My Woodsport V6 conversion.

Started by Topdownman, August 18, 2015, 21:43

Anonymous

Quote from: "s12vea"I was trying to view the yellow one but communication was great between me and the seller.
Stu you should be pleased the greenie is still in my ownership lol.

Could a v6 make my perfect roadster even better?!?!?!!

I think it might  s;) ;) s;)

s12vea

Quote from: "StuC"I did give you the ownership badge. Do I need to do another one now?  s;-) ;-) s;-)

I thought there was a silver one locally that you were going to look at?

I don't remember a silver one?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

s12vea

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"
Quote from: "s12vea"I was trying to view the yellow one but communication was great between me and the seller.
Stu you should be pleased the greenie is still in my ownership lol.

Could a v6 make my perfect roadster even better?!?!?!!

I think it might  s;) ;) s;)

Doh! Lol  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue

SuperArt

Allow me to show you the dark side Steve.  s:D :D s:D  

[youtube:2ln2ol57]0X9rra14Gzg[/youtube:2ln2ol57]

Do you want a roadster that sounds like a Countach? Yes you do.
Can you achieve this sound with your current Turbo car? No you can't.
Do you want to buy a 2GR and sell your turbo kit to SuperArt? Yes you do.

Don't worry about Patrick's dibs. He'll be on an all expenses paid trip to the Americas and won't be in the country to collect anyway. Don't tell him I'm sending him to Mexico though - he might not get on that plane!
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

s12vea

Now I wouldn't want to start a bidding war  s;) ;) s;)
TF204 Blue

shnazzle

What? I'm going to Mexico?
Aaayyaaayyaayyyyyyyy!
When do I leave? Sod your stupid turbo haha
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Just a quick update, progress has been slowed down by Pauls mechanic leaving for another job.

Exhaust position being confirmed before welding.

Hopefully only a couple of weeks now...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

s12vea

Exciting
TF204 Blue

Anonymous

Nice bit of fabrication there, looking good!

Jrichards20

Very nice! What colour scheme did you go for, is it a hint of red I see in there?  s:) :) s:)  Making me more excited about mine  s:) :) s:)  

We will have to do another South meet up for Christmas so we can hear this baby!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Topdownman

Haha, should get it back in time for winter!

The valve covers red, the plenum sable and throttle bodies matt black.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

StuC

Is the exhaust routing over the top of the gearbox for the front bank?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

vinp182

Quote from: "StuC"Is the exhaust routing over the top of the gearbox for the front bank?

Doubt it dude
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

StuC

Looks high in that picture and I couldn't see the y-section on the underside of the engine. That's what made me ask, as it looks unusual from that angle.

Jrichards20

Any update? Its been two weeks since?  s:) :) s:)  Also, can I ask, why did you decide to keep the LSD? I'm in two minds about it  s:( :( s:(
Street Triple 765 RS

Topdownman

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Any update? Its been two weeks since?  s:) :) s:)  Also, can I ask, why did you decide to keep the LSD? I'm in two minds about it  s:( :( s:(

Well, apparently it sounds gorgeous! Things continue to be delayed by Paul being on his own but I am hoping that he will give me a date soon.

Re the LSD, there were a few reasons why I went for it, I spoke to Nige about his old V6 and he reckoned the LSD was good to have even on the road and that he had had a couple of occasions where it helped him, I didnt want to limit its resale value in the future by not having one and finally, Mr T fitted one to a 1.8 so I thought they must have seen a need for it.

Its a tricky one as its a fair chunk of cash and you may never notice it but I thought at the end of the day I didnt want to regret not having one so best just to keep it!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Jrichards20

On the options for what is sounds like. What were you given? I.e note sound, decibel sound etc etc??

He needs to record a video so we can hear it. Shame about the delay, guess this is going to cause a further delay to mine. Especially if yours is taken almost 2 months to fit. And mine wont be going in for a couple of months I guess. How long after you had the engine delivered did you send the car up there?

Yeah I just don't know... I like the idea of being able to put the power down quicker out of the corner, but I also like the idea of having less of a chance of causing oversteer from flooring it out of a corner. Also pulling out from a junction with an LSD should be easier and safer. This isn't going to spend much time on the track, but will spend a lot of time "progressing" through my local twisties and hairpins. I've been told I wont miss it on the road, but I will miss it on the track. But when people think of the road are they regarding day to day driving, or a fast blast through the countryside... Wish there was a clear answer lol!
Street Triple 765 RS

Topdownman

The sound options were really a conversation about what I wanted and then it is up to Paul to interpret that! I asked for quiet (as I dont want the sound to stop me wanting to drive for long periods of time or wake up the neighbours) but I am expecting it to sound louder than standard.

Yes, my car has taken a lot longer than expected. I imagine replacing someone with experience of engine conversions is going to be a headache so can imagine it will push back the waiting list and conversion time if Paul is doing everything himself.

I would have thought that the coming out of junctions is probably where you would notice an LSD the most as you dont want to be in the middle of the road spinning your wheels!

However you look at it, the V6 is always going to be more likely to need the LSD than the 1zz. The cost of it will be forgotten as soon as you get the car back but the lack of an LSD could bug you and may stay with you if you decide you want one later. I didnt ask if one could be retro fitted so may be worth asking that question if you are still undecided but that would obviously be more cost and hassle as at the very least you would need to buy a new gearbox to get the LSD.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

s12vea

I'm sure it will be worth the wait, I can't wait to see the finished article. Not forgetting hearing the V6 loveliness
TF204 Blue

Anonymous

Josh, get the LSD, you'll regret it other wise.

cyclehead

Quote from: "Topdownman"...Re the LSD, there were a few reasons why I went for it, I spoke to Nige about his old V6 and he reckoned the LSD was good to have even on the road and that he had had a couple of occasions where it helped him, I didnt want to limit its resale value in the future by not having one and finally, Mr T fitted one to a 1.8 so I thought they must have seen a need for it...

Good decision on the LSD!  I had an open diff with my 2GR swap when I got it.  It would prematurely scrub the RH tire bald with street driving.  I installed an LSD (so I got to experience the car with both setups).  The car is much nicer with the LSD.  It accelerates much better in slow speed sharp turns.  Very satisfying to be able to gas it coming out of a sharp turn and the car will move, instead of squeal one tire.  I've not have any problems breaking tires loose - by mistake.
2002 SMT in Yellow
2001 2GR swap in Black

StuC

Quote from: "Topdownman"I would have thought that the coming out of junctions is probably where you would notice an LSD the most as you dont want to be in the middle of the road spinning your wheels!

Did you not have that issue with your 1zz? I know I do.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Topdownman

Quote from: "cyclehead"
Quote from: "Topdownman"...Re the LSD, there were a few reasons why I went for it, I spoke to Nige about his old V6 and he reckoned the LSD was good to have even on the road and that he had had a couple of occasions where it helped him, I didnt want to limit its resale value in the future by not having one and finally, Mr T fitted one to a 1.8 so I thought they must have seen a need for it...

Good decision on the LSD!  I had an open diff with my 2GR swap when I got it.  It would prematurely scrub the RH tire bald with street driving.  I installed an LSD (so I got to experience the car with both setups).  The car is much nicer with the LSD.  It accelerates much better in slow speed sharp turns.  Very satisfying to be able to gas it coming out of a sharp turn and the car will move, instead of squeal one tire.  I've not have any problems breaking tires loose - by mistake.

There you go Josh, the voice of experience......
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Topdownman

Quote from: "StuC"
Quote from: "Topdownman"I would have thought that the coming out of junctions is probably where you would notice an LSD the most as you dont want to be in the middle of the road spinning your wheels!

Did you not have that issue with your 1zz? I know I do.  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Hooligan!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Jrichards20

Who's lending me £550 then!?

Seriously, thanks a lot though, very helpful! Much appreciated!

Sorry to hijack your thread mate, you can have it back now  s:) :) s:)
Street Triple 765 RS

Tags: