Clutch Help W3 URGENT - Replace or adjust ?

Started by mikefrance, April 9, 2015, 11:10

mikefrance

Hello MR2 Peoples !
Please help me somewhat urgently as I'm a bit stuck and short on time as new baby coming and need car...

For a while now, there has been a gradual degrade of the engine power after changing gears. The clutch point is right at the top of pedal, but has been since I bought car 12000 miles ago.

Feels like a  sshit shit sshit ty auto after changing gear (in all gears i reckon) but especially 3,4,5,6 i.e: It takes a few seconds to fully engage for power to come.

If I'm a bit snappier with coming off pedal, this usually helps.

Lots of people have tried to tell me that it just needs adjusting (pedal etc) or possible fluid air issue or even slave cylinder...

The point is, that I assumed it was a new clutch kit needed and lots of work, and as I have no money at the moment, just stopped using it.
I now need to use it, but cannot be stuck at the side of the road with no clutch in rural France.

How can I tell if its a new clutch needed and therefore will brake down if I use the car ?

Thank you all in advance !

SteveJ

If it was air in the system or a slave-cylinder fault you wouldn't be able to dis-engage the clutch fully (and grinding to engage gears). The symptoms you describe combined with the '2 being a hydraulic release setup indicates either a dead clutch (most likely) or a contaminated fly-wheel.

Both problems require a replacement clutch so might as well buy one and get the job done.

Tags: