Standard sump on 2zz

Started by wilko59, September 23, 2015, 17:15

wilko59

Is it essential to fit a baffled sump when running a 2zz would you say?

I'm told for spirited use the standard one will be fine but I'll be going to the ring in it next year. The sumps I've seen would probably cost the same as the trip but obviously don't want to kill the car.
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

Jiff Lemon

I'd swap the 1zz sump onto the 2zz.

wilko59

Is the 1zz not as deep then?
Red Edition -  Widermuller\'s bling, short shifter, ultimate gear linkages and billet cage mounts.  Garage59 manifold, Proflow quad exhaust and sports cat.  Kenwood/Garmin DNX.
Previous - PFL Blue H/Top & MRs Black 2zz

cabbydave

The 1zz has some baffling in but you do have to mod it a bit to fit

jonty

I used the 1zz sump as Dave said, with a spacer to lower the pickup on the advise of Jaworjawor - check his build thread for photos. It's very simple.

Personally if I wanted to upgrade further then Instead of buying an aftermarket sump I would build a square box around the pickup, with an inwards opening hinge in the middle of each of the sides (like a cat-flap) to trap the oil around the pickup - this is what the aftermarket pans use.

AmeR

I believe that's what a previous owner of my old HASS turbo kit did, but with a 2ZZ pan attached to a 1ZZ engine  s:D :D s:D  

For information, the bottom one is the stock 1ZZ pan.

jonty

Are there trapdoors/hinges in there AmeR? If so it'd be nice to see some detail photos if you have them!

AmeR

There was but I've since sold the pan and this is the only picture I took I am afraid  s:( :( s:(

jonty

Ah OK, that's a shame you no longer have it!

On my 200sx the GReddy sump ( m http://www.greddy.com/upload/img/1024.jpg m ) has a couple of hinges that block the 'wings', but there was about 2-3mm gap underneath... I filled it with oil to see how it performed, and the basic answer is badly - it poured out from the bottom in about 2 seconds. I extended each hinge so it sat nice and snug to the bottom, but obviously so there was no binding, and it then took about 10 or so seconds to empty, so I think it's quite important to make sure that the fit is good. the 200sx is fine on BTCC without any dips in oil pressure, so I feel good and confident in the sump now, and would be happy using a home built equivalent on the MR2.

Tags: