front bumper.
By its very nature, the car feels light on the front end at speed.
Check all the front suspension joints and bearings for play. It should handle and corner like a go-cart in standard spec.
Maybe think about 4 wheel alignment if all else is ok.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

lamcote

Weight distribution is 44:56 f:r.

Putting a bag of cement in the front would only increase understeer, more weight equals less grip.

Something must be wrong with the geometry and or tyres, mine has fantastic front grip.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Wabbitkilla

You answered your own question, crappie tyres
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: