Wider brake pedal?

Started by jeffsimply, September 18, 2015, 23:36

jeffsimply

Hi guys,

Picked up a Sable grey Roadster last weekend. Enjoying it so far even if it's a little slower than I'd like. Although I'll probably have a tinker here and there and spend a bit of money chasing ponies...

ANYWAY.

I've noticed heal and toe is quite awkward for me and I'm barely 6'. My left leg hits the steering wheel before I can cover the brake and throttle at the same time. Was thinking that if I could find (or have made) a brake pedal that was a bit wider, then it would make things a bit more do-able.

Do you know of anyone that's already done this and whether they sell them?

mrtoo

You should probably try using your right leg.....!

But seriously, pedal covers are available which will fasten to the brake pedal to achieve what you want. I understand that you should keep the edge of the brake pedal at least 50mm away from the accelerator or it might fail the MOT.

shnazzle

I'm 6.1 and have no issues. How's you're seating position? I need to put the seat all the way back and then I put the seat back up a bit.
Although I admit it's more of a side-of-foot/toe motion. Luckily the throttle is very sensitive and responsive.
...neutiquam erro.

MilesH

It sounds like you need to space your steering wheel out slightly to allow your leg to swing properly.

You could also pivot the throttle pedal to bring it slightly closer to the brake. From memory it is circa 90mm between the throttle and brake, I spaced it to 55mm and cut the edge off the pedal (there is a portion at the bottom that sticks out further). For me it makes heal and toe a lot easier!

lamcote

That's interesting does the throttle pedal have some adjustment mechanism to change its position?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

MilesH

No, just undo the two bolts and either re-drill or cut a slot in the bottom bolt and it allows you to pivot it. Reinforce as required if you see fit.

jeffsimply

Quote from: "MilesH"It sounds like you need to space your steering wheel out slightly to allow your leg to swing properly.

You could also pivot the throttle pedal to bring it slightly closer to the brake. From memory it is circa 90mm between the throttle and brake, I spaced it to 55mm and cut the edge off the pedal (there is a portion at the bottom that sticks out further). For me it makes heal and toe a lot easier!

Yes a spacer on the wheel (or smaller wheel) would work too.

jeffsimply

Quote from: "mrtoo"You should probably try using your right leg.....!

But seriously, pedal covers are available which will fasten to the brake pedal to achieve what you want. I understand that you should keep the edge of the brake pedal at least 50mm away from the accelerator or it might fail the MOT.

Thanks for point about MOT. Obviouslu for safety reasons I wouldn't want them *too* close together anyway, but feel like if the brake pedal extended a bit more toward the throttle I would be ok confort wise.

jeffsimply

Quote from: "shnazzle"I'm 6.1 and have no issues. How's you're seating position? I need to put the seat all the way back and then I put the seat back up a bit.
Although I admit it's more of a side-of-foot/toe motion. Luckily the throttle is very sensitive and responsive.

My seating position is appropriate, my knee just collides with the wheel is the problem.

jonty

Interesting that you have this issue. How do you pivot your foot? I have the ball of my big toe on brake pedal, and rotate my foot out and over to nudge the throttle with my little toe, heel probably at 20-30degrees outwards. I find this car very easy to heel and toe, but at my work our driving instructor does it the opposite way with his heel coming inboard and nudging the throttle with his big toe, brake pedal is further towards the heel than my technique... I'd be interested to know which technique you use (or if it's different to both of us)

jeffsimply

Quote from: "jonty"Interesting that you have this issue. How do you pivot your foot? I have the ball of my big toe on brake pedal, and rotate my foot out and over to nudge the throttle with my little toe, heel probably at 20-30degrees outwards. I find this car very easy to heel and toe, but at my work our driving instructor does it the opposite way with his heel coming inboard and nudging the throttle with his big toe, brake pedal is further towards the heel than my technique... I'd be interested to know which technique you use (or if it's different to both of us)

Sounds pretty much as you describe your technique jonty! It's driveable. But it has only been a distraction so far.

ChrisGB

A lot of it depend on how long your legs are. I've found I cannot get my knee turned in enough to get my heel over the accelerator pedal while braking, due to clearance issues with the steering wheel.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

jeffsimply

Quote from: "ChrisGB"A lot of it depend on how long your legs are. I've found I cannot get my knee turned in enough to get my heel over the accelerator pedal while breaking, due to clearance issues with the steering wheel.
Exactly my problem mate.

Seems like maybe there would be a few people that could benefit from a pedal that extends a little further toward the accelerator pedal to allow for easier pedal work. I'll post back if I get anywhere with it!

Tags: