My Black 2003 Turbo Build - CrazySX

Started by CrazySX, July 23, 2015, 10:59

CrazySX

Ok so a little update. I was at home on Wednesday so thought I would get the subby out and give it some hammerite.

This is what it looked like fully cured

And this is what it looks like after 1 coat.  Still need to give it some more, but 4 hrs between coats and it started raining at 5pm  s:( :( s:(

cptspaulding

Looks very similar to my own (lack of) skills with a paint brush & how my on recent x-member transplant turned out

The one & only time I ever did gloss work on a door, it looked like this. She's never let me near a paint brush in the house since. Result imho  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

CrazySX

Quote from: "cptspaulding"Looks very similar to my own (lack of) skills with a paint brush & how my on recent x-member transplant turned out

The one & only time I ever did gloss work on a door, it looked like this. She's never let me near a paint brush in the house since. Result imho  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Hahahaaha! i am not best pleased with the finish of the paint to be honest.  However its hard work trying to paint in all the nook and crannies, and over the welds, you keep getting drips to smooth out, and by then the paint is not as plyable and you get streaks! Maybe i should have used the spray on stuff.

To be honest however, i don't really care how pretty it looks, as long as it is clean and protected for a few years  s:) :) s:)   Oh and most importantly better than the one that is on there and gets through its MOT.

CrazySX

Update for today! One word subframe!

Learned a few lessons today, 3 bolts that hold the heats shield to the subframe that have never been mentioned in and of the guides. 2 at the top 12mm, can be undone from the top using a super long extension

And one hidden one that I discovered when the subframe came down!

The other thing: check your gearbox mount! Mine was a little worn. Luckily the subframe I bought had one with it. Not perfect but better than mine!

Another thing which was never mentioned is the 2 braces. Best to remove these all together

14mm bolts.

Support the gearbox with a jack once u undo the mount else it will never line up when putting back in

And one very valuable lesson.. there are 3 unused holes on top of the subframe. They are the same size as the thread for the 12mm heatshield bolts. When I undid the big bolts (attaching the subframe to the chassis) water seeped out!!! I suspect this is where it comes from and this is possibly the cause of the rust!

I plugged mine up

The clean ones are used. The others are left to allow water in!!!!

Anonymous

Great work that man! Did you get it finished and back together?

CrazySX

Final lesson is, used a strong pipe to give u leverage on the end of your rachet.

U must have balls of steel to do this at home on the floor!

It would have taken half the time on a ramp.

Anyway new subby is in and arms have been rubbed back and have a coat of hammerite on them. That's all for today folks!

Anonymous

Get a breaker bar, well worth the money

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Get a breaker bar, well worth the money
Tube on a rachet works better as u can extend as necessary. Working on the floor the breaker bar bottoms out. As we found on Sam's car on dong day  s:( :( s:(

Also u can keep going once u cracked it  s;) ;) s;)

CrazySX

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"Great work that man! Did you get it finished and back together?
Subframe is back in. Just cleaning up the arms. Will be back together today. But staying on axel stands as springs will be done next wknd  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Ok I just finished it, everything is all bolted back up with copper easy on the smooth bits of the bolts.

I am knackered today, every part of my body aches lol!

And from the top...

I wish I had a ramp so I could take Car of  all the corrosion under the car.

I got rid of some near the sill at the quarter panel. Nothing fancy just a wire wheel in a drill then some rust convertor. As I don't have any underseal I might just hammerite it :p

CrazySX

i might buy one of these next year! worthwhile investment i think  s:) :) s:)

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-POST-LIFT-C ... 4ae93f22d8 m

Need to get my flat pack garage first though something like this,
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rowlinson-Ape ... 4d24c97821 m

but not sure i would have the height for a ramp, may need to modify the garage :p

Not a bad setup for sub 2.5k

jonty

attach the garage to the lift, so they go up together.

Good job on getting it bolted back in, looks good  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Update time. Replaced the rear springs today and while there I renewed the shocks and fitted new drop links  s;) ;) s;)

I am so glad I changed the springs cus I found this....

And on the other side...

s:o :o s:o :o:o

CrazySX

So shocks before and after..

Top mounts before and after

And the whole thing before and after

CrazySX

Top tips..

If you want to undo the drop links successfully hammer your 5mm Allen key into the rear of the drop link ball joint, make sure it's well in there. Only the bottom one which connects to the ARB. Then 14mm spanned and get a rachet onto your Allen.

Do the other one when the shock is off the car.

I actually used a screw type ball joint separator to drive in the Allen as deep as it would go!

Second tip..

When undoing the top nut on the shock, slack it off while still in the car. Don't totally undo it, just crack it off.

I took the shock out and then had to try for ages with a self grip plier (mole grips for normal people) and they just slipped and slipped. Then I wedge a hammer handle between two of the studs and managed to crack it!?

CrazySX

Tomorrow onto the front  s:) :) s:)

CrazySX

Ok so today I attacked the fronts. I am sorry to say the shocks have had it! They won't be going back on the car.

One is just plain rotten

And the other looked a bit wet as well as rotten. Anything wrong with this pic?

So this is how it was left today  s:( :( s:(

Swan_Connery

Great build mate. Black is my fave colour of Mr2 aswell. I think I may have to add some carbon wrap to my apperance.

Also, I'm running a 3 inch custom all the way back off the downpipe, and I'm pretty sure it's too big but with a bit more boost I can see the need. I do get awesome flames and pops though!

CrazySX

Quote from: "Swan_Connery"Great build mate. Black is my fave colour of Mr2 aswell. I think I may have to add some carbon wrap to my apperance.

Also, I'm running a 3 inch custom all the way back off the downpipe, and I'm pretty sure it's too big but with a bit more boost I can see the need. I do get awesome flames and pops though!
Hey Swan,

I am in ore. I can't wait to turbo mine. Will use my TTE exhaust and just blow into it. May lose the cat though.  We shall see. I have a TS bumper, might attempt to wrap that black as I have nowhere to paint it. But can use the lounge to wrap while the mrs is out :p

Thanks for sending the shocks! Your a lifesaver.

CrazySX

So I got the shocks and decided to freshen them up.
Stripped them down, a coat of rust converter then paint.

CrazySX

Then I assembled them all up with new Tein S springs and fitted them. The next job on the list was discs and pads. But the dust Shields were really corroded and the calipers looked a but sorry for themselves so they got some derusted treatment too.

One side all done, just need to fit my new discs and yellow stuff pads

I didn't manage to finish the other side. Caliper and dust shield have rust convertor on them. Just need painting on saturday then full re-assembly

That's all for today  s;) ;) s;)

CrazySX

I was thinking of replacing or removing the Shields but it looks like they are sandwiched by the hub!!!!  s:mad: :mad: s:mad:

Swan_Connery

Looking good mate. Time and patience. Time and patience  s:D :D s:D

CrazySX

Update time...

Brakes all serviced and fitted up.

CrazySX

Car looks and handles a lot better on the new springs and sorted shocks

Tags: