Will this fit my 1999 MRS roadster?

Started by HFB, September 13, 2015, 11:47

HFB

I have an MOT advisory on OSR shock absorber slight misting.

Down the line will be thinking of upgrading the suspension system, but just want to have a play on track (9th Nov booked) with basic system first.

Have seen this

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-RO ... 3f390281d0 m

and for £35 seems like an easier option than just a piston and having to remove/replace spring (think I might kill myself if try to use one of those spring tension clamp things   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ).

So this should (ahem) be a bolt on/bolt off item to buy me some time before doing a full system/or springs replacement down the line.

But will it fit my 1999 MRS import?

Advice would be welcome.

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

lamcote

Probably not, it is likely to be from a face-lift car so the spring will be longer than the one on your nearside rear wheel and will result in very odd, probably dangerous handling. So you would need to swap the springs anyway.

Other than that it would fit OK with the right spring.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

HFB

Quote from: "lamcote"Probably not, it is likely to be from a face-lift car so the spring will be longer than the one on your nearside rear wheel and will result in very odd, probably dangerous handling.

Bah!   s:( :( s:(  

Thanks for the pointer.
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

HFB

What are your opinions on these one then?

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371069637859? ... EBIDX%3AIT m

If they are a pair, then that should work shouldn't it........and they're from an 01 PFL model.

93K shocks......are they worth the risk?

HFB
2000 Roadster

lamcote

They should be fully compatible, but very high mileage! Presumably if yours are a worry for the MOT but these would pass OK they might be worth a punt but buying some brand new KYBs isn't hugely expensive and would make a massive difference to the ride/handling.

I was worried about using spring compressors but I got some and have used them on some spare units I have, as long as you are reasonably careful they are pretty easy to use and seem very effective. Not too much to worry about really. Well worth thinking about.

HFB

Decided to go for these.......unless someone advises me different!

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261995867868? ... EBIDX%3AIT m

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-19 ... 2049676681 m

Will deliver both for £8, and comes with a 2 month warranty on them, so plenty of time for me to tinker and fit them hopefully.

They can't verify mileage, but look OK to me and at least if I take a pair, they should match each other for ride height, feel etc.

May then get brave and buy a set of springs all round as my next task.

HFB
2000 Roadster

lamcote

If they are from a facelift car you will look like a dragster with the rear ride height 1 inch higher than the front!

Having said that, the coils look do like they are pfl, but can't be absolutely certain of course.

HFB

OK.....decided to hold off for now then.

Trouble with buying a car for the track is I want to do everything NOW when I haven't even taken it round the circuit to see how it handles in its current state.

So..........as painfully frustrating as it will be to refrain, I am doing nothing else (after getting the front brakes and disks swapped out, braided hoses and 5.1 fluid) until after November.

Shocks, rear brakes and tyres will have to wait for now.

Unless of course the Matt brace is finished and sent out to me before then!!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

HFB (sitting on his hands now!)
2000 Roadster

Tags: