Langka and chip repair

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2003, 09:49

Anonymous

Got my chip repair kit, and a bottle of Langka (wow it's expensive for such a small bottle).

However, the chip repair kit includes not just some red touchup paint, but also a bottle of clear coat.

So how do you guys work with this? It strikes me that if I repair the chip with the red and langka, I'll then make a mess if I use the clear coat, as the red will have been smooth, and the clear coat will stand out.

What are you all doing?

Anonymous

I didnt think you needed to use the lacquer on a solid colour like red? Im probably wrong!

Anonymous

That's sort of what I thought.  The last time I had a red car it didn't come with the laquer... this one does.  Puzzles me.

Anonymous

It might be a standard set as i got laquer with mine (but then mine is metalic)

Anonymous

just out interest then, how did you work with the langka and laquer?

Anyone non-metallic used the chip repair and langka?

Anonymous

ive thankfully not had to use it yet as ive not got any bad chips (touch wood).

Darth Paul

According to the Roadster parts list I got off the net, all colours have a clear coat. Not that you'd believe it.  s:? :? s:?  

I have Langka and black touch up paint from Mr T. I've never bothered with clear coat, as I wax it afterwards anyway.

The thing to remember with Langka is to use loads of paint. It matters not if the 'repair' looks a bugger. If, after the first coat the paint has sunk, then bung more on. Then use the Langka after it has dried.

DP

Tem

Quote from: "Darth Paul"According to the Roadster parts list I got off the net, all colours have a clear coat. Not that you'd believe it.  s:? :? s:?

Our red doesn't really have a clear coat...as I'm sure everyone knows by now. But the paint itself includes lacquer, according to a local Toyota painter. It just doesn't have a coat of lacquer, like some paints.

And some models have clear coat on the same red, that's why you get a bottle of lacquer, even if you buy the "red for MR2". Just ignore the bottle, you don't need to use it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

DP, Tem, thanks for the advice, if the weather cheers up a little, I'll give it a whirl.

Anonymous

Although, as others have said, you don't need the lacquer, on mine (metallic blue), I've mixed the paint and lacquer first, and then applied and Langka'd that.

I've found the best ratio to be about 60:40 paint/lacquer. That way, you still get some of the "shine" from the lacquer, and it looks too 'dark' if you don't use any at all.

zud

Quote from: "pmdye"Although, as others have said, you don't need the lacquer, on mine (metallic blue), I've mixed the paint and lacquer first, and then applied and Langka'd that.

I've found the best ratio to be about 60:40 paint/lacquer. That way, you still get some of the "shine" from the lacquer, and it looks too 'dark' if you don't use any at all.

Top Tip!!!  I'll remember that one, when I finally get round to some cjip repairs!
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Tags: