Quick fix for poor handbrake efficiency

Started by wilko59, August 29, 2015, 00:17

wilko59

I replaced one of the handbrake cables a couple of months ago and foolishly didn't do the other.  Guess what...yep should have done the other as its back to how it was.

Now rather than getting the car in the air, lowering the tank after taking all the plastics off again and trying to get that little rubber grommit to stay in the hole leading into the cabin, I'm thinking why not just slip the centre console up and out of the way and add a some washers to the end of the lug on the cable?  Does anyone think this would work ok or am I just being lazy?
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

Joesson

If fixing washers to the cabin end of the cable is a permanent fix I am surprised that it is not mentioned on here ( subject to contradiction of course).
It would be worth a try and if it needs fixing again in a month or two you will know it would have been better to replace both cables in the first place.
Please let us know what you do and how it lasts as your suggestion, if it works, could be a useful tip for many, myself included.

doodlepugg

You're just postponing the inevitable anyway. Have you re-set the pistons in the calipers? Wind them all the way in, then back out half a turn. Had to do that with mine for MOT.

wilko59

Not adjusted the calipers yet, I'm fitting discs and pads at the ends of the months so that's on the list.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at the cable tomorrow if the weathers ok.  Keep you posted.  I'm kicking myself for not doing them both at the same time.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

Tags: