Repairing Roadster vinyl roof

Started by wafers, July 21, 2015, 16:33

wafers

My Roadster roof has a small tear (about an inch long) above one of the frame bars. I've googled the issue and it seems that it's a common wear point, where rivets, on the support rail inside the roof, rub against the material and wear it from the inside out.
I don't want to get involved in replacing the roof at this point, so plan to repair it asap. Reading around the Internet, it seems the two main types of vinyl repair are cold repairs and hot repairs, usually using a hot air gun/iron to heat up a pressing tool.
I guess the hot repair is likely to cure better and blend in more effectively? I need a kit with decent vinyl patches as well.
An old post (from piston heads I think) recommended this company. I then went on to find their heat cure repair kit:
http://www.glasspolishshop.com/leather-vinyl-fabric-care/leather-and-vinyl-heat-cure-diy-repair-kit
I like the sound of it as it has a colour kit included, to colour the repair patch.

Has anyone actually used a decent repair kit, which both seals the roof properly, and looks as subtle as possible?
I know a bicycle repair patch will do the job in a basic way, but it looks pretty poor. Someone else mentioned Halfords roof repair kits, but internet reviews seem to suggest they're overpriced tat...
Any ideas or suggestions?

cabbydave

I have just purchased a product called Sugru will let you know how I go on its for my daughters car and shes a bit skint at the moment

wafers

Quote from: "cabbydave"I have just purchased a product called Sugru will let you know how I go on its for my daughters car and shes a bit skint at the moment
Sounds interesting. Let me know how you find it?

cabbydave

It took a bit of cleaning to make it stick but its done now should be dry now will report tomorrow as Vicky has gone out for the evening tonight. One thing she did remind me was I fixed her old hood with windscreen bond. I put tape on the outside then primed up the inside and made what looked like a puncture patch on the inside. When we inpected the hood on her crashed car that she still has up my drive it is still holing out well.

wafers

Quote from: "cabbydave"It took a bit of cleaning to make it stick but its done now should be dry now will report tomorrow as Vicky has gone out for the evening tonight. One thing she did remind me was I fixed her old hood with windscreen bond. I put tape on the outside then primed up the inside and made what looked like a puncture patch on the inside. When we inpected the hood on her crashed car that she still has up my drive it is still holing out well.

Any updates or photos?

cabbydave

Up to now its holding out not bad for a fiver for 5 packets on egay

CrazySX

I had a tear about 8mm long, i stuck some good quality RTV on it.  I stuck a patch on top and squidged a whole load in from the inside.  Worked a treat, and that was 4 months ago.  no signs of the tear coming back.

BahnStormer

Quote from: "cabbydave"I have just purchased a product called Sugru will let you know how I go on its for my daughters car and shes a bit skint at the moment

How long did that hold for in the end? Recommended?

eBay not the best place to get it any more... seems ~20% more there and slower delivery: looks like it is ~£6 for 3 or ~£10 for 8 on Amazon Prime (next day delivery).
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Essex2Visuvesi

I used this and 18 months on it still looks good
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291991158283 m

Used some of this on the inside to reinforce it
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262690386582 m

Tags: