My Black 2003 Turbo Build - CrazySX

Started by CrazySX, July 23, 2015, 10:59

shnazzle

That's how I ended up doing the most damage, rushing things  s:) :) s:)  haha. Fighting light sucks! this is why I want a double-garage with good lighting.
Alas...the new house has no garage at all. fail.
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

Quote from: "shnazzle"That's how I ended up doing the most damage, rushing things  s:) :) s:)  haha. Fighting light sucks! this is why I want a double-garage with good lighting.
Alas...the new house has no garage at all. fail.

Get a GAzebo as an interim! cheap and chirpy! else get a metal garage and assemble it in the back garden,  that's if you have access to the back by car.

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Not to hand sorry, there will be some in my build thread though.

It's nothing fancy, just some stainless steel bolts from eBay, I replaced loads of them when i tidied up the frunk area  s:) :) s:)

what M size are the bolts?  are they M6?

Anonymous

I think so, I'd have to check it was a while a go now!

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"I think so, I'd have to check it was a while a go now!

I want to order them today, they look like M6 but could be M5, its hard to measure the threaded side without a vernier caliper. would appreciate if you could check and let me know  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Ok, so today I first tried to drill out the snapped bolts. What I pain. One of the snapped bolts I managed to drill all the way through and now needs tapping. The other two... i drilled about half way then managed to snap the drill bit inside!!!!!  s:x :x s:x

CrazySX

So I gave up on that cus it was depressing me and I had reached the end of my tether!!!

I trial fitted the TS bumper and it was miles out on the lines. The two outer edges were too wide, and the shut line between the bonnet and bumper was too big.  Also the space under the lights was way to big.

Pics..
Sides..

The other side I hadn't taken a shot of before I trimmed it.

Shut line..

Gap between headlights..

CrazySX

Ok so lots of fettling later..

Shut line compared to factory bumper..

Just need to figure out how to get these bits a bit lower now..

And sort out all the mounting points underneath.  I think I maybe stuck with 2 bolts at the top  s:| :| s:|

vinp182

They are M6 bolts dude.... Screwfix sell a wide range of stainless bolts dude and they are as cheap as eBay so might be worth popping to your local branch.... I replaced a load of the ones on my mk2 and plan to do the same with the mk3 when I get started on it again properly   s:) :) s:)
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

CrazySX

Quote from: "vinp182"They are M6 bolts dude.... Screwfix sell a wide range of stainless bolts dude and they are as cheap as eBay so might be worth popping to your local branch.... I replaced a load of the ones on my mk2 and plan to do the same with the mk3 when I get started on it again properly   s:) :) s:)
Thanks Vin! You are a star!!! I was at screwfix yesterday. Didn't think doh! Will go today and see what they have. Use loads of penetrating fluid and go easy on the bolts or you will end up in the same  sshit shit sshit  as me  s:( :( s:(

vinp182

Quote from: "CrazySX"
Quote from: "vinp182"They are M6 bolts dude.... Screwfix sell a wide range of stainless bolts dude and they are as cheap as eBay so might be worth popping to your local branch.... I replaced a load of the ones on my mk2 and plan to do the same with the mk3 when I get started on it again properly   s:) :) s:)
Thanks Vin! You are a star!!! I was at screwfix yesterday. Didn't think doh! Will go today and see what they have. Use loads of penetrating fluid and go easy on the bolts or you will end up in the same **** as me  s:( :( s:(

My mk3 has been apart more times than I've had hot dinners   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   and its stored inside so hopefully I'll be good but it's good advice non the less   s:) :) s:)
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

shnazzle

That bumper looks warped in places. Or is it just the lighting? Especially front the front it looks like it's got bumps and lumps all over the place instead of a smooth flow
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

Quote from: "shnazzle"That bumper looks warped in places. Or is it just the lighting? Especially front the front it looks like it's got bumps and lumps all over the place instead of a smooth flow
It's not lumpy and bumpy, but it's not very well made to be honest.

The left edge on the shut line is a bit high. And the bottom left of the mouth is not as nice as the right

Left

Right

Bottom left

Bottom right

CrazySX

I dunno whether to get in touch with hzaltezza and express my concerns or lump it. I mean I didn't expect it to fit out of the box but I expected a better quality mould  s:x :x s:x

vinp182

Quote from: "CrazySX"I dunno whether to get in touch with hzaltezza and express my concerns or lump it. I mean I didn't expect it to fit out of the box but I expected a better quality mould  s:x :x s:x

I'd send an email dude if you aren't fully happy with it
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

CrazySX

Quote from: "vinp182"
Quote from: "CrazySX"I dunno whether to get in touch with hzaltezza and express my concerns or lump it. I mean I didn't expect it to fit out of the box but I expected a better quality mould  s:x :x s:x

I'd send an email dude if you aren't fully happy with it
I sent them a message on here. Let's see what happens.

Swan_Connery

Still looks good to me. To the untrained eye they wouldn't notice.

CrazySX

Thanks Swan. It just bothers me cus I know about it. Also HZ told me their bumpers were of superior quality. The quality of the finish is nice. But when you pay £220 quid for something you expect a bit more.

CrazySX

I can sort out the top edge, but the bottom bit is poor moulding. Not sure if I just got a bad one or if all are like that. Let's see what they come back with. Just means my plans are halted and it's a nice day for paint today.

Oh well gonna try do something with the studs. When I get fed up with that then I will pull out the headlights and split/paint black  s;) ;) s;)

CrazySX

Ok so yesterday I managed to drill out two of the top bolts and the bottom one too! Also tapped.

Then pulled out the headlights. The design is quite annoying  there is a plastic clip under the headlight. You have to pull the headlight quite hard to get it out after undoing the 2 bolts and 1 nut.

Anyway.. heated up the glue with a heat gun and slowly prised it apart. It was a bit daunting at first, especially with a screwdriver!

For the Second headlight I had a genius moment. Go steal a butter knife from the kitchen!!!! This did a much nicer job. However I don't think everyone is cut out for this. It's a horrible job really. The glue gets all gooey and goes everywhere. Also sticks to your skin like a b4stard!

Anyway.. pics..

Not entirely happy as the paint doesnt seem to have stuck in crevis. So gonna have to rub it back and then more primer.

CrazySX

Is it possible to get brand new lenses on their own?

CrazySX

ok i have decided, once the headlight lenses have been cleaned on the inside and the headlight is back together i am going to do this:

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM m

CrazySX

Ok so the black is on!!!

Not entirely happy. There are little bits of dust in the paint. Will have to do I suppose. But I don't want the bumper to come out the same. How do I avoid the dust? ??

Jrichards20

Use a proper spray room unfortunately  s:( :( s:(  outside will always be dusty
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

CrazySX

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Use a proper spray room unfortunately  s:( :( s:(  outside will always be dusty
I am in a gazebo tent thing lol! Was just wondering if I could buy some sort of dust extractor. I did have a crazy idea of getting two radiator fans on reverse sucking the air out of the gazebo. If they are good enough to cool a blazing hot engine then should be ok to suck out the dust? ?

Tags: