Front Downforce

Started by Eastsoutheast, April 8, 2015, 07:03

SFerrari

I did create a front vent in the hood, in order to generate downforce.
here is a link to the result, it works incredibly well :

m http://www.mrs-passion.com/forum/downlo ... &mode=view m

Eastsoutheast

That front vent is an interesting and unique solution.

I will look at getting some pads as suggested and keep my stock discs as they are in decent condition.

Will be attending ding day so may well still get the alignment checked whilst there.

Wish I could change a set of pads in 20 minutes. Can they be changed without having to bleed the brakes as mine are close ish to needing replacement and I would prefer to do it myself.

Maybe we could arrange a track day at Bedford aerodrome and get as many members along as possible?

Anonymous

Front pads really do only take 20mins to replace.

No bleeding required.

I'd be interested in a day at Bedford!

Jrichards20

front pads are dead easy. Wheels off, couple of bolts to undo calliper, pads out, new pads in, bit of grease, back in calliper. Calliper back over disc. Wheel back on.  The most difficult bit is sometimes the calliper piston needs to be push back in, but a bit of flat wood and some sort of tool that can apply pressure like a clamp or even a large plier to move it in slightly. But all in all, a very very easy job to do.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

SFerrari

Quote from: "SFerrari"I did create a front vent in the hood, in order to generate downforce.
here is a link to the result, it works incredibly well :

m http://www.mrs-passion.com/forum/downlo ... &mode=view m

Some more pics about the air vent :

doodlepugg

This vent... Is it sucking air out from the rad? I can't see the pictures well enough to figure it out. Matched with a splitter & venturi floor, that could be a decent idea.

shnazzle

I don't get how that vent works assuming what's under the bonnet is stock. But as said, if the air was channeled smoothly to under the car and the bottom had a venturi of sorts... That'd be cool
...neutiquam erro.

SFerrari

The incoming air is fully directed to the rad, going through it and exiting to the vent, creating downforce to the car front end.
Very efficient. The car now feels stuck to the road, no more floating feeling.

shnazzle

Oh now I see it! Didn't see the panel behind the rad pushing the air up. That is brilliant!
...neutiquam erro.

Wabbitkilla

Similar idea to the Elise then ..... if it works for Lotus then it should work for anyone.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

SFerrari

Quote from: "shnazzle"Oh now I see it! Didn't see the panel behind the rad pushing the air up. That is brilliant!

Thanks   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I just tried to gather all the existing system into something I was able to setup with my hands (and no tools).
Pretty much happy with the result, at (almost) no cost.

shnazzle

Really like this idea... This may need to be added to list of possible mods
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

That looks pretty neat.

Interested in it myself.

I can't get the link to work; Does the link work for everyone else? Might be because I'm on tapatalk

shnazzle

Link does nothing. Think it was just a link to the pics posted later.
This is right up your alley!
...neutiquam erro.

SFerrari

yes, the link is the same as the pics posted after  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Some more info / pics of what you did would be pretty good!

Eastsoutheast

It does seem a really great mod with real benefits. How easy is it to replicate and if you could would you do it any differently having done it already?

Thanks

dan944

Rogue has a similar set up that seems pretty decent. Been looking at it myself. It's effectively a funnel running from behing the radiator up to the bonnet with a large meshed square in the middle of th bonnet for air to escape.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

shnazzle

I'd definitely grill the top and put water drain holes (small) in the bottom of the funnel,being a daily driver.
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

As I have a large hole there I might now have to rethink in covering it. Oh well more work lol.

doodlepugg

It's also extremely useful if you have a sealed off floor, to maintain good airflow to the rad.
Lotus are generally the best manufacturers to copy when it comes to aerodynamics & ground effect. Although the Exige rear diffuser is set up at too aggressive an angle stock, and creates flow separation  s:D :D s:D

All food for though, though!
  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Mr X

I've been keeping an eye on this to do the same thing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-MRS-Roadster-CARBON-FIBER-00-05-Vented-Bonnet-inc-MESH-/251632146251?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9671d74b

They made a non-carbon version but looking at your effort SFerrari, I may just have to get my angle grinder out instead!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

doodlepugg

Just make sure you make the shape of the vent right, so as to suck air out from the rad. Essentially a diffuser in the bay. Don't be tempted to duct it to the base of the windscreen either. That wouldn't work at all, and would probably restrict airflow to the rad!
Smack bang in the middle of the the bonnet is about best - though I like my little storage hole, so I might make ducts each side as & when.

mikey P

Interesting idea cutting hole. Not sure it adds any aero effects on the Elise. Its done as the radiator is horizontal instead of vertical so needs this to get air flow through it. (Always used to be problem on the Elise in the rain as when the rain hit it you would get lots of steam coming up off it).

SFerrari

As per the general interest, thanks for that,  I'll try to post more pics of the whole setup, but it needs to get a fully empty front trunk (including removing steering pump in my case to have more room, but it could possibly stay in place but not ideal).

I have weighted the car today, at local MOT, and I've reached 840kg whitout hard top (considering it weights 30kg but not sure) and with full gas tank.   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Cheers

Tags: