Home-made induction kit fitted!

Started by 7slaterj, September 5, 2015, 20:25

7slaterj

Hi everyone,

thought I would share my homemade induction kit design. I fitted it today and it sounds great!

So started out with a 45' Silicone pipe which I bought from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171091796677?var=470275938682&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I went and grabbed the MAF sensor and began cutting a circular hole into the pipe as seen below;

[/img]

I fitted the MAF into the hole and used some cheap translucent sealant to secure it in.

The whole kit looks like this;

I took out the OEM airbox and all the related piping. Just fitted the MAF and pipe combo onto the throttle body, tightened up a pipe clamp to secure and then put the cone on the other end. I did have to unclip a couple of pipes to make room behind the battery but after some fiddling, finally fitted and sat secure.

Just waiting on some cold air pipes to feed from the side vent to the filter, and will probably make some sort of home made heat shield for it also.

The finished result;

Took it for a spin today and it was great, just as responsive as standard but sounded incredible! Really deep growl, so satisyfing.

Cost me around £60 for everything and was great fun fitting it. The standard intake kit also weighs lot! So lost some weight too    s:D :D s:D

markiii

Is the pipe the same size as standard?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

7slaterj

it was 70mm internal diameter I think, was snug over the throttle body when I fitted it.

L14HRE

Im doing the exact same this week, got the rammer filter sitting, just waiting on the silicon hose coming. Im going to butcher the standard airbox though to fit the mad

7slaterj

Just butcher the silicone pipe instead :p then you have the OEM intake still intact if you ever need to swap back

vx220

Quote from: "7slaterj"Just butcher the silicone pipe instead :p then you have the OEM intake still intact if you ever need to swap back

IIRC if you use the OEM intake it helps the airflow over the MAF?

7slaterj

But then you have the OEM intake  s:( :( s:(  which doesn't sound awesome :p

headcase

Just print one  then best of both worlds.

vx220

Quote from: "7slaterj"But then you have the OEM intake  s:( :( s:(  which doesn't sound awesome :p

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49042 l

Look at pics towards bottom of first page. Chop up OEM intake and remount using silicone tube behind battery, keeping MAF in its intended housing

L14HRE

Yeah you can get a replacement airboxes  off eBay for about £25

7slaterj

But the MAF housing is nothing but a tube? So it doesn't really matter each way. I found this method much easier than cutting up my OEM airbox  s:) :) s:)

vx220

Quote from: "7slaterj"But the MAF housing is nothing but a tube? So it doesn't really matter each way. I found this method much easier than cutting up my OEM airbox  s:) :) s:)

Apologies if that's the case, I thought it was contoured to guide the air through?

markiii

The vanes in the stock tube and its diameter are what the Ecu is tuned for

Change either and your fuelling is off, it's a bad idea

Change both and you might just get lucky to hit the right spec, but I wouldn't bet you engine on it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Mr X

Quote from: "markiii"The vanes in the stock tube and its diameter are what the Ecu is tuned for

Change either and your fuelling is off, it's a bad idea

Change both and you might just get lucky to hit the right spec, but I wouldn't bet you engine on it

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems people don't like to use the search function   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

L14HRE

So are you saying you should only use the stock setup? I have basically cut out the mad section out the airbox and attached one end to a silicon hose and the other to the cone filter

markiii

I'm saying whatever you use, needs to keep the relationship between the pipe diameter, air channeling (via the vanes) and maf that the Ecu expects

Or you risk your engine

Assess your risk accordingly

With the right pigggyback Ecu or standalone replacement and a good tune by someone who knows what they are doing you can adjust to almost any intake combination

If you just change stuff randomly the stock Ecu won't understand

Many properly thought out intakes from proper manufacturers address this, the maf tube for example on the apexi has their equivelant of vanes

If you butcher the stock airbox for its maf tube, you can make a diy intake that addresses this

Buy a cheap piece of Chinese tat off eBay, it won't

Bodging the maf into some silicone pipe with no thought to any of this won't, sure blind luck might mean your close enough,

Personally I prefer engineering to blind luck.

stargazer30

To add, on a NA engine without other mods you are not going to see any real BHP increase with an induction kit.  In slow traffic, probably the opposite as the heat builds around the exposed cone filter.   If you just want a bit more noise there's other ways to do that whilst keeping the intake mostly standard.  A decent panel filter and markiii pipe would be a good start.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Tags: