Nasty in the wet!

Started by Anonymous, October 12, 2004, 21:22

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I got my Toyo's delivered from mytyres for just under £170 all in. I then phoned a local backstreet garage to fit and it cost me £28. All in all, under £200. Any other tyre and I think you are going to struggle with that to be honest. mytyres were excellent value, came in on delivery time, even though they said they had to track them from Germany and the backstreet fitter was no worse than any large company doing it. I wouldn't worry about delivery and fitting. Delivery is cheap and fitting can be done anywhere really........

Easy peasy!

(P.S. When you consider that going to a local and getting stock Bridgestones fitted for over £50 a tyre (some quoted me full proce of around £80!) and VAT AND fitting on that, you are looking at over £300. I think the delivery and fitting method shows that its a MUCH cheaper way of doing things)

Thanks John and Aaron, just so I get exactly the right tyres, which ones did you order? Quality advice and probably saved me a wee fortune (and thank God I dont have an M3 Aaron!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markions"
Quote from: "John Woodward"I got my Toyo's delivered from mytyres for just under £170 all in. I then phoned a local backstreet garage to fit and it cost me £28. All in all, under £200. Any other tyre and I think you are going to struggle with that to be honest. mytyres were excellent value, came in on delivery time, even though they said they had to track them from Germany and the backstreet fitter was no worse than any large company doing it. I wouldn't worry about delivery and fitting. Delivery is cheap and fitting can be done anywhere really........

Easy peasy!

(P.S. When you consider that going to a local and getting stock Bridgestones fitted for over £50 a tyre (some quoted me full proce of around £80!) and VAT AND fitting on that, you are looking at over £300. I think the delivery and fitting method shows that its a MUCH cheaper way of doing things)

Thanks John and Aaron, just so I get exactly the right tyres, which ones did you order? Quality advice and probably saved me a wee fortune (and thank God I dont have an M3 Aaron!!!!

Toyo Proxes T1-S. Fronts 185/55/15s Rears 205/50/15s (pre 03 that is).

They take a little while to scrub in (some have quoted only 200 miles, but as I found it to be nearer 500, I think it depends on how you drive) and they may seems little "slippery" at first. Stick with them. I had reservations initially, but they bed in lovely and the grip and the turn is now there that I had with the stock Bridgies (which some people don't like. I think that they were actually pretty darn good).

And get in there quick too. I think Toyo are replacing them very soon (or already phasing them out) with the T1-Rs. I reckon that they will be pretty good, with stiffer side walls (which, to be fair is what the S's need really) and probably higher wear, but bang for buck, you can't beat the S's really. So go on, stop reading! Go and do it!!!!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Darth Maul said- Many advocates of Toyo on this 'ere board. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on mine. I have no experience of the Toyos, but the F1s are more grippy in the dry than the stock Bridgestones/Yokohamas, and infinately more grippy in the wet. I heard rumour that the grip levels in the wet of the F1s are comparable to the stock tyre's grip levels in the dry...  Expensive though, but worth it.  Especially when I know not to cane it out of junctions in the wet but the wife doesn't.

I use Goodyear F1's all round after coming off roundabouts twice backwards.. once i was on 2 wheels followed by the OTHER two wheels.. not a joke! all at about 25-30 mph!

Since then the peace of mind offered and  the awesome grip in dry or wet but particularly in wet has been worth evert penny spent  (cost me £320 for 4 fitted). the inly time i have felt the car lose grip since getting F1's is- on wet grass~ loads of fun  s:D :D s:D  , on gravel at a track day..   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   and on ice at 5mph  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

Agree with everything John said about the Toyo's - best bank for the buck in my book.. I've also had Bridgestone S-03's on the 300ZX, and I found the Toyo's more progressive - not tried the Goodyears (they're usually really really expensive), but they also get good reviews (like vibratingsky's  s:) :) s:) )

Quote from: "John Woodward"They take a little while to scrub in (some have quoted only 200 miles, but as I found it to be nearer 500, I think it depends on how you drive) and they may seems little "slippery" at first.

Think I scrubbed the rears on the 300ZX in about ten yards - but then I did manage to leave big black lines on the road coming out of the tyre place.. Oops - they are quite slippy when brand new..  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I don't really recommend that method of scrubbing them in, however  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

yeah i scrubbed my new bridgestones by spinning off the road into a curb,

Seemed to work well.

Anonymous

Since the last posting Ive been shopping around to get the Toyos and popped into my local Tyre place to check the cost of fitting. The guy there told me that the Good Year F1 tryes are better as the Toyos dont last long. He also advised to go for 195/50/15 on the front with the 205/50/15 on the back. Are the Goodyear better and should i go for 195's on the front?????  s:? :? s:?  

By the way, also realised that Ive got bloomin 185's on the back at the moment! So although loads of tread, they are the wrong size and I'm sure that wont have helped!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

SteveJ

I put Toyo Proxes on mine at 20K, and it's now at 36K with plenty of life left in the rears and the fronts still look brand new and believe me, I dont drive slowly (especially around corners - traction control is great  s;) ;) s;)  )

Anonymous

Did you get yours on the net then get them fitted? What size did you go for? Cheers!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markions"By the way, also realised that Ive got bloomin 185's on the back at the moment! So although loads of tread, they are the wrong size and I'm sure that wont have helped!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

185's on the back!?!?!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

bloody hell, you're askin for trouble with those especially with the nasty weather here! seriously mate, get them sorted ASAP!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markions"Since the last posting Ive been shopping around to get the Toyos and popped into my local Tyre place to check the cost of fitting. The guy there told me that the Good Year F1 tryes are better as the Toyos dont last long. He also advised to go for 195/50/15 on the front with the 205/50/15 on the back. Are the Goodyear better and should i go for 195's on the front?????  s:? :? s:?  

By the way, also realised that Ive got bloomin 185's on the back at the moment! So although loads of tread, they are the wrong size and I'm sure that wont have helped!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

JEEZUZ Mark! Thats is just a big off waiting to happen!

These cars are VERY tyre and pressure sensitive. Get them sorted ASAP!!!

As for the F1's yeah, they probably are better than the Toyo's overall (more grip, slightly better wear rate etc.......), but they cost a SHED load more. Bang for buck, you aren't going to beat the Toyo's. Similar tread pattern, so water dispersal probably isn't that much off the F1's, the wear is pretty good unless you really are ragging it everywhere, then NO tyre is going to last that long, and they are much cheaper than the F1's, yet still a damn good tyre and good company.

Go for the F1's if you want to afford it. That is your choice. If I could, I probably would have too. But I couldn't, so I went for the Toyo's and I have not been disappointed in the slightest.

Don't forget. You went to a garage for that advice. He is probably doing the sales pitch on you too!!!!!

But for goodness sake, get those 185's off the back ASAP. I fear for your safety, especially in this wet weather. And I would stick with stock sizes on the front too. Will keep the feel of the car and probably reduce tramlining.........but I don't think there have been too many problems with 195s though. I would stay with stock personally........up to you.

roger

I don't "need" replacements with new stocks, but a quick question about tyre sizes on the new 16" wheel.

I note Toyo (not sure about F1s) don't do  215/45/16. In theory 205/50/16 should do the trick.

Has anybody any dire warnings about this change?

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

Re my previous post thought I would try Toyo technical via their website.

Lo and behold got the reply within 15 minutes... excellent service.

"We do not have plans at the moment to produce a 215/45R16.

The 215/45R16 86 V/W has an overall diameter of 600mm to 608mm (depending on manufacturer) , the 205/50R16 87W has an OD of 613mm (Toyo dimension), a slightly higher load carrying capacity and will fit on a 5.5" to 7.5" rim but is obviously a narrower tyre. Another possible conversion is 225/45R16 93W RF, this has an OD of 608mm (Toyo T1R dimension), a higher load carrying capacity and will fit on a 7.0" to 8.5" rim.
As with any conversion please ensure that there is adequate clearance from bodywork and mechanical components.

If I can be of any further help please give me a call.

Regards

Alan Meaker
Technical Engineer"

It looks as though he is recommending a 225/45/16 subject to clearance.

roger
Roger

Anonymous

if you go for 225's at the back roger,  this will make it too grippy at the back and result in understeer, thus upsetting the balance of the car

roger

Quote from: "Tomr2"if you go for 225's at the back roger,  this will make it too grippy at the back and result in understeer, thus upsetting the balance of the car

I assume this will be at or around the limit.  But based on this logic if you drop to 205's wouldn't this turn into oversteer?.

I wonder if to get the balance / grip ratio back you should therefore fit 195/50 at the front, with the 225's at the rear?

roger
Roger

aaronjb

Should probably start a new thread for this guys, as we're in danger of dragging the original one far off topic  s:) :) s:)

But, I assume you're talking about the post 2003 rear wheels? I believe there's a couple of posts around here someplace about the sizes to go to.. IIRC it involved going to 195 fronts and 225 rears, but I'm not sure, shall try to dredge the thread up, though as I say, we should probably start a separate "Tyre sizes for 2003 wheels" thread  s;) ;) s;)  (Before Steve comes along and hits us over the head with his moderators stick  s:) :) s:) )

Oh - wait - just went back and looked at MarkIII's first post here and also realised that markions hasn't said if he has a pre-03 or post-03, so this could be on topic:

Quote from: "markiii"Pre-03

185/55/15 front
205/50/15 rear

post o3

195/50/15 front
225/40/16 rear

I'd agree with Mark on those sizes  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

roger

Sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'll shut up now!

Just goes to show as you get older the memory becomes more like that of a goldfish.

Just goes to show as you get older the memory becomes more like that of a goldfish (Oh bother   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

roger
Roger

aaronjb

Quote from: "roger"Sorry   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'll shut up now!

s:D :D s:D  I didn't mean you had to shut up  s;) ;) s;)  Not sure what my excuse is, though, as I'd forgotten about Mark's post too.. I also managed to miss the fact that in the very first post, Markions does actually say he's got a 2002 car  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Now I'll shut up  s:) :) s:)

GSB

<MOD>
Actually guys, if you do want to discuss front/rear tyres size differectials and the handling effects therof, I'd rather it was in a seperate thread. That way its a lot easier to find and refer to in the future, as its a topic that'll come up again and again...

Cheers all...

</MOD>
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"JEEZUZ Mark! Thats is just a big off waiting to happen!

These cars are VERY tyre and pressure sensitive. Get them sorted ASAP!!!

As for the F1's yeah, they probably are better than the Toyo's overall (more grip, slightly better wear rate etc.......), but they cost a SHED load more. Bang for buck, you aren't going to beat the Toyo's. Similar tread pattern, so water dispersal probably isn't that much off the F1's, the wear is pretty good unless you really are ragging it everywhere, then NO tyre is going to last that long, and they are much cheaper than the F1's, yet still a damn good tyre and good company.

Go for the F1's if you want to afford it. That is your choice. If I could, I probably would have too. But I couldn't, so I went for the Toyo's and I have not been disappointed in the slightest.

Don't forget. You went to a garage for that advice. He is probably doing the sales pitch on you too!!!!!

But for goodness sake, get those 185's off the back ASAP. I fear for your safety, especially in this wet weather. And I would stick with stock sizes on the front too. Will keep the feel of the car and probably reduce tramlining.........but I don't think there have been too many problems with 195s though. I would stay with stock personally........up to you.

Yet again John I appreciate the concern!   s:) :) s:)  

Have garaged the MR2 until get the tyres ordered tomorrow and fitted! Cant trust the missus not to cane it of roundabouts and really now fear she will come a cropper!

Will get the T1S' unless anyone recommends the T1R'??? Cant see much on this site about recent reviews??? Any way, John your recommendations are very greatfully received!

Aaron, it is indeed a 2002 model!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The car gets a new rear bumper next week as some pratt decided to drive into the rear end! Decided to get it machine polished (as lots of swirls and wee scratches) and also get it Diamondbrited!  So wads of cash going on this wee motor! Will use site all the time now as need to make improvements!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bongo

I don't think anyone has used the T1R on an MR2 yet, but Toyo have brought them out to replace the T1S.

They'll most likely be my next tyre unless my tyre guy can give me a good deal on Goodyear F1s but not on Toyos.

markiii

I'd get the T1R if you can, as if one or more need replacing in months to come you may not be able to get the T1S, and you shouldn't mix them.

Ultimately the T1R will be the only choice we have in the near future anyway, so I'd go with that.

However if you can only get the S I'd still get them.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

I'm sure I read about someone on here having the T1-R's on their car.. perhaps it wasn't a '2.. That's right - someone had them on a friends MX-5, and they held up very well on a track day IIRC..

Quote from: "markiii"I'd get the T1R if you can, as if one or more need replacing in months to come you may not be able to get the T1S, and you shouldn't mix them.

Actually their web site says they're being phased out in '2004/2005', so they could be around for up to a year from now - and they will still be keeping 12 sizes available in the T1-S after that (though it doesn't say what sizes)..

I don't know about you - but that makes me think there's still a reason to prefer the S, otherwise they'd simply have killed it off... Perhaps it's the sidewall construction, who knows, I guess  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I wouldn't get S03 in your shoes, they are a great wet tyre, but really really bad in the snow, since winter is approaching you'll just have the same problem when the snow arrives.

My 2p advice   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I cannot overemphasise the importance of tyre performance (especially in the wet and on a mid-engined car).

I personally don't have preferences for one make or another. Have tried Good Year F1, Bridgestone SO2 and S03, Yokohama (stocks).

Have yet to find a tyre that can beat S03 in the wet (and in longevity -- that's the usual trade-off of cheaper manufacturers). Even GY's F1 cannot match the S03 for wet grip, and F1 are pretty amazing. Seriously, these tyres (S03 / F1) have better grip in the wet than most ordinary tyres will have even in the dry.

However, if you get a lot of snow (and cold weather in general), none of these tyres will work well... the rubber compound is simply too hard at lower temperatures. If that's the case, you should consider fitting all-season or winter tyres (much softer compound). And if you get a lot of snow, you should actually fit much narrower tyres (e.g. 155s and 185s)

But that would look pretty ugly   s:? :? s:?

Darth Paul

This week's Autocar has a tyre test. Both F1s and S03's are tested. S03's best in the dry (just), F1's come last (out of five), but are still very good. In the wet, nothing touches the F1's.

Anonymous

Have now placed the order and opted (at last!) for the Toyo T1'Rs. I got some more advise from Camskill Motor Sport and apparently Toyo claim 5% better grip in wet than the T1's and 25% better in the dry. They also stated have lots of satisfied customers.

I'll let you know how they fair when they have bedded in.

If your looking to buy tyres Camskill seem excellent. Good advise, quick and brilliant prices (£194 for set of 4 Toyos!).

Anyway, cheers to all for the advise, lets hope this keeps the missus and my car on the road this winter!!!!

Tags: