engine goosed??

Started by mickeyfish, September 25, 2015, 12:51

mickeyfish

engine started knocking today. checked oil. had to top it up(2.5l) to fill it. started engine, still knocking. is it goosed. if so, will I need a new engine. what engines will drop straight in if I need to buy one. gutted,,,only bought the car two months ago, from a well known uk dealer.,,,,,not even sure how much warranty they gave us( a month I think). missus is checking the blurb as I write..........vandalised paintwork,,,now this,,,,,feel like I should have bought a donkey n a big bag of carrots.

jonty

Unfortunately yes it is knackered. You'll need a replacement engine from Celica, Corolla, Avensis, etc... good news is they are cheap if you can fit yourself.

I would contact the seller and see if they can help out with the repair - if this doesn't work look at going down the consumer rights route, but since you prob haven't checked your oil in the 2 months you may not get very far with this... Best of luck though.

Jrichards20

2zz, only option, don't listen to anyone else.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Mightyquin

Had you checked the oil before? i.e. do you know if it's been low for a while?

Obviously check what warranty you have/had but regardless I'd still go back to the dealer and see what they have to say. If it's an oil burner they sold it to you with an inherent fault so you might have some comeback under sale of goods, or they might simply want to help you (I know, dealers aren't usually keen to help but I have been surprised in the past). At the very least they might be able to arrange a repair/replacement at trade price.

Good luck!

shnazzle

Does indeed sound goosed. First check the warranty situation. There's a good chance you're still under the terms where you can give it back as "unfit for purpose".
In the worst case, you'd be surprised what a decent 1zz from a broken MR2 goes for. That's your best bet. Best would be if you could hear the engine running in the breaker first and the car it came from has a service history. Alternatively there a new block from Toyota, but obviously much pricier.

If budget allows you can look at dropping a 2zz in, same logic applies. You just need to spend more in modifying other parts of the car whereas a 1zz with ECU will just drop straight in and run.
...neutiquam erro.

Treboeth

Quote from: "jonty"Unfortunately yes it is knackered. You'll need a replacement engine from Celica, Corolla, Avensis, etc... good news is they are cheap if you can fit yourself.

I would contact the seller and see if they can help out with the repair - if this doesn't work look at going down the consumer rights route, but since you prob haven't checked your oil in the 2 months you may not get very far with this... Best of luck though.

Avensis engine is different   s:( :( s:(  

Sad news hope you can get some help from the dealer   s:( :( s:(

Bernie

Definitely check warranty but also after 2 months it was never 'fit for purpose'
Have a word with Trading Standards or threaten it if the dealer isn't receptive
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

mickeyfish

there is no rattle under 2500rpm(ish), it drives normal. and it seems to be coming from top of engine. any ideas???
more of a deep rattle, than a knock.

mickeyfish

here's the clincher,,,,,,,my son is a mechanic at the same car dealer,( started working there a few days after me buying the car). if I go kicking and screaming to the dealer, It may cause problems for him. his best mate is a Toyota master tech dude, who is gonna have a look at it tomorrow.,,,,,there may be some light at the end of the tunnel,,,,maybe,,,,,possibly,,,,hopefully.

shnazzle

Hope so for you. Fingers crossed
...neutiquam erro.

jonty

Mine originally did it only from about 3k rpm, but got worse with about 10miles driving to diagnose and then park.

One thing with your son working at the dealer is they may be more ready to look after you, rather than it be a negative thing.. All depends on how you go about it I guess! Good luck!

mickeyfish

hope so. he is taking it over this morning, so that he and his mate can get their hands on it. could be a blessing with all those mucky necks on the case.

cabbydave

If you bought it off a dealer it should be 90 days

mickeyfish

called them today....they( the sales manager) don't want to know. they say it was bought as seen. 30 day warranty or 1000 miles. they just said I am stuffed.    cheeky b#####s.
after looking at it, my son and his mate say it could be big end. sounds like nuts and bolts flying round the engine. idles ok. but at 2500rpm, it starts with the noise.
sounds to me like top end,,,,,,what a racket. sounds a bit like a handful of bolts in a tumble dryer.

Jrichards20

No such thing as sold as seen from a dealer. Would kick up a fuss, they either attempt to help or you take legal action.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

mrzwei

Quote from: "mickeyfish"called them today....they( the sales manager) don't want to know. they say it was bought as seen. 30 day warranty or 1000 miles.

Bought as seen has no legal significance, the Sale of Goods Act trumps it and their warranty can't nullify the Act. Go to the CAB.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

StuC

+1
Dealers cannot do sold as seen. CAB are your friends here.  s:-D :-D s:-D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mickeyfish

they told me that a health check was done and the oil filter was replaced prior to hand over. also that their (runabout) range of cars( very aptly named), was similar to trade car sales. like bought as seen. my argument is, if it was checked and level was(allegedly) ok, then why should it lose just over two and a half litres of oil in 8 weeks, and 800 miles. they cannot dispute the oil amount either, because it was put in after it had been driven into their workshop on the day the noise started, by my son, who works there..( he uses the car for work the odd day). not suggesting they knew it had an engine problem before they sold it, but over 2.5l in 8 weeks????,  SOMETHING WAS WRONG.

Tomo70

Would still inform trading standards and see what they have to say. I bought a goosed car off E Bay was completely gutted primarily with myself for not noticing the noise when I test it.
Problem is it starts fine but it's not till 2500 rpm you get the noise. The first time I heared it was in an overtaking manoeuvre. The car had been 2 weeks in my possession and I had done 80 mile. My heart fell out of my arse.

In total it cost me £1100 to get her back on the road with a second hand low mileage engine. I have since had miles of smiles since. She is a keeper and takes pride of place in our garage. Linda ( wife) and I have had great holidays and weekends away.

If you want to talk in person I'm not for away I'll bring etjay round for you to have a look, only in Wakie.

Tom Owen
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

mickeyfish

I will see what happens when I approach the boss at the dealers. not sure if I can say who the dealer is on here. it was evans hallshaw,,part of their runabout range of cars. if I can get it sorted, it would be nice to meet up Tomo. otherwise I will have to spend more time in my s max titanium ( 7 seater bus lol).

mickeyfish

my son was doing some work at the dealers today. when he came back this afternoon, he said his boss had spoken to him about the MR. and said he wanted to help me regarding the problem. not sure what help he means, we shall see. fingers crossed eh.

Mightyquin

Hopefully they will help to resolve the problem at no or minimal cost to yourself.

It is tricky if your son has just started work there and I can understand your reluctance to create a fuss. See what they have to say first of course, but also read up on the sale of goods act in relation to used cars and maybe speak to CAB in the meantime just to arm yourself with some facts.

If you don't get the right response at first then maybe go and see this boss and have a friendly chat, just pointing out to him what your actual rights are and how you'd really prefer to sort something out without the need to involve CAB or small claims courts, but it was a business transaction between you and them at the end of the day, and you can't afford to deal with the problem yourself.

As a dealer they can fix the problem at a much lower cost than you'd be looking at if you went to another garage.

Mightyquin

Just out of interest I looked at the dealers website - says 'runabout' cars come with 'free main dealer guarantee' but it doesn't elaborate on what that actually means.

Also there's a lot of stuff about customer satisfaction on the website. I doubt they'd like to get any bad press for not living up to that stuff!

mickeyfish

here's the latest,,,spoke to one of the bosses today. they said they will fix the car @ £35 per hour staff rate....parts at cost plus 20%......HOWEVER, my son has to do it in his own time.,,,,,,,CRAAAZZZEEE.   what a joke....... then I mentioned c.a.b and sale of goods act. then they said they would have a word with their boss tomorrow,,,,,what a farce. they keep saying bought as seen. they cannot ( as a dealer) even use that term according to trading standards. my flabb has been well and truly gasted. looks like a new engine then.

tomaky

Give it them back and go elsewhere looks a stronger option.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Tags: