Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

vinp182

Oh dear   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Personally I wouldn't take it to a Rogue or any other garage associated with the Mr2. Id wait for Paul's response and new mount, then get an independent engineers report (maybe vosa). For peace of mind more than anything
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

shnazzle

Quote from: "vinp182"Oh dear   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Personally I wouldn't take it to a Rogue or any other garage associated with the Mr2. Id wait for Paul's response and new mount, then get an independent engineers report (maybe vosa). For peace of mind more than anything

That's a very fine point actually.
Such traders have a vested interest in pointing out flaws, in order to showcase their skills or defame those of others. So an independent engineer would be a good idea. Whether Simon goes down that route is up to him.

The important thing is that these issues are rectified. Be it by Woodsport or someone else.
It's a smashing looking car with a hell of an engine and I for one want to see it on the road as healthy as possible so we can see a smile on Simon's face  s:D :D s:D
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Just to advise further Buyer/Seller feedback is the place to voice "opinions" on actual experience's members have had with either individuals or traders

There will be a lot of interest on how this particular build & resultant issues are addressed by Woodsport and members can then decide for themselves, should they wish to go down a V6 route, their preferred installer
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

loadswine

Simon, I was going to say how superb your car is looking, and it is!
 The failure of the torque mount is not good though, and I hope you get it sorted quickly. From memory, my torque mounts were Toyota items, from a Mk2, I think.
I really am sorry that you have had issues with the conversion, especially as my experience was largely positive, but mine was originally done 10 years ago, and I can only speak as I found then.
It would be helpful to our community to know how you get on, as it will be helpful for others in the future.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Topdownman

Thanks for all the interest and concerns!

The mount is now in the post.

Just to put this in perspective, I stopped at my local garage last week to show it to them and asked if it was an MOT fail and they said no, it would be an advisory as it is not a main engine mount. If the mount is a toyota one then presumably the other converters are using similar ones?

I have been unlucky with having some issues with the car, but so far Woodsport have been helpful in resolving them. When I had the issue with the fuse blowing, Paul spent half an hour on the phone advising the mechanic at the garage the AA had towed the car to advising what to check etc until they found the fault. As far as I know they are the cheapest firm doing the conversion and I havent seen anywhere else advertising a "turn-key" price like they do which I think they deserve credit for.

Paul e-mailed me this morning in response to the picture of the mount after being taken off and said that in 350 conversions they had never seen that happen. I suppose the test is really in how the matter is resolved so I will keep you posted.

I hope this doesnt put people off Woodsport because that would be unfair. I think my biggest problem has been that I am so far away from them as a lot of the issues could have been sorted much quicker if I could take the car back for them to look at. My advice would now be to find the converter nearest to you and go and have a long chat with them if you are thinking V6!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Well said Simon and I suspect Woodsport will have a good look at the mount to see what they can do
...neutiquam erro.

loadswine

My firewall torque mount was quite different, but mine was the first, to be fair, and a long time ago.

Jrichards20

Where is this mount? I cant find it haha   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Jrichards20

Is this the one connected to the crossmember?
Street Triple 765 RS

loadswine

I think its the one on the firewall Josh.

Jrichards20

The one on the firewall looks completely different to that one.

Mine is similar on the crossmember, this one is also connected to the gearbox, mine is showing no signs of stress or cracks.
Street Triple 765 RS

loadswine

I only thought it was the one that bolted to the firewall, as it had 3 bolt holes, but looking at it again, it could be the one that bolts onto the gearbox, on the crossmember side. I can't remember how many bolts that uses to fix to the box casing.
I need to do some revision. Lol

Topdownman

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Mine is similar on the crossmember, this one is also connected to the gearbox, mine is showing no signs of stress or cracks.

Yes, its the rear mount to the cross member on mine that is the problem. Glad to hear yours is fine!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Topdownman"
Quote from: "Jrichards20"Mine is similar on the crossmember, this one is also connected to the gearbox, mine is showing no signs of stress or cracks.

Yes, its the rear mount to the cross member on mine that is the problem. Glad to hear yours is fine!

I will be keeping an eye on it now though!! I had the same thing as yours on the drivers side mount where the ball joint part has a gap below and the rubber part is free to move.
Street Triple 765 RS

Topdownman

The re-inforced mount was delivered today.

Its a few hundred grams heavier now so hopefully will not have any issues. Just need the rain to stop so i can go outside to fit it.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

StuC

There are some very odd looking welds on there. Any chance of a couple of shots from other sides?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Jrichards20

Quote from: "StuC"There are some very odd looking welds on there. Any chance of a couple of shots from other sides?

I'm not sure some of the welding is as pretty as it could be. Or are you looking at something a bit more problematic?
Street Triple 765 RS

StuC

In places looks weird and unnecessary. It might just be the angle of the picture.

Topdownman

I suppose he didnt want any chance of future issues? It is not exactly pretty but then its not something that is on view.

When I tried to fit it on monday night I realised that it was too close to the exhaust at the bottom so had to cut a bit off to give more clearance. I was getting nowhere with a hacksaw so had to go and buy an angle grinder this morning. Luckily there is a screwfix a few minutes away so was back home with my new AG at 7.25am!

You can see the cuts at the bottom;

Hopefully the 2-3mm clearance will be ok, I am not sure how much the engine moves.

I just need to check everything is properly tight tomorrow then get a bit of paint on it.

MOT on thursday as it ran out today so no test drive until I take it for the MOT.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

StuC

What is that horizontal weld under the fixing (2nd picture) on the back for?
I can't see any features it relates to.

Topdownman

The weld across the back is the original break.

What he has done is put a new plate on the other side and the 2 solid square sections running up and down each side for extra strength. He would have had to plate the bush side of the bracket because otherwise it would not have lined up if the plate had been put on the engine side.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vinp182

Are you happy with it?
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Topdownman

I am no expert on welding/fabrication etc so just trust that they know what they are doing!

I have no reason to think this will not work but will keep an eye on it.

I am not bothered about the look of it as it wont be seen once fitted. Without the car there for them to check it was no doubt harder to do than if they could have checked it on the car.

I will be glad to just get the car back on the road but in all likelihood, I had been driving with the bracket fractured for some time and it only being held by the bolts on the edges of the split.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

vinp182

Happy days then if you are happy   s:) :) s:)
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2

Tags: