Removing Spare Wheel Storage Bin / Frunk

Started by 2005mr2, March 5, 2015, 20:32

2005mr2

I bought a 2005 'red' in autumn and have been doing a few things with it over winter; the information on here has been invaluable! That said, I can't seem to work out how to remove the frunk / storage bin itself, not just the plastic surround, the whole thing.

The reason is I'm trying to gain access to what looks like a cross member at the front of the car, underneath the frunk / spare wheel storage. The cross member looks like it has some surface corrosion which I'd like to treat ASAP.

I can see 2 bolts inside the bin/frunk which secure the alarm sounder, easy enough to remove. There
are also 2 bolts underneath which appears to secure the bin to the cross member. The one on the offside
is just about accessible from the top but I can't see it's possible to access the other on the nearside
without removing the front under tray.

I have searched the forum but couldn't see something covering this. Could anyone point me in the right direction or let me know the best way to go about this please? Thanks!

Anonymous

It is removed from inside. Lift the lid and empty it. Remove the alarm sounder. There are a couple of screws at the top and maybe one at the bottom, but not sure about that. Once the screws are out, the bin needs to be wiggled and pulled up, it sits in a little rubber seat so it is quite secure even without the screws.

Everything's done from the top, not from underneath

gazza1286

While it's out treat the power steering pipes to prevent corrosion.

2005mr2

Thanks very much, I'll give that a go over the weekend.

Anonymous

I did it recently, check out the thread in my signature, last few pages have pics of it all with rust, how I treated it and the end result

colin123bell

Quote from: "2005mr2"I bought a 2005 'red' in autumn and have been doing a few things with it over winter; the information on here has been invaluable! That said, I can't seem to work out how to remove the frunk / storage bin itself, not just the plastic surround, the whole thing.

The reason is I'm trying to gain access to what looks like a cross member at the front of the car, underneath the frunk / spare wheel storage. The cross member looks like it has some surface corrosion which I'd like to treat ASAP.

I can see 2 bolts inside the bin/frunk which secure the alarm sounder, easy enough to remove. There
are also 2 bolts underneath which appears to secure the bin to the cross member. The one on the offside
is just about accessible from the top but I can't see it's possible to access the other on the nearside
without removing the front under tray.

I have searched the forum but couldn't see something covering this. Could anyone point me in the right direction or let me know the best way to go about this please? Thanks!
I remember undoing the m10 bolts and it pops up with a little force.I pput a jemmy bar under to prize it out feels a bit stuck but it pops out..

Topdownman

I seem to remember using quite a lot of force to free mine once the fixings were undone.

Dont forget to grease the steering UJ while you are down that way!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: