Fitting new discs and pads.

Started by Wilky1974, June 17, 2015, 07:42

Wilky1974

Hi folks,

I am new to MR2 ownership and have just got myself a 2004 ( 54 reg ) Roadster which is going to be my weekend toy.I absolutely love this car!!! Why did I wait so long to buy one!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  However I noticed the rear pads were worn quite badly so I ordered some replacements. Whilst changing them I also noticed that the rear disc was worn down to approximately 14.2 mm so I have ordered a set of discs too. My question is, can I change the pads and discs without disconnecting the handbrake cables? I have read quite a lot on the forum about issues with handbrake cable adjustment. The handbrake was working fine before I started ( MOT just passed with no advisories ) so I was hoping to just leave it alone!   s:D :D s:D  I wound back the pistons in the calipers using the correct tool and then would them forward a half turn so I could locate the pads. Does this affect the handbrake adjustement?

Any comments or advice are really welcome. I've only driven the car twice so the sooner I have it back on the road the better  s:D :D s:D

Cheers,

Paul.

phaeton

That 'should' have reset them correctly & all 'should' be okay, handbook says that when you're applying the handbrake to press the footbrake first.

shnazzle

I always leave the handbrake connected for the same reason; if it ain;'t broke. It's a bit more hassle to get the caliper off the slide pin...but worth it.
The only thing you have to do is make sure your handbrake is NOT engaged when you change the rear pads.

I'm guessing it's too late for this now  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Wilky1974

Quote from: "shnazzle"I always leave the handbrake connected for the same reason; if it ain;'t broke. It's a bit more hassle to get the caliper off the slide pin...but worth it.
The only thing you have to do is make sure your handbrake is NOT engaged when you change the rear pads.

I'm guessing it's too late for this now  s:) :) s:)
..... ha ha! Yep!!!! I followed the guide in the 'how to' section and it didn't mention leaving the handbrake off so I didn't! It did actually occur to me that the job would have been easier with it off but by that time it was too late!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Just hope I haven't broken anything as I want to get out and enjoy my new toy. Thanks for the response  s:D :D s:D .

Anonymous

You won't have broken anything, it's just the self adjusters need to be reset when fitting pads and it seems that with the handbrake still connected, this can't always be achieved.

shnazzle

You can however start over I believe. So if you take the caliper off, push the piston back with handbrake disengaged and top off brake fluid master cylinder, then get in do a few squeezes of the brake pedal, then your handbrake should be back to what it was.... I think.
...neutiquam erro.

Wilky1974

.... okay received and understood. Will give this a try as soon as my new discs turn up! Fingers crossed  s:D :D s:D .

Tags: