My Black 2003 Turbo Build - CrazySX

Started by CrazySX, July 23, 2015, 10:59

Anonymous

You will find its the spray that was in the air falling back, dry day outside the tent would actually be better

Jrichards20

It could just move dust round and make it worse. If you can somehow, don't think possible unless on concrete or similar, cover up all holes to outside and have a dust extractor may help a bit, but I can never see it being perfect in a gazebo outside  s:( :( s:( .

Depends how much ocd you have, I'm sure you can get it looking good and almost perfect to the naked eye.but if you want it spotless I don't think you have any options  s:( :( s:(
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

CrazySX

What about this. . I am tempted..  m http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 75&alt=web m

Could only help surely!

Worse case I will paint the Base,  flat it back then lacquer, then flat again once fully dry  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Buying all this equipment and paint I can't help thinking it would be cheaper to pay a Bodyshop to paint it? A local Bodyshop will do good cash prices

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Buying all this equipment and paint I can't help thinking it would be cheaper to pay a Bodyshop to paint it? A local Bodyshop will do good cash prices
Hahahahaha!  I was thinking the same. But I do have other stuff to paint too. For the Nissan.  And also wheels to touch up  s:) :) s:)

Plus doing it myself means I get to have a big grin on my face when all done!

Might ask a garage just to make myself feel worse/better :p

CrazySX

Ok so I bolted the covers back in place and have done away with the yellow covers  s;) ;) s;)

Now to clean up these p1ss stained pieces of plastic  s:( :( s:(

Polished the inside with renovo and look at the crap that came off.

Still yellow on the outside. Gonna have to go to extreme measures and sand a lacquer it once the headlight is back together.

I had an idea, but not sure. Was thinking of fitting yellow halos in the indicator hole. Yay or nay?

Anonymous

They look good mate well done

Swan_Connery

Every time I read your thread mate you give me more ideas for my car! Good job, lovin the black.   s:D :D s:D

CrazySX

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"Every time I read your thread mate you give me more ideas for my car! Good job, lovin the black.   s:D :D s:D

I am glad i can be of inspiration!

I saw the white Top Secret / JDL MR2 and wanted to recreate it in black, and i have always thought the eyes (headlights) on the MR2 have been a bit imposing!  The black does look really good! Gazbills did it before me and shared his progress when i was looking for inspiration  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54649 l

CrazySX

So i ordered these  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281555086314? ... EBIDX%3AIT m  with the intention of putting them in the indicator hole and doing away with the bulb.  Only thing is i will have to wait until Tuesday and the weather is going to turn to Sh1t on Monday so i don't want the car left with no headlights and the connectors hanging out in the rain.

What do i do, wait and fit them cus they look awesome?  or re-assemble and fit silver bulbs (which i have already ordered), because the halo indicators will look chavtastic?

CrazySX

Ok update time!!! So.. this wknd and during the week I have been further fettling the front bumper. I called HZ Altezza and they just said that all copy fibre glass bits are not perfect and that I should expect such imperfections. So no point F ING around. I will let the pics speak.

So i sanded down the proud edges and sorted the shut line  s;) ;) s;)

Also marked out the badge holes and drilled them.  The template was taken from the old bumper.

Then i had to deal with the bare fibreglass so on with some 2k filler primer and had to use stopper where sanding back the fibreglass introduced some pin holes between fibres.

By this time it was about 5.30pm, running out of light and the filler/stopper would not be hard enough to sand so left it as is and moved on to the lights  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

So the lights..

Yesterday i was caught up in a number of things to do (not car related) so only managed to fit the halo indicators during the day, with the orange indicator lens now gone i drilled a hole in the indicator recess so i could get the wire out. Had to cut the wires on the halo as there was a little circuit board attached

Then for some epoxy glue to hold the ring in:

What i learned here is that you should put the glue on the back of the ring, and not in the headlight :p anyway, ring is in:

I am glad we aren't getting our new kitchen until next year :p

I then had to make a trip to Kent to get these

and met Lee in Person, love his car, can't wait to get my turbo on!  Thanks Lee for the white knuckle ride  s:D :D s:D

I got back from Kent around 9pm and was a little tired from the drive, but needed to get the lights back together!!! so..

i then i polished the inside of the lights with some Renovo, i don't know if this was a good idea, but its done now, and some muck did come out so can't be bad!

Getting the lenses back on was a bit of a horrible job with a heat gun.  but managed to get it done, then gave the lights some silicone sealant to make sure they are 100% watertight, also sealed around the halo wires while there. I was not really happy with the finished product as the lenses looked cr4p.

Anonymous

Nice work. Have you got a pic of the finished light with the indicator in / on?

CrazySX

so.. not being able to progress with the bumper today (shame as it was a good day to paint  s:( :( s:(  )  I moved on the misty lenses on the headlights! Yellow and misty and scratched.
don't look bad at this angle:

but look now:

So on to operation headlight restoration (permafix!)

Sand down with 1000 grit and soapy water

Then 1500

Then 2500

I then had to do something about the mould and dirt in the inside bit of the edges:

so out came this:

Then i cleaned down the lights, let them dry for a while, then gave them a wipe with some panel wipe, then waited for them to dry again.  I had the heat gun on full power in the gazebo  s:D :D s:D

Then on with the 2k lacquer:

This is after 1 coat:

I gave it a further 4 coats or was it 3?? lol!

and this is the end product  s:D :D s:D

I can now see where i should have buffed out the renovo a little more, and also the brittle internal cracking can be seen.  Hard to take a pic so i used the flash and it did the trick  s;) ;) s;)

These light lenses are a bit poor if i am honest, i am sure the lenses on the Yaris were of better quality!!

Anyway, i am happy with the end result, you can't see the imperfections in normal light and the headlights look good overall, i can also rest in the fact that i know a) the lacquer is holding the lens together better and i won't have to buff it again in a couple of months!

The heat gun was left on in the gazebo for about 15mins after the last coat went on then i left them in there and they will be left for a while until the lacquer has cured!

Thats all for today folks!  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Nice work. Have you got a pic of the finished light with the indicator in / on?

Hey Mark,

I bench tested it with the lens as it was before, and it looked good! would have looked better if the lens as not frosted.  Will get some pics up once the headlights are fully cured and back on the car.

CrazySX

For the time being, here are some pics of the car when i first got it, so that we have a reference point for when the facelift is revealed  s;) ;) s;)

The rear won't change much, i think i will just get some spats for it, be good if i can get OEM plastic ones, but might just get FRP ones if it comes to it.

CrazySX

I wish i had massive garage and i didn't have to go to work, i really really want to get my bumper finished and get the sideskirts done too! I want to do them to the best of my ability. Not so you can see its a home job :p

I think next on my purchase list is going to be this:
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111777066208 m

Whilst i was browsing ebay, i just saw these!!!!  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-mr2-ro ... 6016.l4276 m  Can't believe someone is finally reproducing them! I wanted them so badly at one point, but for the £70 more, i am happy with the TS front bumper transforms the look!

Swan_Connery

Looking good mate. That gazeebo is doing the job, not sure it'll be up to our winters though!

I'm also tempted with those front spats, then maybe some for the rear?

CrazySX

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"Looking good mate. That gazeebo is doing the job, not sure it'll be up to our winters though!

I'm also tempted with those front spats, then maybe some for the rear?
Thanks bud. The gazebo came with 4 bags that you can strap to the posts and fill with something heavy. They actually fit two 2 litre bottles of pop exactly so might do this. Although if I get my stuff done then I think I will take it down as I don't want it ruined!

It's a great bit of kit, it's a pop up gazebo, so opens like a massive umbrella lol! Takes no time at all to put up.

As for the spats, I will definitely get the rears. The rear will need something once the skirts are on and the mudflaps are gone.

CrazySX

So today I rubbed down the bumper once more and gave it some stopper where I discovered some pin holes

CrazySX

While that was drying I thought I would reinstall/reassemble my headlights. 5min job right... WRONG!

The plan was to install HIDs and LED sidelight.

The sidelights were easy enough but u never know if they are the right way round lol!

Then I moved on to the HID installation, what a nightmare!

I thought I had it sussed.

Then I discovered this..

This has to sit on top of the bulb else it is loose in the hole!

CrazySX

The HID bulb had no chance as it has wires attached. So I had to resolve to this...

CrazySX

And then this..

Then filled with silicone  s:) :) s:)

I was happy with the overall result. But will now need to source some of those plastic fittings.

Next I had to sort out the wiring for the Halo indicators. So I got some 2.8mm spades and ground them down a little. Then crimped and heatshrink.

There is also a littlw circuit board attached to the halos so I did away with the plastic box and also got some heatshrink on them.

I also saw that the headlight connector on the HIDs was a bit unprotected to heatshrink on that too..

Headlight 1 all ready to rock

Bits passed off though as where the headlight was resting on a towel it has picked up an imprint of the towel!  s:o :o s:o

Also not very happy about the lenses. Will need to be be redone one day, but will do for now.

The second headlight was a lot easier to do as I knew what to do this time lol!

I then came to fitting to the car. Had to test everything out before bolting down and I managed to blow the sidelight fuse. Searched high and low for a fuse. Couldn't find it. Must have spent an hr f-in round and then finally it hit home. Tail lights and sidelights work on the same circuit!!! Tail light 2 fuse was out so I replaced it and wow! The SMD LED bulbs are amazing! HID looks fantastic too. And the Halo indicators...

Pics don't really do it justice to be honest.

Bloody long job! Glad it's done! Just need to mount everything nicely now and then bolt them in.

CrazySX

Ok so last night while lying in bed I was thinking.. if I had something long with a fluffy bit on the end, I could poke it through the bulb hole and buff out the bits I missed.

So today I went and bought a microfiber cloth and a extra long pencil and created this

Managed to get most of the haze out but couldn't get to some bits so created a flexible version  s;) ;) s;)

After lots of prodding and poking I ended up with a decent result!

Also took some pics in the daylight.

Sidelights:

HIDs

Moral of the story.. don't Polish ur lenses on one side when the other looks like crap lol!

StuC

Necessity is the mother of invention!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Nicely done.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: