Obd2 readers not working!

Started by shnazzle, May 30, 2015, 16:50

insx

Quote from: "Jock"I bought Proscan ELM Bluetooth for Android Phones on fleabay £9.95.  Seller was nj_diagnostics who I'd use again.
Easy set-up with Torque app and its fine to leave plugged-in.
Only problem is I've no errors yet   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I might get this one too if the one in the post doesn't work. I doubt that it's a genuine ELM327 chip though, from what I've read on the web.

insx

I found this in a repair manual:

If communication is normal when the tool is connected to another vehicle, inspect the diagnosis
data link line (Bus (+) line) or ECU power circuit of the vehicle.

insx

Well, I now have 2 that look just like the 2 in the photo and neither one can talk to the ECU. I will probably get the white one now but I have a feeling I will be throwing away another tenner.

insx

White pro-scan one ordered, as used by Jock. The seller says I can send it back with a prepaid label if it doesn't work with the car   s:P :P s:P

insx

Yay, the white pro-scan dongle works! It turns out that I have a P1656 fault.

Anonymous

I just posted this info in the wrong thread I think! ......

I've managed to break my trusty old OBD dongle  s:( :( s:(  I left it plugged in and I kept kicking it getting in and out of the car...I took it apart but couldn't see anything wrong.

So I've ordered this one

m http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231553464641?_mwBanner=1 m  

Not sure if it will work but it's shorter (so I won't keep kicking it!)

I will report back

lamcote

I have one that looks exactly like that (just with a slightly different sticker on) and it seems to work fine and doesn't cause any flashing lights at all.

Points to consider about leaving it plugged in all the time are that it will drain the battery and could someone hack in or is it impossible to connect without the ignition on?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Anonymous

Quote from: "lamcote"I have one that looks exactly like that (just with a slightly different sticker on) and it seems to work fine and doesn't cause any flashing lights at all.

Points to consider about leaving it plugged in all the time are that it will drain the battery and could someone hack in or is it impossible to connect without the ignition on?

Do you use it with iphone or android?

regardless, thanks for the reply that's a good start!

lamcote

I use the Torque app on Android
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

Anonymous

Thanks  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Arrived quickly and works perfectly with no issues, connected straight to my phone and works with all my cars  s:D :D s:D

Swanseamr2

I have this plug in reader. It works great . Tells you the code and gives the description of the fault    m http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... ID=EBAY-GB m  Less than 12 quid too

ZeroQI

With my JDM 2003 sequential manual MR-S i can connect the ECU using In Torque the protocol "ISO 14230-4 (5b init, 10.4k baud)" in car profile bottom option and ELM327 custom configuration string:
ATIB 96 n ATIIA 13 n ATSH8213F0 n ATSP4 n 0100
It does allow all readings to work, I cannot however read fault codes, it tells me there is none, despite the engine light activated in the dash...
I even tried the mini vci cable that does work with techstream to no avail... Mini VCI and techstream it is then for japanese MR-S...
Toyota MR-S 2003 SMT 6-Speed Sable (matching hardtop, alloys) Red fabric Seats

Tags: