Roof slits above corner of drivers window

Started by Anonymous, May 29, 2003, 10:50

Anonymous

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this, my roof has a small row of slits on the corner of the drivers window, I noticed this when the car was about 18 months old, and pointed it out to the dealer at last Novembers service. It is definately getting worse, now having more slits.

Slits are about 0.5cm long and there are about 10-15 of them along a 10cm length above the corner of the drivers window - passenger side is absolutely unmarked, which is bizarre. See picture below:

I wonder if this is because I put the roof down year round, and when it is cold the roof is a lot less flexible, and this causes these splits.

I don't fancy the monkey boys at the local dealer changing a roof (if I could even get this agreed as a warranty claim, as they will probably claim fair wear and tear), but wonder if anyone else has done anything about a similar problem.

James.

Anonymous

Perhaps you could post a photo so we could get a better idea of where the problem is.

There can be a problem with older models where a sharp nut on one of the roof bars rubs against the fabric and can cause a slit but I'm not sure if that's what the problem here is.

If you car is still under warranty then Toyota should fix this as it is a design fault.  A convertable roof should last for years with normal wear and tear.  IIRC the manual says to not lower the roof when it's below 5 degrees C but you don't need to tell Toyota that you've ever done that.

--H--

Anonymous

Picture added to first message

Hope4Sun

Had a similar thing on my old MX5, the roof then started to split and it got worse,i had to replace the whole top in the end, Get them to sort it under warranty, caused by the material becoming brittle and dried out, a good soft top cleaner/feeder (Zymol, etc) can help to avoid this (but not for ever  s:( :( s:(  )

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

yeah use a conditioner which will make the material supple but will not make the cracks disspare but will stop them geting bigger!

You should use use a soft top cleaner and conditioner every time you wash the car as the cleaner gets right into the material and removes all the small particals of sand as it foams up and lifts all abrasive abjects. Then just rub in teh conidtioner will not only keep the soft top black for longer but will stop it cracking and prolong the life of teh materal.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Yeah it looks to me like it's just become worn by the lifting and lowering the roof.  This will happen if you drop the top often when it's cold or if you don't look after thr roof properly by using an appropriate cleaning product.

I'd still be after a warranty replacement though as Toyota don't know what level of care you do/don't give your roof.

--H--

Anonymous

I got that cleaner and conditioner that Kris recommended, and the roof actaully looks a great deal better now (ok so the car is only 6 months old), but it looks a nice "healthy" black as opposed to slightly gritty look under normal washes

Anonymous

I get my soft top cleaned and blackened once a year by my dealer. It doesnt cost much and if there is later a problem "due to maintenance" I can point out he maintained it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Hi all, my first post   s:) :) s:)  

I've got these cracks as well  s:( :( s:(  

So what brand of cleaner do you guys use?

darrenjuggins

Hi Guys / Girls,

I use Auto Gym Really effective....

As for cracks, not the same. When it's light I'll get a photo and post... hey guy's is it easier to post pcitures on this forum than the original ? can you let me know how ? I'm normally pretty good but hey!

I've already had MR T look at it and I think its all but agreed for a new roof, so I will wait until endish of warranty and then have it changed.

Mine is supper supple and it will be a shame to get rid of an other wise perfect roof.....

Cheer

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Just wanted to post a followup to this.

My front brake pads have run out, so I dropped the car into my local dealer Somerset County Cars Taunton for them to check these, and also asked if they could look at the hood, as they noted this last service and it has got worse. The original warranty is up in November (I have extended 2 more years), so I wanted to get this underway as I expected it would be a long battle, but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The dealer just phoned me to say Toyota have agreed to replace the hood under warranty, it will take some time to order it in, and as I expected they say it is a nightmare to fit, but they have full instructions and would plan to take a couple of days to do this, and will arrange to do this when it suites me.

They also agreed to replace all 4 brake disks under warranty (despite painting over the rust last service), so all I need to pay for are the new pads - which seems very fair to me.

Anyway, as I am appear to be the most cynical owner on the list (probably due to years of Peugeot ownership, and crappy dealers), I wanted to let everyone know that there are decent dealers out there, so that should give us all hope !

Obviously I am concerned that the new hood will be as well fitted as the original, but at least we are off to a good start !

Anonymous

Oh, i see what you mean now you have posted the picture... they look like cracks in the roof... will keep an eye on my roof for these now... Glad you got it all sorted.

Slacey

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"... they look like cracks in the roof... will keep an eye on my roof for these now...
I think the paranoia is creeping in again Kris!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I think the paranoia is creeping in again Kris!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

DONT.... (bites nails)...!!!   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I had hood replaced because it developed a split (Not cracks). I was recommended to use Bentleys in Warrington, which I did. Staff here are very curtious. Anyway the hood was replaced within a day but, I was not satisfied with the fitting. The fabric both sides of the rear window were very slack, additionally there does not sem to be any ajdustment, it either fits or it does'nt. So after a lot of complaining they replaced it again. This time fitting is ok. Again fitting was done within a day.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Just an update on this, I specifically asked the dealer if the new hood comes on a frame, and was told it did. It turns out it comes rolled up in a bag, and the dealer has to fit this to the existing frame, unsurprisingly this is very difficult to do tidily.

My dealer spent 3 days on their first attempt, hood was on and smooth, and didn't leak, but behind the side window the hood was about 25mm away from the plastic seal round the window, they had another go at improving this and couldn't really get it any better. I was expectnig a bit of an argument to get this resolved.

They then stunned me by offering to swap the entire roof with a new car, which they have now done, so I have a perfectly fitting new hood which I am very happy with.

I think the moral of this is that if you need your hood replacing make sure you either use a dealer who will bring in a hood expert to fit it correctly the first time, or make sure they have already done a few so have had some practice, as it is very tricky to do properly.

James.

Anonymous

i had a new roof and frame fitted about 2 weeks after collecting the car due to a fault with the frame putting holes in the roof.
the dealer only kept the car for a day and i have had no problems with it since.

Tem

After reading about the softtop in BGB, I'm not really surprised that dealers have problems fitting it...it looks complicated and probably is a lot worse...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: