2 year old Castrol EDGE oil sold on Amazon

Started by js1mr2, June 1, 2015, 22:38

js1mr2

I ordered four 1 litre bottles of Castrol EDGE 5w-30 directly from Amazon and when they arrived noticed the date printed on the bottle is 5/6/13. Is this the date it was produced or the use by date??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdkscshzhi3mcr4/IMG_3386.JPG?dl=0

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-2056711 ... edge+5w-30 m

Eastsoutheast

I believe that is the manufacture date.

mrzwei

That would be a production date. There is no legal requirement for a use by date on oil, that only applies to high risk foods ie food that is easily contaminated with food poisoning bacteria. There is no way that a multi-national would go anywhere near risking that. (But if you want inside info then my daughter is busy dodging taxes for them in Luxembourg   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

js1mr2

Quote from: "mrzwei"That would be a production date. There is no legal requirement for a use by date on oil, that only applies to high risk foods ie food that is easily contaminated with food poisoning bacteria. There is no way that a multi-national would go anywhere near risking that. (But if you want inside info then my daughter is busy dodging taxes for them in Luxembourg   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

That's reassuring, so how long does oil normally keep for?

Joesson

A quick Google finds:
Exxon Mobil state that their Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil has a shelf life of 5 years!
Elsewhere I have read that mineral oil being hydrophobic has an indefinite life.

Do not confuse with brake fluid that is hygroscopic and an unsealed can will absorb moisture from the air in a few months, lowering the boiling point.

A can of oil can be a can of worms open or not!

Tags: