Fast Road Settings?

Started by adam p, March 31, 2015, 16:41

adam p

I've just had some uprated KYB shocks fitted to my Roadster on an unknown make of lowering springs and also had the rear subframe welded up so need the alignment done. It's going on a Hunter machine tomorrow and was wondering if there are any fast road settings available? The car will never be going on a track while I own it anyway and just want it to grip better on the twisties or should I just stay with the manufacturers recommended settings?

lamcote

I am fairly sure MattPerformance recommended 3mm total toe in front and 6mm total toe in rear.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

adam p

Ok thanks. Is the camber adjustable on the front and rear? If so would 1.5degree negative be about right or do I need to increase it to say 2.0degrees?

lamcote

Camber is not adjustable as standard, you need special bolts (but they are pretty cheap) or coilovers (which are not at all cheap). From what I have seen on here -1.5 deg all round is thought to be ideal for road camber settings.

Have you found the new dampers make a noticeable change?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

adam p

The front dampers were in the worst condition possible and when I drove over a grid in the wet or drove on bumpy roads the car would skip. The new dampers have made a huge improvement and the car's now planted. The grip, handling and general driveability is immense whether it's in the wet or dry and it hasn't even been aligned yet. I think the shocks absorb bumps well and it's not at all crashy, just firm  s:) :) s:)  . With it being a road only car I ruled out coil overs.

Tags: