In Phase Usw10 Underdash mounting...

Started by vx220, September 10, 2015, 14:14

vx220

I know a few of you guys have the Usw10 under your dash, and a few of you have the JL/UD box up there, as an alternative (no reason, I just like to have an alternative!) do you think of these would fit up there?

Links to follow...

Title edit!

vx220

...or this
 m http://www.amazon.com/Clarion-Electroni ... B00B43LKEM m

All are a bit narrower than the Usw10, but an inch or so longer.

Just opens my market when trawling and researching! Any other options that have been fitted, or wouldn't fit, let me know?

Thanks in advance...

shnazzle

Should fit
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Work allowing (I keep saying that, but as I never know when work is going to be available I can't turn it down!) I will be under the dash next week with carefully measured cereal packets, making sure the fit!

Awaiting curious looks from the neighbours...

shnazzle

Do yourself a favour and remove the seat and the plastics under the wheel... Unless you have anger management sessions pre-scheduled.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Do yourself a favour and remove the seat and the plastics under the wheel... Unless you have anger management sessions pre-scheduled.

Cheers

Actually, a benefit of my job is easy access to plenty of therapy! So if I get too stressed I know who to call to help me calm down!

Also found a Focal with a built-in amp for the door components, but it's quite a bit bigger (340 x 220) but could kill two birds with one stone!

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Focal-iBus-2-1- ... B009OFE9ZY m

shnazzle

Haha. Pushing your luck there! Cubby hole job that is, or make a passenger footstand and hide it under there.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Thought so.

Did you find your Usw10 sounded better behind the seat or under the dash?

I have managed to scrape ten minutes to have a look behind there this evening, looks like plenty of places to bolt to. I like the idea of the kenwood and Pioneer having oval woofers, for a bit more surface area? Although the in phase and the clarion have cones instead of flat woofers, so maybe not too much difference. The kenwood/Pioneer and Clarion have crossover and phase controls on the remote, as well as the gain, that may make setting up easier.

I have £300 max to buy the woofer, a set of components and some sound deadening, maybe squeeze in a small two-channel amp for the front as well...

shnazzle

The usw10 sounded much better under dash. What I did was wire it in, put it in the cubby hole and tried it. Then put behind the passenger seat and tried it. Then roped it under the dash.
Clear winner was under dash. Clear loser to me was in the cubby hole. It sounded muffled, dead and like all the bass was coming from my rear left.

Ran it bhind the passenger seat for a while until I could be arsed to move it. Sounded quite decent actually.

But in the end, it was well worth the tons of time, screaming, back pain and funny looks at me lying upside down (literally) under the steering wheel.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Clear winner was under dash.

But in the end, it was well worth the tons of time, screaming, back pain and funny looks at me lying upside down (literally) under the steering wheel.

Thanks for your help, that's made at least one decision for me (I won't be making a sub box!)

So now, which sub, which components and whether to have an amp as well...  Thanks again

vx220

Quote from: "vx220"Awaiting curious looks from the neighbours...

OK,  half a day off today, pulled the shin panel off and had a dig around

Neighbours already think I'm "odd", but now they have seen me struggling and cursing to squeeze a carefully measured (and modified!) Special K box (to represent the Pioneer) under my dashboard they are 100% sure!

The looks I received were nothing compared to the ones they shot me when they watched me attempting to "install" a deep frying pan! (carefully measured to impersonate the In Phase jobbing...)

There is a red box under there, a couple of inches across, next to the throttle pedal? OK to move this somewhere else? I saw from the UD box thread it is moved during the install and bolted to the UD box? Can I move it over, maybe lay it down?

Same question for a similarly sized black box nearer the drivers right knee (iirc), ok to move it/angle it?

Cheers!

vx220

The red one is the BCM and sits at an angle anyway, so I assume I'm OK to jiggle it around?

The black one (nearer the driver compared to the red one) looks suspiciously upright! So unsure if I can move this one (only need to move it over to the right, gives a bit more wriggle room)

Thanks again

shnazzle

Haha lots of giggles  s:) :) s:)  I didn't bother trial fitting anything. Gung ho!

No idea about the boxes, I didn't move anything while I was submerged under the steering wheel.

Mind... My solution involves a bath sponge... It stops vibrations!
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

vx220

It looks like you have it further forward than I imagined. Will have more time tomorrow to look again...

Thanks again for your help

shnazzle

As you can tell, it actually needs to be lifted about 1/2 an inch on the sponge side, or moved upwards towards the driver to avoid the scuffing when I wear my clown work shoes.
Doesn't happen with any other pair of shoes
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

30sqft of sound deadening waiting for me, so now my wife is looking strangely at me as well...

shnazzle

Nothing new there right?
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Quote from: "shnazzle"Nothing new there right?

Harsh but fair!

Still struggling to find time (got under there this morning, then another call from work!)

Fairly sure I can get the Pioneer in, think I'm going to order it tonight. I will probably have to move the black box sideways a little, but not changing its angle, and I'll look at folding the BCMs bracket a little flatter to be 100% sure.

Anyone wanna say "DON'T DO IT!" before I do?

shnazzle

I can only recommend going  for it. Just make 100% sure you have the clearance you need to drive, and do it using the biggest shoes you're likely to wear (no joke).
As you could tell from the scuffs on mine, I have the far end a fraction (1/2 inch) too low.
Also ensure that it is very stable and secure. You do NOT want a sub coming down onto your pedals while driving.

As for the sound, I had the MR2 out this morning and had the music loud and can assure you that the bass is great from that location.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Cheers

To encourage more strange looks I am going to wear my old Sparco karting gloves when I deaden the doors!

shnazzle

Quote from: "vx220"Cheers

To encourage more strange looks I am going to wear my old Search karting gloves when I deaden the doors!

search karting? Is that where you search for the kart to "go" on?

Good luck! It's a pig of a job with the access being so crap. I have to admit there was a moment where I was 2 seconds from removing the steering wheel. But it's been in there now for over a year I think. Steady as a rock.
...neutiquam erro.

vx220

Corrected "search" for Sparco!

Got to work and been told I'm needed tomorrow as well, so next week now

shnazzle

Quote from: "vx220"Corrected "search" for Sparco!

Got to work and been told I'm needed tomorrow as well, so next week now

Employment is such a drag. Until you realise they pay for your car.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: