ZZ Engine

Started by Josh.Luke, June 19, 2015, 13:49

Josh.Luke

Hello all

Get ready for an extremely dump question, here it goes. I bought my first MR2 roadster in February and its a 2005 facelift model. I joined this message board around the same time and I pop on every now and again for a look. I used the locked thread regarding the pre cat removal and just to point out it was very informative and was a huge help. While the rocker cover was off I sprayed it a deep, metallic gun metal grey. Looks awesome :p

One of my good friends does track days with his MX5 and its something I am going to do soon, so I regally read build threads, track car threads etc and I always see people say 'Im going to get a ZZ engine' or 'Its better now with the zz engine'. People on here drop the term and everyone knows exactly what they are talking about. So my question, what is a ZZ engine? Does mine have one? If so why do people talk about it if its the standard engine? If not where is the engine from and why do people replace the standard engine? I also get the impression there're different types of ZZ engine?

Ive had a look in google but I found it more confusing, as Im really not sure what Im looking for. I DO understand though it probably is a totally dump thing to say but I just really want to know what the crack is with the MR2 engines.

Cheers
Josh

Mr X

Our engines are 1ZZ-fe, there are others like 2ZZ, 3ZZ all different variants etc Not sure if that's what they're talking about but the 1ZZ-FE is in the mk3 mr2 and quite a few other cars
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Anonymous

As said, all mr2 mk3 roadsters have the same 1zz-fe engine ( there are some small internal differences but for the sake of simplicity , all the same)

Some people chose to do an engine conversion, there is a 2zz-GE engine which is from the celica, Corolla, lotus Elise / exige.

There are other engines which include v6 etc, which all have their own individual identifier engine codes

Josh.Luke

Arrhhh I understand, thanks for the replies.

Thats why the celica engine seems to have more BHP when I thought they were the same engines! So when you talk about upgrades, does that make it same as the 2zz engine?

Anonymous

No the 2zz although it seems similar is quite different internally. There is a reasonable Wikipedia page on the Toyota zz range of engines

Josh.Luke

Cheers mate

Iv read your track car build thread! I should hopefully be off to Blyton next month so Ive watched you on boards   s:D :D s:D  

You have any tips? My car is totally standard at the moment and my thinking was my first time I want to keep it that way, then potentially make some changes every time I go back.

Anonymous

I think that's the best Plan, get a baseline and do things bit by bit.

Blyton is a good track, not much to hit  s:) :) s:)  

Have fun!

Tags: