will i end up in a hedge?

Started by Anonymous, November 17, 2004, 14:22

Anonymous

Darren:

Whilst a Disco would have been better (if it hadn't broken down) the '2 was better than I expected.  The mid-engined handling is really good in the snow, but of course I could really have done with winter tyres, for about 3 days!

Andy

darrenjuggins

Tee, Hee....

Yeah must admit, I was dead impressed to get to work, some quite difficult roads and gradients, then to get stuck at the end of the drive way was pretty embarressing !!!

But as you say, if the roads are well gritted and you are steady it's not too bad.

Just ungritted estate roads which are nightmare ish !!! - If I really get stuff I ring my dad up who run's a local Landrover dealership, haven't quite convinced him to "lend" me a Vogue Range Rover over the xmas period yet, but I'll keep working on it  :-) :-) :-)

But couldn't beleive it was alread5 -4.5 this morning, very chilly!

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

LeeUK

The best thing to do is get together with a couple of other "2" owners and go on a 1st Lotus driving day at North Weald, it only costs £150 and is well worth the cost when you consider the heartbreak of ditching your "2"!  It is also great in the respect that you can hit the track and test your new found knowledge of how your car and you handle!

My only other advise is don't push the car in the wet, you'll find the limit and probably be fine, but when you hit that bit of diesel laying on top of the wet road you'll be buggered!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Its good to lack in confidence in the begining because it can get you into trouble, which i found out the hard way.
I had bags of confidence in both the car and my abilitites and I had a very good understanding of understear, overstear and what to do when it happens, in theory anyway.
One damp afternoon I had my ability tested when the back end went at about 50MPH.  I can tell you what I should have done and thats control the slide with the throtte but instead before I knew I was doing it I was on the brakes.  This sent me into a spin and down a banking  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  .

My point is all the knowledge and advice in the world will not help you without practice.

I took myself to an industrial estate and kept getting her sideways until i could do it without thinking, its saved me a couple of times since.

And the mention of Yoko's is true, they make drivig in the wet like being on glass.

I'd start practicing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "LeeUK"The best thing to do is get together with a couple of other "2" owners and go on a 1st Lotus driving day at North Weald, it only costs £150 and is well worth the cost when you consider the heartbreak of ditching your "2"!  It is also great in the respect that you can hit the track and test your new found knowledge of how your car and you handle!

And that's from a man of experience!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist!

LeeUK

Ho hum   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I thought you would have quoted me on this:

Quote from: "LeeUK"My only other advise is don't push the car in the wet, you'll find the limit and probably be fine, but when you hit that bit of diesel laying on top of the wet road you'll be buggered!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

Na, that one was too easy.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Quote from: "LeeUK"The best thing to do is get together with a couple of other "2" owners and go on a 1st Lotus driving day at North Weald, it only costs £150 and is well worth the cost when you consider the heartbreak of ditching your "2"!  It is also great in the respect that you can hit the track and test your new found knowledge of how your car and you handle!

I am desperate to try something like this. At present unless the road is straight or dry I drive a bit like a Granny. The Club had a North Weald day earlier which I just missed, any hopes of another?

If the club decides not I would be happy to join others in a "personal" visit.

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

LeeUK

Best bet is to do what I did, put a post in the events section and set a day up yourself with three other people.  It then comes to £150 each.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

roger

Quote from: "LeeUK"Best bet is to do what I did, put a post in the events section and set a day up yourself with three other people.  It then comes to £150 each.

Training day at North Weald.

Thanks Lee. I am organising this for next year. Getting dates etc as we speak.

Anybody want in? It appears we don't need 4, you can always make another group upto 4. However I think if we are all MR2 drivers the day would be much better for all of us.

If you are not sure have a look here    w www.1stlotus.com w  . Could even persuade somebody to give you a voucher for Chrissy.

roger
Roger

Anonymous

Im def up for that!  ill start saving, if i stop eating i should be able to aford it.

roger

I've got myself sorted. If any body interested in a North Weald training day see my post in "Events".

Roger
Roger

Anonymous

I just bought a used 01 Spyder and love it already. Today was my first driving in the rain and the car seemed stable on the highway at 75-80 mph. However after reading this I will back down. You guys refer to tire pressure but don't say what to use. What is the best pressure to use on stock size tires? Do you use winter tires like Blizzaks or stay with summer tires.

so.simple

Quote from: "TomSpyder"What is the best pressure to use on stock size tires?
I'd start with the factory recommended pressure and adjust it according to my personal experience... You'll find a sticker on the bottom of your glovebox: 26 psi Front and 32 psi Rear.

Welcome to the club, and... Congratulations for choosing the fastest color!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Carlos

roger

Quote from: "TomSpyder"What is the best pressure to use on stock size tires? Do you use winter tires like Blizzaks or stay with summer tires.

Its generally thought, and I can agree, get better front control dropping the front pressures by 1 or 2 lbs. Try, see what suits you best.

I reckon you should talk to Tem, or some of your more northerly countrymen on winter tyres. We tend not to change in the UK, well in England, any way.

roger
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "TomSpyder"Do you use winter tires like Blizzaks or stay with summer tires.
The summer tires are really bad in the snow. I've been running Nokian NRW's in the winter and they're great in the snow and not half bad on dry pavement. But they're no longer made.  The replacement is the WR series, and I'll be trying those out next winter.

Anonymous

Where do you get your snows?  So if you lower the front to say 24lbs and use 32 in the rear those pressures seem to work best for everyone. What does Tramlining mean? Will lowering springs hurt the ride? I would like to set up the Spyder for autocrossing but still drive it everyday. What seems to be the hot set up for autoctossing?

roger

Quote from: "TomSpyder"Where do you get your snows?  So if you lower the front to say 24lbs and use 32 in the rear those pressures seem to work best for everyone. What does Tramlining mean? Will lowering springs hurt the ride? I would like to set up the Spyder for autocrossing but still drive it everyday. What seems to be the hot set up for autoctossing?

1. Wales and Scotland, some parts of England. Usually not around long enough to change tyres or wheels.

2. Yes, but each to his own.

3. Car veers from required line into the "depressions" made on roads by HGVs.

4. Sorry no experience, guess harder.

5. Adjustable dampers?! By the way we do caber tossing in Scotland, but never heard of Autotossing - probably need a few muscles   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger
Roger

Anonymous

Typo, it should have read autocrossing. However I always heaqrd that Scots could toss anything. Is there a website like this in the USA?

roger

Quote from: "TomSpyder"Typo, it should have read autocrossing. However I always heaqrd that Scots could toss anything. Is there a website like this in the USA?

Its called "friendly banter", sometimes doesn't quite come off in the written word. What I've seen of US sites everybody seems very much more IN YER FACE. Us Brits (well most of us) take a bit of a calmer attitude.   s8) 8) s8)  

roger
Roger

so.simple

Quote from: "TomSpyder"Is there a website like this in the USA?
Try http://www.spyderchat.com though, as roger says, it's not as calm and organized.
Carlos

Tem

Quote from: "so.simple"
Quote from: "TomSpyder"Is there a website like this in the USA?
Try http://www.spyderchat.com though, as roger says, it's not as calm and organized.

There's a more civilized site as well  s;) ;) s;)
 m http://socalspyders.com/ m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

While not "like this," http://www.spydermagazine.com/ is another useful site. And congrats on getting a good car. Taking mine out tomorrow for a 200-mile run and looking forward to it.

Anonymous

You are so right, I like the calm way better. Can I order parts like exhaust or springs from the UK or would it be cheaper to order them in the US? Also is there a difference in US versus UK models? I like the dual exhaust I've seen here but don't know where to go to order it. Sure do appreciate your putting up with my newness.........Tom

Anonymous

Expect to come off a roundabout backwards AT LEAST ONCE. If you are unlucky it will cost you money. particularly on damp roads  s:( :( s:(  
Expect to hit ice AT LEAST ONCE   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   If you are going at 5 mph the damage may not cost you £££. If your doing 40mph  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

With these two things in mind and after a bit of experience you will have a great time!

PS i came off a roundabout backwards twice, onece on two wheels (almost flipped  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ), i spun a 380 at 2-3 mph in ice too!! luclke no damage either time!

Tags: