Only a weekend of ownership.....but loving it!

Started by Amarlborough, March 2, 2015, 09:42

Amarlborough

Hi all,

After searching for an MR2, I finally got one from another member of the club. A 52 plate early face lift in red, known round these parts as Chilli   s:D :D s:D  

Lovely drive back from Salisbury car didn't miss abeat! Very pleased indeed.

Once home i set about cleaning inside and out, this gave me time to think about what I wanted to improve upon.
As I said before in the new members group, car is a credit to Jane. But is starting to show her age abit in certain areas.

So to remedy this I'm in the process of sourcing new interior trim from a later car, gator leather and gear knob.

Arranged a vist to the local paint shop Today to get a quote to remove a couple of deep scratches & have the stone chips looked at. Maybe a machine polish too.

Decided I want the pre cats gone, I've been assured the condition of the cats are fine, but it feels like a time bomb!   s:( :( s:(  
So they are coming out Thursday!

New headlights, Jane has done her best to keep them clear but they are starting to go. I cannot fault that ladies dedication to the car, so if she can't keep them clear I think they are done! But at £200 per unit I may well give it a try!

Wheel alignment. If anyone knows of a decent place in beds or bucks let me know.

Finally source some gloss back air vents and smoked indicator lenses and a mr2roc club sticker!   s:D :D s:D

MilesH

They certainly are an addictive little car!  s:) :) s:)

If I was in the bucks area I would definitely use these guys for a geo. Highly respected and have done quite a few forum members mr2 geo's:

m http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/ m

Amarlborough

Cheers MilesH,

I'll give them a call  s:D :D s:D

MrACD

I have just finished my second weekend of ownership! - What a great little car for the money.. Mine is also in Chilli and sounds like I am looking to do exactly the same things.. Bit of paintwork here and there etc.

I have a 6 speeder on an 03 reg.

For the lights, if you are comfortable giving it a try, have a look on eBay for 3m headlight restoration kit, about £16.99, works wonders   s:D :D s:D
2003 Red Chilli, Hardtop and AC
2005 VW Golf Gti MK5 DSG
2005 Honda VFR 800 Vtec

Amarlborough

thanks for the tip MrACD, glad your enjoying your MR2 too!  s:D :D s:D

went out yesterday and got the Meguiars head light restoration plus which included a buffer drill bit. Really pleased with how the near side unit buffed up although the offside didn't come up as well.

Definitely better though, much happier with them. Going to leave them as they are and put the cash towards the paintwork.

dkleese

Quote from: "MrACD"For the lights, if you are comfortable giving it a try, have a look on eBay for 3m headlight restoration kit, about £16.99, works wonders   s:D :D s:D

How effective is this kit do you have before and after pics?

Need do my Roadster and Passat

Anonymous

Quote from: "dkleese"
Quote from: "MrACD"For the lights, if you are comfortable giving it a try, have a look on eBay for 3m headlight restoration kit, about £16.99, works wonders   s:D :D s:D

How effective is this kit do you have before and after pics?

Need do my Roadster and Passat

Very good I've got one. But you must seal and protect them afterwards

dkleese

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Quote from: "dkleese"
Quote from: "MrACD"Very good I've got one. But you must deal and protect them afterwards

Guessing the sealant isn't part of the kit what did you use?

Is there enough of the polish with the kit to do four headlights?

Anonymous

I was recommended some product by tomaky I will have a look when I get home.

I've done four with mine, yes  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Here we go:

Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor

m http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom ... db_pid=257 m

dkleese

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Here we go:

Diamondite Clear Plastic Liquid Armor

m http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom ... db_pid=257 m

Ok brilliant thanks   s:D :D s:D

MrACD

This was how I got it with some elbow grease - was quite yellow when I got it - still showing signs.

This was after the 3M kit - Loads better

2005 VW Golf Gti MK5 DSG
2005 Honda VFR 800 Vtec

MrACD

Oh and I washed it  s:) :) s:)

2005 VW Golf Gti MK5 DSG
2005 Honda VFR 800 Vtec

Anonymous

Nice looking roadster!

So did you have an audience as you cleaned it, there is a front row of seats ready for the performance  s:D :D s:D

MrACD

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Nice looking roadster!

So did you have an audience shut you cleaned it, there is a front row of seats ready for the performance  s:D :D s:D

Haha - my grandad and the neighbour were watching me slave away - got the usual 'you've missed a bit' lark  s:) :) s:)
2005 VW Golf Gti MK5 DSG
2005 Honda VFR 800 Vtec

Amarlborough

Well it's nearly been a month of ownership and I think I've fallen in deep with the car!

Since I gained ownership I've taken the precats out for piece of mind. Pacific works sorted this for me whilst I waited, and was pleased to see the cats were in perfect condition before they where smashed to oblivion!

Had some nasty stone chips on the bonnet and the offside rear panel had a dent/scrape which I felt was spoiling the otherwise perfect paint work. So it was booked in to La paintworks to get it sorted. Whilst it was in, couldn't resist getting the flank air vents painted gloss back. Just to break up the red alittle. Thinking now maybe the wing mirrors need to be the same gloss black?

Next on the list was smoked indicator lenses and head light renovation. Put a lot of effort into the head lights although they are still not perfect! But can't stomach £400 for new units!

After researching the forum I realised the car had ears! Rummaged around the roof and found the strap. After a lot of swearing I finally threaded the strap & the ears are history!  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

A markiii pipe was ordered along with a blitz filter. Both are now in and the MAF cleaned along with an ECU reset.

Next is firming up the gear change, I've got some ultimate bushings on order and Ive got my eye on a trd quick shift and a gear box oil change.

Hasn't all been work, had an excellent 3 days up in the Lake District too enjoying all the roadster had to give! And a few Sunday blasts!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Wow looks great! Sounds like you've been busy and I think your hard work has paid off  s:) :) s:)  keep it up!

Amarlborough

Cheers Meeerrrk,

Been following your build thread, quality work something to aspire to!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

Ps gloss black mirrors would look good, we did that on our nissan and the black and red looks great  s:) :) s:)

Bernie

Looking good you need some of Dev's keyhole covers too

m http://www.keytechniques.net/Keyhole-coversSpyder.html m
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Amarlborough

Quote from: "bernie11a"Looking good you need some of Dev's keyhole covers too

m http://www.keytechniques.net/Keyhole-coversSpyder.html m

Ooooh I like them!  

The list of mods keeps on growing!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: