3rd gear crunch - please help!

Started by mr2jor, July 10, 2015, 22:58

mr2jor

Hello, I have just joined the site as I have just purchased my first MR2.  Its a 2006/55 plate UK car.

Sadly, all is not well.  The car arrived by transporter just the other day.  As soon as I got it I noticed the tyres were all cracking.  Then, I noticed two dents in the drivers door.  

However, I was determined not to get angry.  The car was sold to me with only 16,000 miles and it was an elderly couple that owned it.  I bought it privately.

So, got in the car and started to drive off.  Immediately I noticed that the clutch pedal felt a little low.  I can not tell what is right and what is not as this is my first MR2.

Then as I was leaving the house, foot down on the clutch to go into third gear when the time came and then... crunch.  

Every single time, bar only two occasions out of 30 minutes city driving, the 3rd gear would crunch when engaging.  Second to third - crunch.  Fourth to third - crunch.

However, when the car is sitting with the engine off the gears seem to change effortlessly.

I am a mechanical novice and have no idea what I am up against.  I have read crunch problems on Mk2 models and read that some folks put MT-90 oil in etc etc but I have not found as yet anyone with this sort of problem on a Mk3.

I have just bought some MT-90 oil and the car is booked in with my local garage for next week.  

However, any help at all from the club would be appreciated.  One more thing.  I also noticed a sloshing of water from behind me when braking?

Many thanks

J.

mrzwei

Sounds like a clutch problem. You say the pedal feels low so either the clutch is badly worn or there is a hydraulic problem with the master or slave cylinder. Your garage should be able to sort that. Changing the oil, unless the box is empty now, won't do much.

Cracked tyres usually mean they are old, has it got an MOT?

The water issue is common, just search clearing the drains or something like that.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

mr2jor

Thank you for the reply.

I will have the garage give it a good going over but like you say, the master or slave cylinder does sound about right.  I just thought it unusual for the third gear to be having this problem considering the mileage.

Yes the Mot is still valid until September, and even though they advised on the tyres the last time I honestly don't know how they passed it still.  

It does appear to have sat outside for a time because the headlights have started to fade.  I imagine the drain areas have gotten blocked so will be checking into this as well.  Once I have it checked out and fixed I will report back with what went wrong.

Many thanks

cabbydave

Whats it like going into first or reverse?Have you tried pumping the clutch see if you can change the biting point? Third gear syncro is very weak on the mr2 and ive seen a few goon low mileage cars depending on how they had been driven

Mightyquin

Hi,

It sounds like the car has been standing for some time - how elderly were the owners?!

When I bought my MR2 I noticed a slight crunch on one gear change on the test drive. It didn't happen again so I assumed I'd changed gear before fully pressing the clutch or something. Of course the day after I collected the car it crunched again. Very slightly when going from 4th down to 3rd, it didn't seem to happen at other times and went away after a mile or so.

I took the forum advice and used MT90 spec oil (a Castrol equivalent) and it's been fine ever since, actually a lot better/smoother gearchange. So, try an oil change first as it won't do any harm either way, but crunching on all gears sounds like it could be more to do with adjustment of the clutch.

The water will be blocked drains, easy to fix.

Cracking in the side walls of the tyres won't be an MOT fail (unless very severe), but again a sign of the car standing. However, if the tyres aren't all the same type/brand you want to look at changing them asap anyway.

As for the dings, well unless you could inspect the car before buying you need to expect some minor marks. I seem to find more every time I wash mine!

CrazySX

I have a crunch in third on say the first 2 changes into 3rd in the morning when the car is cold.  Once all warmed up then i get no issues.

I am interested in this MT90 stuff, how much does the gearbox take?  is there a guide on changing it somewhere?

Joesson

Quote from: "CrazySX"I have a crunch in third on say the first 2 changes into 3rd in the morning when the car is cold.  Once all warmed up then i get no issues.

I am interested in this MT90 stuff, how much does the gearbox take?  is there a guide on changing it somewhere?

Have a read of Roymondo' s threads in this section, all will be revealed.

CrazySX

Quote from: "Joesson"
Quote from: "CrazySX"I have a crunch in third on say the first 2 changes into 3rd in the morning when the car is cold.  Once all warmed up then i get no issues.

Have a read of Roymondo' s threads in this section, all will be revealed.

Is it Roymundo?  i looked at his threads and nothing was revealed.  He just said he wanted to change the oil in his box.

I did however find another thread about changing the gbox oil for Redline MT90 and how great it is  s;) ;) s;)

Joesson

Roymondos: Mk 3 gear box bolt  thread: Last post = 1.8L
Fill from above via a tube and funnel or squeezy bottle.
The filler/ level indicator hole is in the front vertical face of the gear box.

CrazySX

Quote from: "Joesson"Roymondos: Mk 3 gear box bolt  thread: Last post = 1.8L
Fill from above via a tube and funnel or squeezy bottle.
The filler/ level indicator hole is in the front vertical face of the gear box.
Thanks bud. I got this info from the gearbox oil thread. Mine is supposed to take 2.1 L as it's a FL  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Just a quick update, i changed to MT90 about 2-3weeks back and the difference is phenomenal! No more 3rd gear crunch  s:) :) s:)

You should have seen the stuff that came out :O

Joesson

Pleased your pleased!

Mightyquin

Quote from: "CrazySX"Just a quick update, i changed to MT90 about 2-3weeks back and the difference is phenomenal! No more 3rd gear crunch  s:) :) s:)

You should have seen the stuff that came out :O

Hi,

It was the same issue with my car, 3rd gear and only for a short while from cold. I changed the oil to Castrol (MT90 spec) and it's been fine since. To be fair it was probably the first gear oil change since new so I'm guessing it's more to do with the oil deteriorating. The overall feel in all gears was better too   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

CrazySX

yep my thinking exactly, i think the stuff that was in there, was what was left of the stuff that went in at the factory when they built the car lol!

Tags: