Air filter relocation

Started by yiug412, May 15, 2015, 21:00

yiug412

Hi

As my MR2 is getting proper brakes, matt's bracing and teins spring this weekend. I really think it need some sound from the engine and thinking about cone filter I take for some induction noise.

I had a search on the forum, basically using the £40 eBay kit will just make intake temp go crazy.

I read something about relocating in front of battery behind the vent. I also read as that changed the intake length from the MAF sensor to the throttle it will need ECU tuning. Can some please advise on this if possible?

Thanks!

Louis

AndyM

Hi Louis,

All I can say is that I made a 'behind the battery' kit and installed it about a month ago and I've had zero issues with it. Performance has been in no way compromised (in fact I think it's got a bit more around the 3500 mark) and the ECU fuel trims seem to have settled so I'm getting exactly the same MPG as before and no rough running.

That said, I haven't measured the tube (I cut it to fit) so I may have accidentally ended up with a similar length between the MAF and TB as stock without realising.

My personal advice would be to make sure you get a decent filter on there. There is no point chucking out the decent stock panel to replace it with a bit of cheap eBay gauze in my opinion. It might sound raspy but you really don't want badly filtered air taking a direct route into the engine. I went with a top notch Apexi cone (imported from Japan) to give me the best of both filtration and flow.

Hope some of that helps.

Andy
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

yiug412

Hi Andy

Thank you for the info! Just wondering did you cut and join an eBay one with their MAF holder or cut up a stock upper air box so all the vanes are in place?  Also how's the induction sound having it sat right behind the passenger?

Good choice on the Apexi filter  s:) :) s:)  I have the Apexi filter on my RB25 as well, can never go wrong with them.

Thanks!

Louis

AndyM

I actually salvaged a metal MAF adaptor from a PE turbo kit which was pretty much perfect for what I was doing. I had previously cut a stock box down though as that was what I was going to use, I think I'd rather use that than the eBay one.

The induction sound is good. You get a raspy/breathy noise on cold start that sound like it's sipping in air. Then when warmed up and giving it some beans you get a nice gargle from that side. I have a TTE exhaust on as well so you get the deep bass/burble from that too, nice combination.  s:) :) s:)

Andy
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

yiug412

That's sounds good! I think I will go via the modified air box route and steal the Apexi filter from my other car lol.

Thanks for the info Andy  s:) :) s:)

Louis

dkirkwood89

Quote from: "yiug412"That's sounds good! I think I will go via the modified air box route and steal the Apexi filter from my other car lol.

Thanks for the info Andy  s:) :) s:)

Louis

Def safer that way Louis, I got an ebay MAF adapter and it wasn't very good, caused me a few problems. I got a std airbox as well to cut up and use, although I havent got to that stage yet

Dale
2004 Red Edition, Hard Top, TRD Short Shifter, CBS CDA Induction Kit

Tags: