250 miles to a full tank?!?

Started by BeardedGremlin, September 21, 2015, 17:28

BeardedGremlin

Surely I have a problem here; filled up with petrol on thursday - tank is empty after 250 miles. I've not been thrashing it, if anything I've been more conservative but then again I do have this idling issue... surely that can't be the reason for such poor performance??

Any help appreciated

CrazySX

I get 240.. mix of thrash and sensible. I drove it sensible for one tank and I got 270. They aren't as economical as ok paper.  Especially if you like the sound of vvti   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

stargazer30

The MR2 has a small tank.  I usually pay about £45 to fill it up and get about 260miles to a tank.  That's mostly short/urban journeys though and it does get a good rpm exercise occasionally too   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

Assuming yours are not all motorways miles you're not a million miles off.  If you still think its low, try the obvious stuff, MAF clean, new air filter, tank of v-power...
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

StuC

I get about 290-300 out of mine. I'd be checking for all of the above and also getting an OBD2 hooked up to check for codes.
Just out of interest, does your engine warning light come on and go off during the ignition sequence?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

BeardedGremlin

Ahh ok, just coming from a 1.8 petrol Almera that did close to 400 on a full tank; was a bit of a shock! But if it is normal then I'll stop worrying

Yeah the eml light comes on with ignition then goes off when started, one of the first things I checked! I've got an obd 2 bluetooth reader which I tried last night and after plugging it in and getting a flashing abs sensor did some searching, so tonight I will remove the two pins so it can connect and will see some live stats from the ecu, might give me a better indication of exactly how bad my idling is.

Cheers for the responses

shnazzle

250 means you're driving it like it's meant to  s:) :) s:)   enjoy it
...neutiquam erro.

Anonymous

Unless you run the tank to bone dry each time you won't get a true reading when filling up, you could have a couple of liters more or less each time as the fuel gauges are never that accurate, especially when nearing empty, this could make a 20 to 30 mile difference in how much you get to a "tank full" of fuel.
I always zero my trip, fill up to the brim and do the same at the next fill up, this would be a more accurate measurement, it's how I use the "Fuely" site   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  CLICK HERE

stargazer30

Quote from: "BeardedGremlin"Ahh ok, just coming from a 1.8 petrol Almera that did close to 400 on a full tank; was a bit of a shock! But if it is normal then I'll stop worrying

Well the Almera has a 60L tank, your MR2 is only 48L so you are comparing apples with pears a bit   s:P :P s:P
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

onion86

Did 312 the other day and red light hadn't even come on, only 38.3 MPG still though.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

ptennisnet

I get approx. 80 miles to the first quarter line, 190-200 miles to the halfway mark and then 320ish when the light comes on.  I do 330 miles a week and so get to watch my gauge a lot.  It's mainly B roads, driven relatively quickly - the MR2 is the ideal car for me.

neil c

I get around 290 from a full tank if doing the daily commute. On a run with mixture of B roads and motorway up to 360 if I dawdle

BeardedGremlin

I think I am on the low side then, but I do think it's due to my car idling high and having a starting issue where I have to keep my foot on the accelerator to stop it cutting out.

shnazzle

My mileage was lower than that when I first got my pre-fl. I think the biggest culprit was the spark plugs. They were a right mess.
I can't advocate a good service enough, it's like night and day.
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

290??? 320?? They are dream figures for me. But when I got 270 that was including motorway driving. 240 is around town only. 10mile commute in  sshit shit sshit ty traffic

Anonymous

Im sure we got about 400 once in France cruising down the autoroute ... Maybe I'm wrong but I'm sure it was 400!

stargazer30

A lot of it comes down to the type of driving you do and the way you drive.   I'm on MR2 number 3 now and not one of them has seen 300 miles from brimmed to light coming on.  High 200's is the norm for me but I do a lot of short start stop journeys.  

Still given MR2 #3 I have now is a 3rd car I'm only using about £50 a month in "fun" petrol anyway.   My leccy Zoe eats up miles for the daily grind/ regular short trips now.   Saves me a fortune.

Anonymous

How much does the Zoe cost to fully recharge?

s12vea

Mine gets between 260-320 miles and mine has a turbo strapped to it.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

stargazer30

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"How much does the Zoe cost to fully recharge?

Its too little to worry about.  But an easier measure.  Mine does 1000 miles a month and costs me about £20 to £30 a month in electricity.  It varies as most charge points are free, as is the parking so I only pay when I charge at home (which I do quite often).

Zero tax and servicing cost too.

Anonymous

That's pretty good.

I want a tesla model s

normanh

I can typically get 400 miles on a tank steady driving equates to 10 miles per litre, around town down to about 9 , had that since I owned the car 11 years now.

Norman

StuC

That is good going Norman.  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

2 of the left

I drive from Portsmouth to Newcastle on a full tank - No red light 300+ miles!! ( 02 reg Pfl )
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

s12vea

Quote from: "normanh"I can typically get 400 miles on a tank steady driving equates to 10 miles per litre, around town down to about 9 , had that since I owned the car 11 years now.

Norman

That's great Norman!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

utterclarity

I get around 320 miles without the light coming on, mostly major A roads doing (ahem) the speed limit. This is fairly consistent as I do that mileage twice that a week.

Tags: