Facelift Rear Subframe

Started by Ian3360, September 9, 2015, 15:12

Ian3360

Does anyone know where to get a new rear subframe? Camskill were doing them but can't get them through Toyota Europe any more. I've tried Amayama in Oz and they can't get them either. Thought I would get one to put in the garage in case of problems in future.......
S10 TRD "Slow Turd" - Sable 2006 roadster. Red leather, Widermuller bling, Frenzy Stylebar, Piranha brake discs, HEL brakelines, Simon Tan style headlamp covers, TTE Exhaust, Ducktail Spoiler, Matts Brace, Cusco strut braces, ZunSport grilles, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Kriss\'s Kick panels, AppRadio 3 stereo, Nathans bushes, Crystal Black indicators, TRD Sportivo shocks and springs, full polybush replacement with Whiteline ARBs, [strike]Rota GT3 wheels with Yokohama S Drive tyres[/strike], Full Bodykit, [strike]AEM induction kit[/strike], C-One scoops.

[centre]CHECK OUT THE UK MR2 ROADSTER OWNERS GROUP ON FACEBOOK[/centre]

cabbydave

If it is the case that Toyota have stopped stocking them then that's the roadster doomed

cptspaulding

Hmmm. Reduced prices, then no stock. Sounds familiarly like what the manufacturers do when disposing of things taking up shelf space
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

lamcote

Does anyone know the part number?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

lamcote

If they are no longer available we need someone to design and build a nice light space frame to bolt in as a replacement to the standard sub frame. That would be an even better option than the standard part.

Jaworjawor I'm looking at you!

Edit: it could even be designed to accommodate a standard and unmodified 2zz exhaust manifold?

Mark A

My friend makes these but not for the Mr2, I could ask but they are not cheap, mine was close to £1k for a subframe and cradle

Mark

shnazzle

This is rather concerning... It does seem like the price of a subframe has just gone up a few hundred quid if they're out of stock  s:( :( s:(
Best start taking care of mine.

If you so find some Ian, let us know!
...neutiquam erro.

Eastsoutheast

Not good news. How much would it cost to have a subframe removed and then dipped in some sort of galvanising tank before being treated with some sort of anti rust treatment? This would be beyond me so I would have to pay a mechanic to do this.

I always thought that covering up rust or damp patches with copious amounts of underseal just led to the corrosion continuing out of sight.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Eastsoutheast"Not good news. How much would it cost to have a subframe removed and then dipped in some sort of galvanising tank before being treated with some sort of anti rust treatment? This would be beyond me so I would have to pay a mechanic to do this.

I always thought that covering up rust or damp patches with copious amounts of underseal just led to the corrosion continuing out of sight.

Providing no damage that needs repairing it wouldn't be an expensive Job

Bernie

I've sent this email to Toyota GB

I'll let you know what response I get

I am the chairman of the forum MR2 Roadster Owners Club - MR2ROC

I'm contacting you in regard to the availability of the rear cross member as some of our members are concerned that Toyota Europe may not now have any in stock and are concerned that the part has been discontinued and is out of production

Can you please investigate the situation and advise because many of the MR2 roadsters are now at an age where deterioration of the cross member is an increasing issue

Regards

Bernie Smith

Sent from my iPad
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Anonymous

I must have been one of the last to get the Camskill one, I could have got one from my local Toyota dealer at the same time but it was about £50.00 dearer.

The part number is on the invoice

CrazySX

Or u could buy one from a breaker and restore it like I did.  s:) :) s:)  to be honest they aren't very well protected or made from new. Get some cavity wax in yours if you want it to last and bung up the 3 u unnecessary holes.  See my build thread for more info.

cptspaulding

Quote from: "Eastsoutheast"How much would it cost to have a subframe removed and then dipped in some sort of galvanising tank before being treated with some sort of anti rust treatment? This would be beyond me so I would have to pay a mechanic to do this.
I can't imagine a mechanic will want your car taking up space on his lift for a week while you go about this.

Quote from: "CrazySX"Or u could buy one from a breaker and restore it
CrazySX 's suggestion is probably a better workaround - then your mechanic can get it all done in a day.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

shnazzle

Quote from: "cptspaulding"I can't imagine a mechanic will want your car taking up space on his lift for a week while you go about this.

Indeed. It would need to be a case of removing it at home wbt yourself or with help from forum peeps  s:) :) s:)   If this is a situation we're all going to find ourselves in, we need to work together!
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

I've sent in a request for a quote for acid dip, galvanization and optionally powdercoating. See what they come back with
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shnazzle"I've sent in a request for a quote for acid dip, galvanization and optionally powdercoating. See what they come back with

I took my new sub frame to a local galvanizing company and he checked the original finish was powder coated and would have charged me £10.00 to put it through with the stuff he was doing at the time which was a crappy brown, I wanted it in silver so paid £40.00, don't forget this was a brand new part and didn't need a great deal of preparation, before I fitted it I sealed up the gaps in the welded seams and used a couple of cans of Dintrol on the inside, all the plastic plugs were still usable but I left the two at the very bottom (See picture) off to let any water drain as this looked like the cause of the worst corrosion on mine.

shnazzle

That's not too bad then. Mine's in a good state but would still require a dip. I don't understand why it has to let any water in at all. If there's a way to seal it up completely I'd be keen on doing so
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

I doubt very much you would seal it enough to keep water out and would run the risk of making sealed up water traps, the plugs marked are a good low point to allow draining, I  intend  giving the inside a top up spray of Dintrol once a year as well, when it is dry of course    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

shnazzle

New subframe still available from Toyota for 310 quid
...neutiquam erro.

Bernie

Wonder if it's worth seeing if they give any discounts to Clubs like ours might have a go if they respond to my email !
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

shnazzle

Well I'm not asking my Toyota dealer for discount haha! New service manager is.. Special.
Got a cracking discounted deal for a full service kit.... 76 quid!... Right.
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

I always get discount from my local Toyota dealer

shnazzle

Well I did as well until this new big shot manager idiot came in. Last kit cost me 37 quid from the same dealer.
76 is including discount BTW...... Idiots.
...neutiquam erro.

Ian3360

£310 is a bit rich! Anyone contacting Toyota to see if we can get a discount for group buys?
S10 TRD "Slow Turd" - Sable 2006 roadster. Red leather, Widermuller bling, Frenzy Stylebar, Piranha brake discs, HEL brakelines, Simon Tan style headlamp covers, TTE Exhaust, Ducktail Spoiler, Matts Brace, Cusco strut braces, ZunSport grilles, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Kriss\'s Kick panels, AppRadio 3 stereo, Nathans bushes, Crystal Black indicators, TRD Sportivo shocks and springs, full polybush replacement with Whiteline ARBs, [strike]Rota GT3 wheels with Yokohama S Drive tyres[/strike], Full Bodykit, [strike]AEM induction kit[/strike], C-One scoops.

[centre]CHECK OUT THE UK MR2 ROADSTER OWNERS GROUP ON FACEBOOK[/centre]

lamcote

I just got 5l of fully synthetic Mobil 1, oil filter and air filter for £45 delivered from Opie!

Tags: